Who or what was the biggest musical influence?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by plastic penguin, Jul 13, 2019 at 10:17 PM.

1. plastic penguin

plastic penguin Active Member Thread Starter

For me I suppose was my two siblings. They are much older than me and were Mods in the 1960s. A lot of the music they played was Motown, Stax, Ska and Brit pop acts, such as The Small Faces, The Kinks, Spencer Davis Group and The Hollies.

In the late 1970s I became a part of the Mod revival scene in London, so my early experiences of listening to music on our Radiogram stayed with me. Even today my 'go to' genre is modern and classic Soul and Funk. That said, I will listen to most genres when the mood takes me....

Greg Gee, royzak2000 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Definitely The Who because I don't have any Albums by The What.

3. BRODNATION

BRODNATION Tomorrow Never Dies because Tomorrow Never Knows

What about the Kricks or the Tumbling Rocks?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I was born in the late '60s. So I began listening to radio on handheld transistor AM radios. So, the playlists were much free form and diverse than after FM radio took over. DJs picked the music. And if they thought a song was still worth listening to, it remained on the playlist along with the newest hits. They were also more than willing to play a requested song. FM radio stations were more oriented to a specific music genre. I'm not going to claim I continued to listen to AM radio. That would have been absurd. I did mostly listen to Rock stations with FM, but, I'm still inclined to not listen to any specific genre. I still love Motown even though my favorite band is probably Led Zeppelin. I attribute this to diversity of music those AM stations I grew up with. Genres don't really matter to me. If a song is good, it's worth playing. I don't care if it's Willie Nelson, Otis Redding, Iron Maiden, or the Smashing Pumpkins. I don't care if the song was recorded in the 1950s or last week. Song don't really drop off my play lists.

SG47 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Forum Dilettante

My Mom had an 8-track tape of Billy Joel the Stranger and a Lena Horne vinyl album I remember listening to at an early age
    My step-brother had a collection of ELO and AC/DC vinyl that I enjoyed
    From the radio I picked up an interest in Pink Floyd, Stones, and Beatles, some other bands

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  6. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

My Dad had a nice stereo and music was playing in our family room as much or more than TV watching.
    A cool Uncle visiting when I was 14-15 left me a Downbeat magazine, and mailed me a Jamey Abersold play-along record to encourage me in my guitar lessons. Never got good at guitar, but the study and attempts at jazz improvisation gave me insight and a life-long appreciation and love of jazz.

royzak2000 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

tough one...THE BEATLES!

BRODNATION and Zoot Marimba like this.
  8. Rick Robson

Rick Robson What comes next?

What? Well that's easy - Blues in America

9. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Robert Johnson

10. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Forum Resident

My grandfather. He was a jukebox repairman and always gave me old 45s for Christmas and my birthday, starting when I was 3. Growing up in the musical wasteland of the '80s, I got to know and love dozens of classics from long before I was born.

royzak2000 likes this.
  11. detroit muscle

detroit muscle Forum Resident

Before Elvis there was nothing..

PepiJean likes this.
  12. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

If we discuss about the 60s, then..

The Beatles
    The Who
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    The Beach Boys
    Family
    1-2-3 ("Clouds")

13. Rick Robson

Rick Robson What comes next?

Looks like Blues was everywhere, before and after Elvis ... hell even our planet shows varied "blues tones" when given a whole look from outside hahah...

However ... as usual no one ever dared to foresee the time when another "colour turbulence" was about to take place at some spot of our planet surface, this time generated by a bunch of intrepid British men - as well as other Europeans here and there. Pretentious? Maybe ...

"At that time, nearly all the British bands were using the blues or soul music — American music — as their influence. Since that well had been visited so many times, we decided we would try to use European music as our base influence, in order to be different. Robert [Fripp] and I [Greg Lake] — and Ian McDonald, for that matter — had all been schooled in European music. We understood it. We played Django Reinhardt, and we did Paganini violin exercises and so forth. Even though I loved American music, and had played it throughout my youth, it was very easy for me to adapt to using European music as the basis for new creations. I had studied that form of music."

R.I.P. Greg Lake!

14. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

It remains these guys...

Their musical influence on me was so far-reaching that it continues today. They are the reason I went back and explored the Glam scene before them, everyone from Alice Cooper to the New York Dolls. And their own infatuation with power pop and the Beatles led me not only to the latter, but to the likes of Badfinger and the Raspberries. Heck, Kiss is even an influence on my love for easy listening and Motown!

In short, everything positive about rock and roll for me, and for music at large, began here...and still continues...

[​IMG]

15. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Forum Resident

The Who and The Pretty Things

16. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

17. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

First there was Elvis and R&B music.

Then all the rest.

18. My mother - a musician and music teacher - for passing on a love of music in general through her genes and through living and breathing music as I grew up. Not so much my mother in terms of what she liked when I was growing up. She didn’t admit to liking pop music when I was a boy. The truth came out much later. Similarly, I was too young for much of what she would admit to liking.

A slightly older boy called Derek Austin who lived up the road from me in 1966, who turned me onto pirate radio in a big way.

Radio Caroline and Radio London in 1966 and 1967 for all of the wonderful stuff that they played.

My older sister in terms of the albums that she bought or borrowed in the late 60s and early 70s, including Hendrix, Zep, Sabbath, Curved Air, The Stones etc.

Tony Blackburn for what he played on the BBC Radio One breakfast show in the late 60s and early 70s, including “Save The Children” by Marvin Gaye, which started me on a whole new musical journey.

‘Nuff said for now.

19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

My local record library.

20. royzak2000

royzak2000 Forum Resident

I'm old there was fun and great stuff then there was Elvis, then there was fun and great stuff then The Velvet Underground.

PepiJean likes this.
  21. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

M T V and other music TV, by far.

I doubt that a person has ever influenced me to like a song.