Who were the drunkest performers you saw on stage?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spencer1, Sep 26, 2019.

1. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Bob Stinson
    the rest of the Replacements
    Mark E Smith
    Shane McGowan

FuturisticWorkshop likes this.
  2. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

According to Benji LeFevre, Page didn't quit heroin permanently until mid-way through The Firm's second U.S. tour in spring 1986... he had tried repeatedly to do so prior but always fell back into bad habits.

Glad he made it out and is still with us today... now how about that new Zeppelin live album you mentioned back in 2017, Jimmy? Still waiting on it...

That was the now-infamous Belgrade gig... the Hindenburg of live shows :shake:...

Apparently, she was supposed to sing the planned theme tune to the Bond film Quantum of Solace - and if anyone was born to sing for a 007 movie, it was her! - but they couldn't get her to stand up straight in the studio for long enough to even get pieces of takes to stitch together... sad...

In the UK, the press dubbed her Amy Crackhouse, for obvious and lamentable reasons...

unclefred likes this.
  3. JoeOnWheels

JoeOnWheels Forum Resident

Ray Davies and John Bonham
    Ray remained charming and entertaining. Bonham, not at all.

Fullbug and sharedon like this.
  4. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I didn’t see it but I have a recording of Townes Van Zandt falling off his stool during a gig at a coffeehouse in Texas.

5. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Leo Kottke. I wouldnt' say he was sloshed, but a friend of mine went to another one of his concerts and said at the one he attended, ol' Leo was, indeed, sloshed. Still a great show.

6. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Brian Connelly (Sweet). Shortly before he died. He was a mess... (R.I.P. Brian)

B E E F and Frans T like this.
  7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I saw GbV open for Cheap Trick once, and if there was any chance of me getting into that band, it went out the window that night. Lordy it was bad.

8. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

The Kinks in the 70s. Most disappointing concert I've attended.

9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Obviously drunk and angry yelling at people from stage...Page Hamilton.

This is just a clip of 'Meantime,' and I think I was actually watching from outside the venue like these guys.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  10. drift

drift Forum Resident

Does it circulate? I'd love to hear any Townes I haven't listened to, even falling off his stool drunk.

11. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

If in fact Townes took a spill; it wasn't necessarily due to alcohol... there were any number of other possible reasons for the tumble; god rest his soul. He certainly didn't have much rest as the traveling troubadour of our times while transversing our highways and byways; bars and 2 bit dimly lit stages.

DTK and drift like this.
  12. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

That wasn't when Ray was starting to get ill was it? his illness may have made things worse.

13. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

One of my favourite musicians ever. I never saw him live as I didn't want to be disappointed (I had a girlfriend who saw him on his last tour and apparently he was quite straight - so maybe I should have gone). Bless him.

14. I have no idea. It was probably between 1986-1989. The rest of the band had "stay away from me, you idiot" looks on their faces whenever he came close, that I remember.

15. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

Jaco Pastorius with Mike Stern back in the early 80s. I think it was a combo of smack and booze. Being the amazing musician he was, he still pulled off the gig.

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, I've actually BEEN to that club (Boardwalk)!!!

Andy Smith likes this.
  17. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Famous for being the first place The Clash ever played.
    Saw some greats there; Steve Harley, SAHB, Ian Hunter, Fish...
    I’m told it’s going to be turned into city-centre accommodation. Gutted...

18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Mike was also having big issues with junk and alcohol at that time. He cleaned up later.

slapbass likes this.
  19. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

iirc it was Phil Carlo, who was his right hand man in the Firm days, who said that. We're lucky he's still with us as he flew very close to the sun by all accounts. One of the funniest YouTube comments I ever saw was on the Live Aid vid where (between WLL & Stairway) Page nearly overbalances while trying to flick ash off his cigarette "Jimmy trying to bat away the mischievous fairies he's convinced are detuning his guitar"

I suspect the live album got held up by the zombie-like Stairway legal case. Which might prove it's a post 1971 show i.e. suggesting that Stairway would certainly be in the setlist.... Maybe it was the Far East shows, which got leaked but I always thought his "a completely different view of the band compared to previous live records" meant a continental European show, possibly Montreux.

Hopefully we'll find out soon. A bit of positive Zep news wouldn't half lighten the load of coronalockdown!

20. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I guess I consider myself lucky, but I can't remember anyone being obviously plastered. I did see Hootie and the Blowfish several years ago at one of those many artists street festivals in Charlotte.
    Darius seemed to have had a few and made some rather suggestive gestures when they covered Kool and the Gang's "Get Down On It". It was a little surprising (I has seen them previously), but harmless.

21. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I thought this might be a funny thread to peruse but found it rather sad really.
    I mean, not a comment on the OP or on the excellent posters throughout the thread, but Jeebus, there are some sadly messed up people in the world. Shame, really. I felt worse by the end of each page!

ARK, Ginger Ale and ohnothimagen like this.
  22. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Unfortunately, it was Randy Brecker, in a small jazz club in France in the 90s, or in the early 2000s (not sure).
    The music was fantastic, but he was so drunk...
    At the end of the performance I approached him with my "Zappa in NY" Lp in hand and a pen. He said "What's that ? I can't see a thing I'm too drunk.... Oh ! It's Zappa ! A very famous record, that one."

When I left the venue, walking down a corridor to the exit I saw him again, he was alone, three meters in front of me, trying pathetically to reach the loo, bumping on the walls left and right.
    A very sad seeing. He's an immense world-class musician. A giant. He shouldn't be abandoned alone, walking erratically in a remote lost club in France, right ?

Frans T likes this.
  23. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

Jerry Jeff Walker. He was supposed to open for Willie Nelson. He showed up late, staggered onto the stage, and Willie had his crew take Jerry Jeff off of the stage.

24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Jason and the Scorchers, opening for REM at the Fox Theater in Atlanta, 1986 I believe. Jason Ringenberg was drunk as a skunk and could not move from where he was planted on the stage. Couldn't hear a word come out of his mouth. It didn't help that the band sounded nothing like the splendid roots-rock of their records, they sounded like a heavy metal garage band.

25. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Ray Davies, Kinks in NYC, ca. 1973. Quite something. I have to say, it added to the performance, though I think Dave looked a bit disgusted.