Who Knows Their Gumbys?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fletcher Munson, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Fletcher Munson

Fletcher Munson Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a Schiit Gungnir that is about two years old. I understand there are several iterations of the Gunny Multi-bit
    Here are my serial numbers.
    The Multi-bit sticker has the Sn of MB 02775
    The unit Sn is SCH-06 B6008187.
    Is this the latest version of the Muti bit Schiit Gungnir.
    Thanks in advance jp

2. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Has the Gungnir MB been discontinued? It no longer shows up on Schiit’s product line.

3. Fletcher Munson

Thats what I was told. I think the recent improvements in the BiFrost made it a competitor and considering the price, I think people probably stepped up to the Denafrips Pontus II. The competition might have killed it.

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Gungnir MB hasn't been discontinued, as far as I know. The problem is that Schiit can't get the particular Analog Devices DAC chips that the Gungnir uses. Analog Devices has been having supply or production problems for some of their DAC chips and DSP chips. This supply problem with Analog Devices chips is also a reason why Schiit designed a version of the Yggdrasil using Texas Instruments DAC chips instead of Analog Devices chips. Cause they can get TI chips. And also why the current Bifrost MB is using TI DAC chips now instead of Analog Devices chips since around the middle of 2022.

I have the original version of the Gungnir Multibit. What's known as the Analog 1 version of the output stage. It uses four Analog Devices AD5781BRUZ chips (2 per channel).

I also have the Bifrost 2 version that used four Analog Devices AD5547CRUZ chips (I don't recall how many it uses).

The Gungnir does sound better than the Bifrost 2. I consider it worth the cost premium over the Bifrost 2. The Gungnir has a place in the Schiit DAC lineup to fill the space between the Bifrost and the Yggdrasil, both in terms of cost and sound quality. I expect the Gungnir MB to be back once they can get the chips to make them.

rodentdog and Ivand like this.
  5. Ham Sandwich

The serial number starting with "B" indicates it is an A2 (aka Analog 2) version that is using their latest output stage design.

I'm not sure how to best identify whether your Gungnir is using the GEN 5 USB or the newer Unison USB.

6. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Forum Resident

It's not listed on the main page anymore and only available on the closeout page.

Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in Texas and California

7. Ham Sandwich

That doesn't mean the Gungnir won't be back once they can get the chips to build them again. I expect it will be back. Hopefully with the Analog Devices DAC chips instead of TI chips. And I hope that Analog Devices can get their supply issues sorted out and make enough chips again.

8. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Anyone can comment how’s the voicing of the Gungnir in terms of being laid back vs. lively?

Looks like the new Bifrost 2/64 is on the lively side from what I’ve heard.

Thanks

9. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Gumby: originator of 'tapping' and cordless playing.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    OldandBroken and bill44 like this.
  10. Fletcher Munson

If you are looking for marginally smoother, you might look to a Denafrips Ares. When I went to Gungnir to Pontus II, I noted a smoother easier to get along with sound. Not saying the Gungnir was bad or aggressive, just the Pontus was a little more relaxed.

Ivand likes this.
  11. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

OP has an Analog 2 board which was never officially acknowledged.

I have a Analog 1 which is definitely laid back in presentation. Others say the Analog 2 is more lively although I have never heard one.

For all intents and purposes the Gungnir MB is discontinued. They can not get adequate DSP chips so they removed from the product line. Jason said they may in the future being it back, but its not currently in development so at least 2-3 years away.

My personal opinion is that we may see the same form factor DAC with their new in house DAC technology they have been working on. This part is my opinion only. I know nothing. Also think they may do something crazy like including their Nexus XLR/RCA technology (not sure I have the right buzzword) in the next DAC.

12. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

"We hate...the architects!"