Who Is The Most Obscure Artist You Listen To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryduck

bryduck Forum Resident

Trey Gunn's band when he was a student at the University of Oregon--Punishment Farm. Used to do a killer live version of "I Will Follow." They put out a cassette-only, all-originals album in the early 1980s that he has yet to see fit to re-release. Imagine! ; )

2. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Those are really not that obscure, but you listen to good music.

3. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Lyme - the only album title I know of is "Skin The Knee On The Beauty Queen" sort of alternative/hard rock.

4. rwil

rwil Well-Known Member

There's a Scottish pop band I absolutely adore called California Snow Story. I have two CDs by them and love them both, but I can't find out anything about the band other than one of them was in Camera Obscura once upon a time.

5. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

OK. You all listen to some really obscure music. I kinda expected that, though.

It took me until post #40 to even find a band that I recognized (Deerhoof).
    #49 (Shawn Phillips) was the first who's music I've actually heard & have a little familiarity with. Not a fan, though.
    Finally at post #166 did I find a band that I'm a huge fan of, Pavement.

Probably not very obscure to you all, but the 3 most obscure that I've listened to recently probably are The Geraldine Fibbers, The Pizzicato Five, and Fanny Adams.

6. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Well, the back of my CD says it was recorded at his studio in Englewood Cliffs, NJ on 3/8/60. It cites RVG as recording engineer with "supervision" by Chris Albertson. I only said it was recorded at his studio, which I recognized from the jazz titles . According to the notes, it was Albertson who found him at the school, bought him a new axe, and set up the session.

7. karaoke

karaoke Forum Resident

Not obscure in Canada tho, and lead singer Jian Ghomeshi is now a well-known radio host on CBC.

8. karaoke

karaoke Forum Resident

David Ackles, Head Hands and Feet, Adrian Belew

9. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

The Chaplains: Vanderbilt University's signal contribution to 60s music. Their untitled "white album," released in the spring of 1966, is a classic. There is a much more recent 2-cd set that includes everything off the "white album" plus a number of previously unreleased demos.

10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I have a CD called Extra Long Life that is actually a Big Sugar dub/remix side-project under the name "Alkaline".... considering how infrequently there are even any Big Sugar discussions around here, I highly doubt that there are many forum members with the Alkaline CD in their collections. ;)

11. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

Be Like Pablo - An 80's influenced pop band from the north of Scotland - They descrtibe themselves as "Beach Boys with Scottish accents". Issued a couple of singles and last August released their debut album as a free download on their website www.belikepablo.com. Their "The Post It Song" was one of my favourite singles of 2010.

12. WobblyWilly

WobblyWilly Forum Resident

If it's obscure in the 'States, you can imagine how rare it is out here in the jungles of Africa! I have three great albums of Laura Love whom you might know and several by local artist Valiant Swart, whom most of you won't.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  13. Jimmy Chop

Jimmy Chop Forum Resident

Erik Voeks - many moons ago released one fantastic power pop album called "Sandbox".

14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I love this album. Terry Allen now lives up the road from me in Santa Fe.

15. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Say hello to Mr. Allen and when you meet him at the drugstore tell him that there's a guy in Italy who thinks that Highplans Jamboree is one of the most beautiful love songs ever recorded by humans. Bye and thanks.

16. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Thirteen Moons

17. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

David Ackles

18. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Agitpop - Poughkeepsie's premier alternative band from the 80s
    Cargoe - Big Star's label-mates at Ardent who made one great LP and vanished
    Bunky and Jake - forum member JohnnyD turned me onto this great husband/wife duo from the 60s
    -------- Chris

19. olson

olson Forum Resident

Hazmat Modine & Tin Hat Trio

20. zen

zen Senior Member

U.K. were a sell out from the beginning, just like any band with a contract to a record company.

21. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

22. fsfang2

fsfang2 Forum Resident

The Front. 90's band that reminded me of the Doors.

23. WalterDigsTunes

WalterDigsTunes Forum Resident

Now that's something I'd like to hear!

24. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

My ex loved Laura Love. I don't think I've heard any of her stuff since we broke up, though.

25. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I am a big fan of mexican blues singer Betsy Pecanins. I doubt anyone here knows who she is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.