Who is the most famous artist you've met/spoken to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mercuryvenus, Oct 15, 2020.

1. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Richie Furay - thanked him for a great show and for coming up to New England at the height of winter.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  2. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

And Chad Stuart told me he liked my beard .

3. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Do tell....

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  4. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

I ran into Ike Willis before the 1988 Springfield Show. I told him how much I enjoyed the Hartford shows. I also to him I had his cd Venting the Krypton Gas and enjoyed it.

Saw Sha Na Na at the Oakdale in Wallingford Ct either late 73 or early 74. Afterwards took my date the Dinos which was very much like Mels Diner in Happy Days. We were eating at a table in the take out area when who comes in but most of the band. I pointed them out to my date and told her I was going to go talk to them. I went up and said Hello. They looked terrified that they had been spotted. I told them I simply wanted to thank them for the great show they just put on. When they realized that I wasn’t about to attack them Lenny stepped forward and told me that they really enjoy putting on a good show for their audience.

Brettlowden and agundy like this.
  5. Marc Daniel

Marc Daniel Forum Resident

Through both my work and where I live I have met a lot of famous people. But two of the weirdest by far were both Marlon Brando.

The first time I was doing a bunch of work at his neighbor Jack's house. At the end of the day I was checking a trench for some new camera cables we were installing, when all of a sudden out pops Marlon from the bushes. He kind of mumbles something like what are you doing, so I explain. Then I ask him why he has all those radio antennas on his roof. He says its so he can talk to his people in Tahiti. I say "oh you mean Tetiaroha." Well he was completely blown away that I knew the islands name. I told him I used to read a lot of books about sailing when I was a kid. And like nothing it was like we were friends. We probably talked for at least an hour and a half. He gave me a lecture on wearing sunscreen, how the system, in particular kick backs worked, it was crazy. Parts of the conversation were in the Apocalypse Now voice. Really! The whole thing was surreal.

I was going to post my Cloris Leachman story on her RIP page, but I will try post it here another day. She was awesome!

6. McRich

McRich Forum Resident

Played pool with Bob Geldolf in Chicago many years ago. He was playing at a club downtown and I went to buy tickets the day of the show. He was hanging out at the club during the day playing pool. We chatted for a bit about his solo albums and autobiography. He asked if I wanted to play pool. Yes, he won. Came back later and had a blast at his club show. Intimate place and he had a great band. Good times.

oneslip17 likes this.
  7. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Probably Steven Wilson at a Home Invasion signing.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  8. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

Brian May, nice guy.

Chazz Avery likes this.
  9. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

10. Chrsal

Chrsal Forum Resident

Was at the Grammy awards in early 90s one year at Radio City. Had an extended conversation with Steve Howe about ABWH and the Union album. Super nice guy. Not sure if he thought I was in the industry or just a fan. The same night after the show we were at a party and someone came up behind us and said “you guys seen BB”. It was Buddy Guy and think he won some award that night. We walked around with him and found BB King and was I introduced. Both of them super nice. I met a ton of people that night.

11. pierogy

pierogy Forum Resident

What was Vessel (Devant frontman) like? From his interviews, he seems like a friendly, down-to-earth bloke who has a tendency to launch off into impenetrable philosophical statements. He treats his fans very well ("all done by kindness" is his motto).

12. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

Townshend and Entwistle
    All of Slade
    All of Cheap Trick
    Elvis and the Attractions
    Paul Weller
    Francis Rossi
    Andy Fraser
    Ron and Russell Mael
    Wreckless Eric

13. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

former friends.

14. Jimmy Cagoots

Jimmy Cagoots Senior Member

I flew on the same plane from Chicago to Connecticut with Chuck Berry. It was 1970 and I had just bought his latest album and had it with me . I met him at baggage claim and he was very cordial. Shook my hand and signed my record. Unfortunately it was on the shrink wrap, but you can still see the impression on the jacket.

Jerry and 12stringbassist like this.
  15. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Music Addict

The MOST famous would probably be Iggy Pop... twice.

Then, probably...
    PJ Harvey
    REM
    Steve Albini
    Pete Best
    Meat Puppets

Several others who are famous but it was very brief such as Joey and Dee Dee Ramone. And MANY who are a little less famous these days such as The Replacements. Then, there is Carina Round who is actually a friend.

The longest I hung out with anyone besides Carina Round was Mike Watt in Columbus in 1987 after a fIREHOSE show. About an hour. We were in the band's van. My friend and I kept trying to talk about alternative music but Watt kept turning the conversation to Madonna's then current new album.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Music Addict

I played a game of pool with Bob Mould May 18, 1985 at Traxx in Detroit. He won. We discussed Husker Du reissuing Everything Falls Apart which, at that time, was out of print.

17. Never seen anyone of fame in the 17yrs we have been here. We live about an hour from the island.

18. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I know I googled your location. Il de re is such a cool place, you are lucky.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  19. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Don Van Vliet told me he liked my shoes.

20. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I met Harold Mabern (RIP), had my photo taken with him.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  21. captgriff

captgriff Forum Resident

What a great musician. Saw him many times during his final years in the trio with Joe Farnsworth.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  22. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

Glen Hansard - Taylor Hawkins - Jeff Ament - Mike McCready -that would probably be a sweet band

23. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

He appeared at Shanghai Jazz in Madison, NJ and since I know the owner I sat right next to him. He was there with Eric Alexander. Although Eric took some breaks Harold never did. He worked very hard. It was a great evening.

24. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Gary Numan and George Harrison, both at Shepperton Film Studios, where i used to work in the mid-eighties.

M321115 and Oatsdad like this.
  25. jeff1818

jeff1818 Forum Resident

Will Smith at the Virgin Mega Store in Times Square back in 2001 when Willenium (sp?) came out. I bought the disc and he signed it!