Who are your favourite and not-so-favourite producers/engineers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beagle, Mar 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah, I'd love to do that. Pretty darn hard though. A field trip to Abbey Road would be required. Hmmmm, that doesn't sound too bad.

By the way, one of the reasons those Shadows things sound soooo good, especially the pre 1964 stuff, is that they were done on three-track or four-track 1" tape, live with no bouncing. Since none of the stuff (like "Apache") was even mixed to stereo until the Greatest Hits in the late 1960's, avoiding the SQUASHED era of mixing, the stereo mixes had that uncompressed but creamy sound. Very nice.

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

shadows

Yes, EMI had those great tube 4 tracks on 1 inch tape. Fantastic sounding.

Apache is very nice in stereo, as is Wonderful Land. Those "copycat" echo units on Hank Marvins guitar are awesome. Nothing has sounded like that since, in my opinion.

Steve, if you did an SACD version of their greatest hits, you would sell a bunch. If you advertised in PIPLELINE magazine, every reader would buy one and they have a pretty large subscriber base.

3. I'm pretty much with Steve on his votes, with one notable exception.

Petty & Porter, along with Owen Bradly. Amazing stuff!!!!!!!

- - - -

I have a Bix Beiderbecke collection (credited as Produced by Orrin Keepnews)
    on cd that is awful. They stood a Victrola in the corner and mic'd it
    plaing Bix discs. What a terrible idea! This $17 disc is nearly unlistenable.

Clean records and a line feed, please. those recordings are coloured enough already.

- - - -

I was listening to Costello on vinyl tonight, amazed at how great
    those records still sound. I'd put the Lowe/Becherian produced work
    a mile ahead of the T-Bone or Mitchell Froom productions.
    Don't get me started on Clanger/Winstanley.

4. Brad Robinson

Brad Robinson New Member

shadows

After reading about the Shadows on this thread I was looking through the ccmusic.com website. They have the 6 disc box on sale for $70.00- 40 bucks off. Thought maybe someone would be interested;

www.ccmusic.com/item.cfm?itemid=EMI71712

Brad

5. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

I would add the ECM tandem of Manfred Eicher and Jan Erik Kongshaug, who certainly created their own very distinct blend of sound and music (Well, with some help from the actual artists of course:)).

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Was that Telefunken machine 1"? I know the Studers that they got in 1963 (which is what the Beatles eventually used - but not for the first 2 LPs...) were 1", but I've never heard much about the (single?) Telefunken 4-track they had used as far back as 1960 (mostly for classical stuff).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.