Who else dislikes iTunes?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by vinyl13, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Used it for ten years with few issues as a store, player, database, rip discs. I like it, it does the job. Features I don't like, like the cloud or links to the store, I just turn off. I also manually tag my stuff and add art to how I want it.

2. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've never used it.... I refuse to pay for air.

3. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Nice to see you guys forming a support group after the way iTunes done hurt you and broke your hearts. :)

I like iTunes fine as a media database and player, but even a relatively fanboyish user like me is looking forward to the day it breaks up into a less elephantine bunch of elegant sub-applications. Here's an enticing conceptual proposal for how it could be done:

http://interface.fh-potsdam.de/itunes/

4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

It's a free app for Mac and pc

e.s. and Huck Caton like this.
  5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

The fun thing about this thread is how you can tell who really has never used it, yet don't like it.

billnunan, Marzz, npc210 and 12 others like this.
  6. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I have never bought anything from them and may never. I had them installed after a time on my last computer and debated on some "EP" download on there but that was the only thing I wanted,
    and I passed on it, and have not installed them on my newer computer.
    I have no real need for iTunes.
    And they SUCKED for forcing U2's last one on everybody (whether you like them or not, it was an inconvenience for anyone who uses that who didn't want it).

klockwerk likes this.
  7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I almost did! My, the shame I would have had to live with. :wtf:

8. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Never get out of the boat. Absolutely god d*** right.

Bye tiger. Bye tiger!

9. DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave Forum Resident

iTunes would be better and more intuitive if all the app stuff was moved to the Mac App Store. That way iTunes would just be about buying / managing media stuff and less bloated.

edised likes this.
  10. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I don't use iTunes and I really really hate the new player/interface whatever you want to call it on my phone. It's the most user unfriendly player I've ever used. I want the old one back.

11. mds

mds Forum Resident

I do not like being controlled the way Apple likes to take control of you PC and music choices. If it weren't for the fact my work issues me both an iPhone and pad it would not be on my PC. It's only use is to load music onto these devices, and I will never allow it to scan and control all my music files. I only upload to iTunes the few dozen albums I want to listen to and then delete and add others as I choose. My program I use for my music is Foobar, but I must admit I have no idea how to use the majority of its features and I like that it doesn't want to control me nor me it.

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think it has a terrible UI. I only use it to stream online radio stations.

SixtiesGuy likes this.
  13. MrTim

MrTim Forum Resident

I don't mind it, I mostly use it to store music I want to make cdr's of to play in the car. I also use it to play music on my computer speakers and that's pretty much it. I do keep a back up of the files on a external hard drive just in case.

14. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I like it fine.

Huck Caton likes this.
  15. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

It's alright. I don't have an iPod, and I just use a cheap MP3 player for the car, so no problems with syncing. I also don't buy music off of iTunes, I refuse to pay the same price for an identical digital release as a physical one. I only use it for my rips, both CD and vinyl. It's a very temperamental beast, but I've worked out most of the kinks in organizing music. Though I admit I about put my fist through my monitor when I couldn't get a proper sorting of "The Epic" by Kamasi Washington despite my best effort with sort fields (I have NEVER had to use the disk numbering input to get an album to sort before).

16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

No, of course not.

billnunan likes this.
  17. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Works for me... I rip CDs into it, organize music, sync the albums I want to hear...

I will admit though, sometimes the program can be a pain, especially when upgrading to a newer version.

18. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

My take is that it has it's uses but it really needs to be totally redesigned to where it's not so damn hard to find the function you want to do. I've set at the screen many times with a deer-in-headlights look just trying to figure out how to do something as simple as burn a disc, for gosh sakes. o_O I've learned all those basic things since but it could still use a redesign.

19. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

It's just a massive pain all the way around. I will never use it. iTunes should not require separate software to access the store.

20. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of it and I've actually gone back to version 10 specifically so I can open multiple playlist windows and move songs back and forth via drag n' drop (I'm on Windows PC, btw). I still have an iPod Classic 160GB player so obviously I need iTunes to manage my music for that device.

The initial learning curve involving weird quirks regarding how it handles/duplicates files (or not) and with certain past updates, etc that has cost me having to rebuild 30 - 40+ playlists from scratch and re-import a couple hundred Gigs of music (thank God I back everything up twice on two separate HDs) has cost me some serious teeth gnashing in the past. I find the CD-R burning tool to be buggy every so often. I've *never* bought music from the iTunes store, only ripping and re-naming/titling my music from CDs or HD-type downloads via other software like EAC.

But it's the purposely counter user-intuitive and invasive nature of iTunes that really bugs me in a fundamental way.

21. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

Tried it. Horrible, for various reasons already mentioned. Never again. My best friend loved his iPod for a long time until he got a FiiO, but he never used iTunes software, except to try it once and reject it as I did. It is simply unnecessary. There might be exclusive iTunes music we can't get, but I can live with that. Foobar for me at the moment.

22. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I used it once, for a total of 23-31 seconds back in 2004...BIGGEST PIECE OF CRAP EVER! I don't feel as though I should actually have to read any instructions to operate a piece of unfamiliar software, I'd rather complain about the piece of crap.

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I don't dislike it. I just don't use it. :)

24. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Sad to say as an Apple shareholder that I hate what it has become. Hated Match. I didn't even try the new version of Apple Music, I just use Spotify. Apple does not understand that not everybody owns 100 albums (only) and wants them on all of their devices. Awful UI.

Their upgrades have felt like downgrades in the past decade. It's all a struggle.

sound chaser likes this.
  25. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

What little I've used of itunes I found to be a pain.You can dump itunes.JRiver and pono will play your music.

vinyl13 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.