Who originated this style of singing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

No, that's just annoying in it's own special way

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

That singing style does work in the right context:

Or worse, Buffy Sainte-Marie.

Or Janis Joplin for that matter.

At least the song in the first post is listenable, what you have there is top level hipster horsesh!t.

Nailed it.

Fruff76 and uzn007 like this.
  3. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Glad you’re amused.
    Initially he had the Byrds thing going but he developed his own style much like Mark Knopfler

4. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

It's the sound of those who "want to" sound eccentric, but those who are already have no need of a gimmick like that. It's a kind of received, second hand artistry that is the calling card of this style. Cat Power is an original eccentric artist. She is more indie sounding than affected to me. I don't hear her connection to this unless she is the one they are all trying to imitate, and failing?

5. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

An entire album of Buffy is tough to listen to but there is literally no voice is guaranteed to make me wince quicker than Joanie - it's almost an involuntary reaction.

Man at C&A and ashiya like this.
  6. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Cocorosie are deservedly forgotten. They were putrid crap and stinky garbage

geo50000 likes this.
  7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

She's a YouTube celebrity because her songwriting and guitar chops, no doubt :whistle::rolleyes:

altaeria and speedracer like this.
  8. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

C'mon .
    If she wasn't beautiful and didn't wear that push up nobody would take notice of her.

Who wants to hear another acoustic version of such obscure tunes like Born to be wild and Highway to hell?

Sex is what is in demand and she knows it.

altaeria likes this.
  9. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Doesn't need a lifejacket, that's for sure. She does all cover tunes. Her "Johnny B. Goode" is mesmerizing.

10. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Yes.
    But not for the music

speedracer likes this.
  11. speedracer

You are actually taking Jess Greenberg seriously enough to criticize it? Good god, the deadpan literalism on this board is exasperating! Lighten up!

Sear likes this.
  12. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

In the sixties male singers broke free of the stereotypes and many men were able to be successful singing in their individual idiosyncratic voices. Even through the seventies female singers were not afforded that luxury. If they didn't have a prototypical female singing voice then they were left off the bus.
    I think Mo Tucker of The Velvet Underground (and maybe Nico too) stands alone as an idiosyncratic female singer in the sixtes.
    In the post-2ooo's I started seeing a lot of female singers with Mo Tucker like voices, childlike singing (a bit different than what's been posted her, but a pre-cursor I think). In the post-200o's this singing style was all over the TV, as I called it back than "commercial music".
    Those are my observations anyway.

speedracer and Sear like this.
  13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Hey if I was her maybe I would do the same.
    Show my cleavage and make a lot of money

speedracer likes this.
  14. speedracer

Good angles, for sure on the males getting to be idiosyncratic while females were locked into standard.

Syscrusher likes this.
  15. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

I agree by and large with your point, but I think there were some more exceptions. For example Janis Joplin didn't have a prototypical female singing voice at all.

Syscrusher, unclefred and speedracer like this.
  16. speedracer

She certainly broke the mold.

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  17. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

It's bad but the absolute WORST singing style ever is whoever whines that "more than a bird" Superman crap from a number of years ago. There were dozens of groups who did that same indistinct whine.

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Singing with Manchester twang. Moz’s Dulset tones are original.

19. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

I love it.

20. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

I go straight to Melanie as the originator of the style that influenced the current indie folk singing style. She was folk, but with some R&B and gospel influences, and a richer tone and way more talent than the current crop, but her style might be a solid starting point to look at.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  21. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

Melanie is certainly one of the earliest examples of the current vocal sound but whether she's an influence is another matter. It seemed to become more widespread in the late 80s/early 90s and I don't think Melanie was seen as hip around then.

22. ladad

ladad New Member

this is the best video ive found to explain how the voice started... melanie is included!

souldeep69, Jonny W and ashiya like this.
  23. CousinCheebo

CousinCheebo Forum Resident

Agreed. Absolute cringe

Crimson Witch and RickH like this.
  24. Pangolino

Pangolino Forum Resident

I got about 1.5 seconds into somewhere in the middle of the OP song, and had to turn it off, my brain pounding on the inside of my skull, screaming

A GLASS OF WATER
    YOU ****ERS EVER HEARD OF ONE

It's as annoying a copy/paste voice as those yarling bros were in the 90's.

altaeria and RickH like this.
  25. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Hahaha, before I even opened the thread and played it, that style was the first thing that came to mind. It’s so obnoxious and played out.

RickH likes this.