Who was the best one and done band of the 2000s?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Houseplants, Jan 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident Thread Starter

My vote is:

The group formed late 2011 after Daniel and Boeckner discussed forming a band together.[3][4] Their first public performances were in Austin, Texas, where they had a surprise showing before having their official debut.[5]

Their first album, A Thing Called Divine Fits, received positive receptions from critics,[6][7] with the Austinist and The Austin Chronicle praising the band.[8][9] AllMusic scored it 4 out of 5 stars.[10]

On November 16, 2012, the band made their television debut on Late Show with David Letterman.

On June 5, 2013, Divine Fits premiered two new singles, "Ain't That The Way" and "Chained to Love". on Conan. Jessica Dobson made an appearance with the band, playing guitar. The band's final show took place at The Parish in Austin, Texas on October 13, 2013.[11] Following the end of the tour, Daniel returned to performing with Spoon. Fischel was subsequently added as an official member. Boeckner returned to Wolf Parade in 2016, while Brown formed the band Operators alongside Boeckner and Macedonian-American musician Devojka.

Jimmy Jam and rpirl like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Fatal-Periodic Breathing (Jan Burton/Andy Gray), 2005

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    Jimmy Jam, Neonbeam and Houseplants like this.
  3. RageRomano

RageRomano Idiot

The Unicorns

They did release a pretty underwhelming EP the following year before breaking up, but this was their only studio album, and as far as I’m concerned it’s a classic!

c-eling likes this.
  4. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

The Postal Service - Give Up was their only studio album, released in 2003

5. Houseplants

johnthan
    Thats a really good one.

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  6. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

By far, Life Without Buildings, just the great Any Other City in 2001, then some touring, and then disbanded. Really good live album from the tour released long after. Has become a bit of a cult classic... Life Without Buildings\' \'Any Other City\' Came Out 20 Years Ago Today

Some great live footage finally showed up on youtube last year, very cool stuff ...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    ralphb and Jimmy Jam like this.
  7. rpirl

rpirl Forum Resident

Nominees / Shortlist :
    The Chalets - 'Check In' (2005)
    The Departure - 'Dirty Words' (2005)
    The Immediate - 'In Towers and Clouds' (2006)
    The River Phoenix - 'Ritual' (2008)
    Red Eskimo - 'The Grey Death Billow' (2009)
    Miracle Bell - 'Light Shape Sound' (2010)
    The North Sea - 'Anniversary' (2015)

I'll try to choose one but it could take a day or two haha

8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The Dissociatives

9. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Wives. They put out one album (and a few singles) in the mid 2000s before splitting up and forming No Age. The album is 27 min of raw, energetic noise punk. I love it.

RageRomano and Jimmy Jam like this.
  10. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

Boomgates

Jimmy Jam likes this.
  11. Jimmy Jam

Jimmy Jam Forum Resident

Can't think of any "1 and done" albums but love most of these tracks, hadn't heard of any of these bands before tbh....some great stuff here!

Edit: I tell a lie....I've already liked 2 songs by Wives on Spotify it seems

12. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

Also really like the Ugly Casanova Sharpen Your Teeth one-off side project/collaboration with Isaac Brock (Modest Mouse) and Pall Jenkins (Black Heart Procession, Three Mile Pilot) and Tim Rutili (Califone, Red Red Meat) and Brian Deck (same as Rutili) and John Orth (Holopaw) from 2002. Would've loved to hear another session with these guys back in the day, maybe not so much anymore, bit of a time capsule, but those were some of my favorite bands at the time.

The Ugly Casanova name did resurface on the 180° South: Conquerors of the Useless soundtrack, but I think it was really just Brock's current Modest Mouse lineup doing a side project full of b-sides, and wasn't nearly as unique or interesting...

Houseplants likes this.
  13. Houseplants

I liked them.

14. Houseplants

15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

That is indeed a fantastic album, not a duff cut to be found, and the live album is also excellent.

16. rpirl

rpirl Forum Resident

I just realised it was just the 2000s decade, the recent "Favourite bands of the 21st century" thread must still be on the brain...

Anyhow, I'll go for 'Ritual' by The River Phoenix. It's my favourite album outta Denmark.

17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Essexx-Bridges, 2007

18. BPrice

BPrice Senior Member

Them Crooked Vultures

19. 2014 Meg Baird, Ethan Miller, and company formed band

H
    eron Oblivion debut released 2016

20. ReggieNJ

ReggieNJ Forum Resident

Chester French

21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Goodnight Lenin have only released one long player, I believe - In The Fullness Of Time - but it's a real corker. They released another single last year so I live in hope of a new album!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.