Who else is happy to see that the vinyl revival may be coming to an end?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Jan 16, 2023.

1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Not any different than the Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian. You might have an original airplane but the tires are reproductions. Unfortunately, some objects of historical significance were never destined for eternity. That is the way it is.

Reminds me of the 60's Time Machine movie. Our time traveler is taken to see "books". They are no longer of any use.

Besides the original tapes, are there going to be tape machines to play back the tapes in fifty or a hundred years?

Ampexed likes this.
  2. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

And where are the people who have the tribal knowledge to maintain analog tape machines going to come from? They're already rare, and getting rarer. I know I'm getting pretty rare.

timind and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

huh? there will always be people who can read and understand a service manual.

Big Blue and timind like this.
  4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

ah, perfect. let's compare a used cd with a new record. and, while we're at it, let's set the price of that imaginary new record at 50 bucks, because why not? nevermind that most brand spanking new single lps are still in the 20-25 dollar range.

if you have to strain this hard to try and make a "point", you've already lost.

Big Blue likes this.
  5. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

There is already a shortage of people who can work on professional and consumer reel to reel machines. Just having a service manual (when they can be had at all) is not enough. With these machines, it takes years of actually working on them to know how to properly maintain/restore them. It is a learned skill.

Sure, you can get a service manual for a car engine, but that doesn't mean you automatically have the skills of an auto mechanic who's been doing it for decades.

You obviously are either very young or you have no experience in working on analog machines. You don't know what you don't know.

timind, Triffid and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

yeah, ok. i'm not young and i'm currently elbow deep in a tascam 38. but thanks for your input.

7. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

You also are rather abrasive. Must take skill to do that in such a short time, and such a short time to get onto my ignore list.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

forgive me for defending myself against this sugary sweet sentiment: "You obviously are either very young or you have no experience in working on analog machines. You don't know what you don't know."

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

That's funny. Not really my cup of tea. I don't think you could pay me to listen to music I don't care for that much on my own time. Any given thrift store probably has loads of Mantovani, Streisand, Andy Williams, and Christmas records for sale cheap, but I don't have any use for those either :).

The Trinity and nosliw like this.
  10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

so what you're saying is you DON'T love a rainy night?

11. SandAndGlass

These are incredibly complex mechanical machines, then you have the electronics. Then there is the matter of parts.

Try finding a good TV repair man...

Finding good hands-on people that can repair a toster today is a challenge.

Triffid and Ampexed like this.
  12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Thankfully I live in a place where you can find a lot of skilled people to work on vintage electronics. There will always be people like that in my opinion.

Big Blue likes this.
  13. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

Didn't explain myself properly...

90% of the time I prefer vinyl and completely agree the average price is as you say $25 - $35 USD (i always quote canadian prices without clarifying)

What I was trying to say was, in some cases I have found really good sounding CD's for $2 (CDN) which are more than acceptable to me, if the only alternative is a $50 (CDN) LP re-issue.

nosliw likes this.
  14. SandAndGlass

It's introducing them to audio as we know it. There is a curiosity that is aroused. Friends gather together to listen to records again

TarnishedEars likes this.
  15. SandAndGlass

How clever of them to take a medium that has a extensive dynamic range and then add dynamic compression to the source music being placed on it. :crazy:

TarnishedEars and Ampexed like this.
  16. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

In this day and age, who could be bothered to fix a TV, unless we're talking vintage.

jeff

Icethorn and timind like this.
  17. DigitalSupremacy

DigitalSupremacy Compact Disc warrior

probably cheaper to just buy a new one

Big Blue likes this.
  18. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

Nobody makes reel to reel analog tape machines anymore, except for a couple who charge exorbitant prices. It is impossible to "just buy a new one".

If you're talking televisions of course you can buy a new one and the landfills will thank you. :shake:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. DigitalSupremacy

DigitalSupremacy Compact Disc warrior

I was talking about the guy looking for a T.V repair man

Big Blue likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

I was speaking of vintage.

21. SandAndGlass

See prior post.

22. OldandBroken

OldandBroken Forum Resident

Place not too far away sells refurbished and repairs them J-Corder Luxury Audio

23. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I think the decline is due to exposure to dsd... :laugh:

24. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

I've been doing the exact same thing for the last year or so, searching out mid to late 1980s CD releases for many albums before they were remastered and severely squashed dynamically.

I had to jump through hoops to find uncompressed versions of Madonna tracks as well as Laura Branigan's big hits from the early 1980s.

The original album releases for both were uncompressed, but virtually every appearance of their hits on Rhino compilation CDs and Greatest Hits albums by either are very severely squashed.

It is quite insane, isn't it?

There are many albums - Taylor Swift's original release of 1989 is one - where the LP actually has greater dynamic range than the released CD does.

nosliw and SandAndGlass like this.
  25. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident

But those aren't new machines, and I would guess the owner isn't exactly young.

SandAndGlass likes this.