Who else dislikes iTunes?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by vinyl13, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackS

JackS Then Play On

The beginning of the end

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think that a problem with iTunes is that it tries to do too many things. I think it would be a better program if it was broken up into several programs, each focused on one aspect (music, podcasts, video, pictures). That way, the interface for each could be designed around that aspect.

keyse1, gd0 and Chrome_Head like this.
  3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I dont think we mean the same thing.

Here's selecting the songs.
    [​IMG]
    Here's selecting the attached iPOD.

[​IMG]

4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

This sums it up. And if you use an iPhone it's really all there is.

enro99 and Chrome_Head like this.
  5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

It's got to where I stopped updated iTunes on my PC's, and even uninstalled one of the newer versions and reinstalled an old one, because I loathe what they keep doing with every *87 MB* "update".

iTunes was great when it debuted, and progressively got worse and more bloat-heavy.

RPOZ51 likes this.
  6. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Still wouldn't be able to enjoy digital music without it. They messed up a lot of handy things gradually over the years, but at the end of the day it's this piece of software which makes me organise and discover hundreds of new songs every year through the play count and Smart Playlists functions. My iTunes Library is 13 years old, and I have a whole system in it, that's probably the main difference between how I use it and how people who are forcing themselves to listen to random mp3's use it. And that's not a dig, I understand the forceful way of Apple to do things their way is annoying and often inconvenient.

7. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I have that second view in my main library. I'll look for the settings when I get home.

8. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Interesting. I've used Music Bee (still have it on my PC) but my player of choice is Media Monkey and
    also Aimp. Where is the slideshow in MusicBee? Media Monkey allows you to scroll through the artwork
    while a track is playing, but not an automatic slideshow.
    At any rate, I tried ITunes about seven years ago, and thought it was silly and don't understand why
    so many people use it. There are a number of alternative, and less invasive, players out there.

9. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but iTunes should be offering the choice between lossy AAC files and ALAC lossless files by now. Virtually all other legal music download sites now give you this option, except it's usually FLAC instead of Apple's ALAC format.

I can't help thinking that iTunes are living ten years behind the times. Artists/record companies should be offering more digital booklets with their downloads as well. These two problems eliminated would encourage more people like myself to purchase from iTunes.

dzhason likes this.
  10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Go to View
    Show Sidebar
    Then choose Songs under Library
    Then View -> Column Browser -> Show Column Browser

[​IMG]

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Download someone else's pre-made customization that fits your needs an install that. Then install the extra components you need, if any. You don't need to be any sort of expert or programmer to move beyond the stock config.

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The reason they don't offer it is because their target market is "lifestyle customers" and people that don't care about lossless or even having something like a headphone jack. These customers have moved on to lossy streaming and bluetooth earbuds.

13. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Thanks but that really isn't necessary from a visual perspective as the PC monitor is always turned off until another member of the family wants to use it. The folder structure serves its purpose just fine mainly because I play albums in their entirety and don't bother with playlists. It's really out of curiosity that I am interested in customising the layout though not essential which explains why I haven't attempted it yet and probably never wil.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  14. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Forum Resident

It has its good points, but I voted "No."

I liked it more in the early years, and like it less and less with each ipdate.

As some others have pointed out, I don't like when they change things just for the sake of changing them. Controls and features that were comfortable, user-friendly, and useful just seem to get moved around in each successive ipdate for no apparent productive reason.

I also don't like thay it is not compatible with some lossless file formats.

The first commandment for a software designer doing an upgrade on an existing app should be, "Do no harm."

15. sbayle

sbayle Forum Resident

Wasn't it written by Microsoft? It's a worse hair ball than Windows Vista! But what's the alternative?

16. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

17. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

But,....iTunes is free.

18. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

Everytime they come out with an update, they usually take a feature away or hide in some ridiclous new place within the menu hierarchy. Unfortunately, I love my iPod Classic and am tied into their app no matter what.

hi_watt likes this.
  19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Been using it strictly for music for years. Haven't updated it in years either. I tunes to iPod to the big rig where I record CDR's of ANY music I buy. The CD's sound great!

20. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I use JRiver. Mostly because it easily plays all formats, all resolutions, on the fly. And partly because of the upsampling options (which I've come to enjoy, much to my surprise).

Otherwise, iTunes works fine, in bit-perfect mode.

If you stick to basic lossless ALAC (or lossy mp3).

And especially if you are willing to lose all the Consumer Convenience Crap, like syncing, smart playlists, allowing iTunes to organize your files, connection to Apple Music, buying music at the Apple Store to begin with, etc etc etc. All that stuff can be deactivated, and that will allow a more serious music collector to maintain a (relatively) safe library, and play it back in good quality.

But all those convenience items are prime Apple selling points; Normal Consumers want them. And Apple sees fit to make them defaults. Undo them; us Not-Normals should be used to workarounds by now.

Like I said, I use JRiver. But I also maintain a duplicate iTunes library. It ain't hard. But I am detached.

dadonred and xj32 like this.
  21. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

How do you scroll through the artwork on Media Monkey? I didn't know you could do that.

22. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Pretty much mirrors exactly my feelings and what I do.

I will add that while I use iTunes first for consolidating the files I create/rip in XLD and for playlist creation and such, I have just started using Swinsian for playback IE bit perfect.

23. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Open the AlbumArt window (I have mine resized to full screen) hover the curser in the window, and use the mouse
    wheel to move through the images. (I use MM 3.xx, 4.0 may be different). Just wish they also could have it
    slideshow through the images automatically.

Roberto899 likes this.
  24. Dante Fontana

Dante Fontana Forum Resident

Certain updates have been a bit annoying, but generally happy with its organising abilities and at least it's doesn't constantly crash like Amarra (which is the only other software I've used).

25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Thanks - you're right, but that really doesn't seem work for attached iPods. Not in my experience. That's why I found the technique I came across to be such a relief and surprise.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.