Who plays on the demo version of David Crosby's "Cowboy Movie"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FrasierNervosa, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrasierNervosa

FrasierNervosa Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is the album version of "Cowboy Movie" that appeared on his 1971 LP If Only I Could Remember My Name, which features the backing of Jerry Garcia on guitar, Phil Lesh on bass, and Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann on percussion. This of course, is from the P.E.R.R.O. (Planet Earth Rock and Roll) days, where members of CSNY, Jefferson Airplane + Jefferson Starship, the Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service were all heavily involved and jamming together, much of which ended up on studio releases.

2. FrasierNervosa

FrasierNervosa Forum Resident Thread Starter

There was an alternate demo version from those same sessions which floated around as a bootleg before being officially released on a Crosby boxset in 2006. However, there doesn't appear to be much concrete information about who played on this version attached. Am I right in thinking this is Neil Young guesting on the guitar? And presumably, the rest of the Dead is still backing them up?

3. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

It appears that for the release on Voyage, the vocals from the released version were flown in on top of the outtake with Neil Young playing along Garcia.

I never heard a demo of the song, although there are a couple live rehearsal takes from the Matrix.

The MEZ likes this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yep, neil young definitely plays on the 'voyage' version.

The MEZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.