Who else were playing professionally as children?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Jonny Lang

2. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

That was great!

vince likes this.
  3. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift were 15 when they started touring. Shawn Mendes was 16.

4. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Kate Bush was writing scores of compositions
    and at 16 impressed David Gilmour enough to have recordings made and EMI take her under their wing till she burst on the scene three years later in 1978.

The first song

The Man With the Child in His Eyes

Sytze, andrewskyDE and royzak2000 like this.
  5. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Doyle from the Misfits was 16, maybe 17.

dirtmert likes this.
  6. trebori

trebori Forum Resident

This may not fit but how about Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart? Was performing professionally and composing by the age of 6 and did so throughout the rest of his life. They're still performing his music.

7. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Chris Thile

Panama Hotel likes this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Somebody get ahold of Phil & Gloria Pritchett...I think we've found Manny's dream girl...

9. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Jimmy Page joined Neil Christian and the Crusaders when he was 15 years old. They were "professional" in the sense that they had a regular touring schedule (and none of the guys had day jobs), but it would be another 3 years before Christian signed a recording contract.

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Gayla Peevey had her big hit, "I want A Hippopotamus For Christmas" at age 10.

Barry Gordon was singing "I'm Gettin' Nothin' For Christmas" with The Fontane Sisters when he was 6.

11. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy Thread Starter

No on the bob dylan - among how many others on this list

12. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

George Harrison, first joined the Beatles when he was 15.

13. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Poor little Lenny Breau! Old "Lone Pine" used to smack him around backstage when
    he would try to sneak jazz licks into his country-pickin' at live shows.

[​IMG]

Panama Hotel likes this.
  14. A6mzero

A6mzero One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal

Allison Krause and Earl Scruggs. Those bluegrass folks start early.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Charlie Haden played with his family's bluegrass band.

PHILLYQ likes this.
  16. buddachile

buddachile Forum Resident

Damn, you beet me to it.

Also, Steven McDonald!

Lightworker likes this.
  17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Jazz drummer Tony Williams was 13 when he started playing professionally with guys like Sam Rivers.
    Jackie McLean and Miles Davis hired him when he was 16.

[​IMG]

18. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

john maher the buzzcock's firs dummer was 16 when they started.

19. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

According to the liner notes by Keith Olesen on the Arhoolie LP "Maddox brothers and Rose: 1946-1951 volume 1", they started performing regularly on the radio station KTRB in Modesto, California in 1937. One of the conditions to getting the gig was they had to have a girl singer, so Fred Maddox assured they did have the "very best" girl singer. Then they recruited 11-year old kid sister Rose, who knew about three songs at the time, including "Philadelphia lawyer". The band weren't paid for the radio gig but that got them started in the live circuit, so I guess that kicked off their professional career.

20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I was working at a country radio station in 1973 when Tanya Tucker, chaperoned by her dad, came by for an on-air interview.

She was the picture of innocence and youthful enthusiasm. Hard to reconcile with her image just a few short years later.

Silksashbash and Lightworker like this.
  21. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Little Peggy March was 14 when she recorded and released her hit single "I Will Follow Him."

scousette and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Jackie Evancho.

[​IMG]

"A worldwide sensation when she was only ten years old, Jackie Evancho has moved past the exuberant promise of a child prodigy vocalist, becoming a mature young adult with a clear direction as to where she, as a creative artist, is taking her career as a singer. A career that began with a little girl's fascination with the film soundtrack of The Phantom of the Opera and has become an evolving and enduring musical phenomenon.

Since she first dazzled American television audiences at the age of 10 - gaining global recognition with her stunning debut on NBC's America's Got Talent - Jackie Evancho has released a string of platinum and gold albums, with sales of over 3 million in the US. Along the way, she has also made history - the youngest solo platinum artist ... the youngest Top 5 debut artist ever in the U.K. ... the youngest person to give solo concert at Lincoln Center ... the highest-ranking debut artist of 2010. All seven of Jackie's albums have hit No. 1 on the Billboard Classical chart. The magnitude of her success led Billboard twice (in 2010 and 2012) to include Jackie on its list of "music movers-and-shakers under the age of 21.""

23. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Mike Oldfield was 15 when he recorded an album with his sister Sally under the Sallyangie moniker.

LivingForever likes this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Jasmine Thompson.

"Jasmine Ying Thompson (born 8 November 2000) is an English singer and songwriter. Thompson began her career at the age of ten by filming herself singing and uploading the videos to YouTube.[3] In 2014, she was featured on German deep house producer Robin Schulz's song "Sun Goes Down".[3] This song charted within the top 10 in multiple countries including Australia, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.[4] As of May 2018, her YouTube channel has over 3.1 million subscribers and over 530 million views."

Let Her Go - Passenger (Official Video Cover by Jasmine Thompson)

Jasmine Thompson
    Published on May 12, 2013

SUBSCRIBED 3.2M
    My cover of 'Let Her Go' by Passenger. My mum took a break so I recorded and filmed it all by myself. Hope you enjoy! x

25. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I understand the Stephen was about 11 when the Red Cross (Redd Kross)
    e.p. on Posh Boy came out. Big bro Jeff was 15.

[​IMG]

buddachile likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.