Who is the most famous artist you've met/spoken to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mercuryvenus, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Putrifiers II

Putrifiers II Forum Resident

Paul McCartney at an art exhibition private view. Holly Johnson, Nick Mason and Peter Blake were also there.

Chazz Avery and Fishoutofwater like this.
  2. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

My sister and I got backstage passes to a Sting concert. She was a really big fan. Happy 40th birthday from me to my big sister. just a photo opp and handshake. He didnt talk much

I also met Phil Collen and his wife out shopping before a def leppard show. Shook his hand, got an autograph. Quick interaction. He came across as a nice guy

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  3. Brettlowden

Brettlowden Forum Resident

What was the Hank Williams story?

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I got lucky in the fact that at first there were many people hanging around and doing the usual "Man, Ray youre the best" and gave me time to settle my thoughts and just observe for a few minutes. I guess the folks got the messege that Ray wasnt feeling that well nor was in the mood for pats on the back. I dont think that was his style anyway. He just wanted to sing and give a good performance. Very old school country attitude.

I doubt if anyone there knew his connection to Hank Williams Sr. Or at least the fans that were fawning over him. I knew he had known Hank Williams Sr though and had to ask what he was like. I formulated the question as best I could without sounding like a total fool.

I politely asked him if I might ask him a question concerning Hank Williams Sr. His eyes immediately darted to me like he was surprised I knew he was his friend. He said "Sure" and I asked if he could tell me a story or something about Hank Williams that most dont know. He kind of laughed and then started telling me that Hank Williams loved cartoons. Apparently enjoyed watching them. He said Hank would really get cracked up. Enjoyed comedy type stuff. Like the Warner Brothers Loony Tunes and Merry Melodies cartoons. Liked Daffy Duck. I found this funny as hell and imagined ol' Hank sitting there hee-hawing to Porky Pig and company lol. Maybe not deep revelatory info about Hank but it was very cool hearing it from Ray Price because it gave a golden thread of connection to the past.

The question seemed to loosen Ray up and he started talking about Hank and how he cherished the friendship they had. Went on to talk about things we all know about Hank Williams. One thing that he did mention about Hank Williams was his uncanny ability to make a song just about anywhere and anything. Had a unique way of placing an angle on the simplist of subjects and topics. He mentioned something about when he and Hank fished one time and Hank practically wrote a song right there but decided it wasnt a good one. I always wonder what that song might have been.

We sat there until he had to go back on. I shook his hand and said thank you for the great stories and your time Mr Price. Then he went back to being kind of grumpy and to perform. Saw him twice at the StarDust. One doesnt realize how strong his voice was unless theyve seen him live. Merle Haggard was the same way. Incredibly ressonant voices. Im a singer and I can kind of immitate Merle. But when I heard him live I was like "Ok yeah, this guy is on a different level." Same with Ray Price. Always a pro too. Just stood there and this amazing voice came out of him. I feel very lucky to have danced while a legend of country music sang to us.

5. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

The jazz pianist Stan Tracey at Ronnie Scott's in 1960

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  6. Aegir

Aegir Forum Resident

I was backstage at a Springsteen concert once. I got to shake Max Weinberg's hand and saw Nils Lofgren driving around in a tiny toy car that was probably designed for a toddler, with his knees up to his face, and then as he passed by I saw the tiny toy car had a fake license plate in the back that read NILS. It was one of the more absurd things I've seen in my life.

Through the same connection, and also around the same time period, I went to the Paul McCartney show at CitiField where they recorded Good Evening New York City. I got to see the soundcheck - the audience was about 10 or 15 folding chairs set up in front of the stage. A few seats away was Oprah. Then at the concert itself a few feet away from me on one side was Alec Baldwin and on the other side was the Olsen twins. I didn't speak to any celebrities at this concert, though.

Getting to less famous now, I was one of the first people to arrive for a Blondie Chaplin concert at a very small venue, so my friend and I ended up having a 10-minute conversation with him because we were basically the only other people there. I also got a picture with him, and a picture with Al Jardine, after a Brian Wilson concert.

I've also met a number of indie rock musicians, but is that even noteworthy?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  7. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Thanks for the info; I hadn't realized that he'd done a solo record. How is/was the album/concert?

8. Brettlowden

Brettlowden Forum Resident

Thanks for your reply. Ray Price actually had an apartment with Hank at one point in time. I read where Ray had to move out. Hank didn't want him to.
    Fascinating stuff thanks for sharing it.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  9. gponter79

gponter79 Forum Resident

Jeff Beck probably. Sat in his dressing room with him after a show in Oxford circa 2014.
    My Dad accidently picked up his mobile phone thinking it was his and put it in his bag (don't ask), fortunately I spotted this before we headed home and had to find JB on his bus before he realised.

Awkard then but funny now :)

Lost In The Flood and DTK like this.
  10. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Pete Townsend and John Entwistle at RCMH in 1989.
    Elvis Costello at KFOG the same year.
    Randy Newman, at a Clapton / Knopfler concert in 1988.

11. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Mostly his time in the band Rare Bird for an article I'm going to write, but we did get on to Spinal Tap towards the end.

mx20 likes this.
  12. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I guess it depends on who you consider 'most famous.'

Paul Simon
    Bruce Dickinson
    Dio
    Willie Nelson

When I worked at HMV on 72nd & Broadway we had people like Yoko Ono, Michael Jackson and Jimmy Page visit to shop. I saw Jimmy, but didn't meet him. Yoko lived up the street, but I never managed to see her.

13. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Very cool indeed!

14. It's Felix

Yoko would be a league above the rest, along with Paul Simon in my mind :)

15. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

A really nice guy, but I had to admit to him that I've never seen the Spinal Tap film!

16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Simon was not the nicest person I've met...

DTK likes this.
  17. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I'd love to meet Willie someday.

18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Such a sweet guy.

19. It's Felix

Shame

20. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

nice to hear that, I thought he would be but you never know

rockerreds likes this.
  21. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

John Martyn
    Dolores O'Riordan
    Phil Lynott. (when he did a an Irish tour with Grand Slam)
    Noel Redding.
    Also, some more Irish acts you wouldn't know.

DTK likes this.
  22. Maurice Gibb and Lulu gave me a spin in their Mini Cooper just after Brian Epstein died. Met and had a drink with Slade in Majorca when i was 15. Met Status Quo and Whitesnake in Mortlake on a regular basis in my 20s. Had a beer with Joan Armatrading in Kingston in my early 30s and a smoke with Steve Hillage sometime around that period. All of them were so friendly. Sadly none of them will remember me. Oh well, nice memories

AlmostHeavenWV and Putrifiers II like this.
  23. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

The Eagles played a concert in my hometown Graz when I was eight years old. I sat in the second row with my parents and I think that I was the youngest person in the audience. After one hour a security guy came and gave some plectrums to my father. He said that Glenn Frey have sent them for me. Five minutes later Glenn Frey gestured by his hands if we have got the plectrums. We nodded and he smiled back. This is one of the reasons why I think that this was the greatest concert I ever attended to!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  24. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

David Gilmour told me he liked my shirt.

25. It's Felix

There must
    There must be Famous french rockstars on ile de re’ in summer... one of our favourite places, by the way....

Fishoutofwater likes this.