Who Is The Most Obscure Artist You Listen To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mondayschild

Mondayschild Guest

Akira Rabelais

Jason W likes this.
  2. inperson

inperson Senior Member

The Quevemen. Really cool stuff.

I lied. I made it up.

3. Bruriah

Bruriah Forum Resident

Well, perhaps Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I've been enjoying these albums for years:
    Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

gybe.png

Yanqui U.X.O.

YANQUI.jpg

4. Chris Albertson

Chris Albertson Member In Memoriam

Correction: Lonnie was working as a janitor at the Benjamin Franklin Hotel when I came across him. He did not return to work after we did the first Prestige session, he returned to the music scene. I should add that Lonnie was a star in the '20s, big enough to make numerous recordings under his own name and as a guest soloist with Louis Armstrong's classic Hot Five and Duke Ellington. He was sometimes out of the spotlight, but never "obscure."

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2013
    bluesbro likes this.
  5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Removing online items since that could open up a whole new set of obscure...one artist that comes to mind for me is Middlemarch. I have their CD "Goat", from 1992. Pic from Discogs:

[​IMG]

6. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

Hugh Hopper

7. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I feel like most of what I listen to is beyond obscure. And now of course, I have to go through THIS dang thread and make a list of all the artists I need to check out. It never ends! Sakes!

8. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

John Eller.

9. Ditmasduke

Ditmasduke Forum Resident

the Dimitri Gurevitch Quintette

They were a Brooklyn band, around i'd say from '97 to '02?

They mixed jazz, punk, progressive rock, grindcore, weird Russian Jewish party music, and anything else they felt into their sound, and didn't sound contrived or forced.

10. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I listen to a bunch of indies. In fact, just programmed a station of artists that probably you never heard of 99% of them.

http://IMPeccableRadio.com

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Obscure??

12. ek1psu

ek1psu Forum Resident

Obviously not an every day listen, but here is one real obscure artist that I listen to once a year...

Every Christmas eve since the mid 50's Marlin Ryan or his son Don have played Christmas carols on a factory steam whistle just after midnight in York, PA. The music can be heard miles away from the plant. It is a spooky but strangely calming sound when heard from a distance on a cold December night. Hearing them as we walked out of church was part of my childhood Christmas experience. I no longer live in York but I have the CD version of this LP and I give it a spin every year on Christmas eve right before I go to bed.

LP info and a bit of history:
    http://christmasyuleblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/marlin-l-ryan-york-pa-traditional.html

13. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Probably Ric Ocasek solo

14. StephenDedalus

StephenDedalus Forum Resident

Probably someone like Caoimhin O Raghallaigh, or other local musicians...not that obscure, but if you don't like Irish folk music then I guess it is.

15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'm not sure why Clive Carroll isn't a world famous guitarist right now. Maybe he is... but its in pretty small circles.

IMHO, the best acoustic guitarist to emerge in the past 20 years. Not the most obscure... but way more obscure than he should be.

16. StephenDedalus

well you've just found him a new fan at least :righton:

17. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I think you'll like him. He doesn't have a lot of albums... but they are all winners. Here's an old clip from a tune from his first album from a small pub. Tells you all you need to know, IMHO.

StephenDedalus likes this.
  18. StephenDedalus

well that is just brilliant mate, cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.