Who pays the most money for used stuff: Rockaway or Amoeba?*

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Backsasser, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backsasser

Backsasser Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which place pays you the most out of these 2 on used CDs and DVDs
    This question would be for southern californians

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Who Pays the most Rockaway or Ameoba?

Are Rockaway and Ameoba forms of money?

The thread title makes no sense.

Who pays the most Moola?

That I can understand.

Just one little comma and a few extra words could have made such a difference in understanding what the heck you are asking..

3. My experience has been that Amoeba pays more than Rockaway for used CDs and DVDs.

4. Backsasser

I was just asking a simple question I have lots of DVDs and CDs I want to unload and I just wanted to get an opinion on which place pays the most for used stuff.It's really a no brainer jeez!!!

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Add a comma after the word MOST in your thread title so the people around the world can understand what you are trying to say! Even I couldn't figure it out and I speak the language!

Now that I'm on a big screen I can figure it out but on my tiny Boysenberry it was making me scratch my head. :)Thanks.

6. Backsasser

Sorry Steve

7. Backsasser

Thanks Shawn much appreciated I have so many DVDs and CDs trading them in for store credit I'm beefing up my vinyl collection

8. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Thread title adjusted. :)

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Now that the grammar lessons have concluded, here's my suggestion: don't go to either. If you have "basic repertoire" type stuff, you'll get pennies at Amoeba and Rockaway might not even take it at all. If you have collectible items I'd suggest strongly that you consider eBay or the classifieds here (especially if you are in it for the money). If you want the best trade-in value for purchases, I'd go with Soundsations in Westchester or FreakBeat. Record Surplus is pretty stingy with the cash but OK when it's for trade.

10. Backsasser

Trade for sure is Ameoba stingy with trades?

11. pdenny

For usual suspect CD's, expect $2-3 credit tops. They do better with hard to find vinyl but that's not what you're bringing. Cash out somewhere else and then go to Amoeba?

12. Backsasser

Thanks for the advice

13. Backsasser

It's funny on the Rockaway website they claim they pay the most

14. pdenny

It's called marketing :D If it's a long drive, you should try calling them and describe some of your items; see what they say.

Back in the 80's and 90's when Rockaway (Rainbow Records originally) was a lot larger I practically lived there. Still go a couple of times a year but it's more of a boutique at this point.

15. Rockaway is better when dealing in high-end collectibles ($100+ items). At Amoeba, it's hit or miss on these depending on which buyer you get. If I bring in comething collectible to Amoeba, more often than not I need to point it out to the buyer... they in turn go and get a price guide to verify.

With run-of-the-mill LPs, CDs and DVDs, in my experience Amoeba tends to make you an offer on everything you bring in (unless something is just trashed) whereas Rockaway cherry-picks to some degree.

16. pdenny

Shawn is right on. It helps to develop relationships with buyers if you can. And for heaven's sake wherever you go, don't be shy to point out your collectible items. Sometimes those guys (especially at the Amoeba assembly line) are in robot mode and they'll just throw everything in the same bag value-wise. Good luck and tell us how it goes!

PS If you do go to Amoeba, have the Islander Curry with Scallops at Chan Dara across the street. You'll thank me later! :righton:

17. Backsasser

I would probably be better off taking my collectible stuff to Rockaway seems they are more educated on it

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yup.

19. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Post your good/rare stuff here in the classifieds first - it'll be better for you financially, and you might make some forum members happy in the process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.