Who were the drunkest performers you saw on stage?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spencer1, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Love Sun 60. Great live

2. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

Lindsey Buckingham solo in a small theater in 2006. He started out pretty smashed (sweaty and trailing off in his banter) but sobered up about halfway through and began engaging with the audience. Though visibly intoxicated, he barely flubbed anything and played his best. Wished he would have played more of his solo classics though, he stuck to the whispery new-at-the-time Under The Skin stuff.

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

They were, the times we saw them after that.

But boy…first impressions.

After a particularly disastrous trumpet solo by Joan, the bass player sarcastically said, “Joan is God.” Or perhaps the devil, if we go by Tom Waits’ dictionary.

Greenalishi likes this.
  4. mknopfler

mknopfler Well-Known Member

Joe Walsh 1980's in Tampa, he was still fun to watch though.

5. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Josh Homme seemed drunk af when I saw Queens of the Stone Age in 2018. I actually wondered if he was OK.

DTK likes this.
  6. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

New Order (or at least Bernard Sumner) at Henry J Kaiser auditorium in Oakland - I believe it was around the Brotherhood album. Awful show, they sounded crap and Sumner was clearly intoxicated
    - and it ended mercifully early, after about 30 minutes.

But hey I still love ‘em

7. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

That sounds like the usual for the ‘Mats!

8. SPF2001

SPF2001 a must to avoid

Sadly,it had to be Townes.

Anthrax likes this.
  9. Geez, I saw somebody from The Replacements (playing solo, just with a guitar iirc), open for god only knows who, in a large club in Kansas City, MO — maybe around 2000-2003 (just a wild guess, but the early 2000’s)…

…and he was half totally wasted. Maybe not quite that bad, but another two shots and he sure would have been.

FuturisticWorkshop likes this.
  10. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

No contest, The Black Crowes opening for ZZ TOP.

FuturisticWorkshop likes this.
  11. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

I saw video of that one… man was that bad! Also her last show before she past away… very sad:(

squittolo and Svetonio like this.
  12. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 I'm a very magic tripper

I'm sure they have been mentioned in this thread, but The Pogues. I saw them play The Fillmore in SF around 2004 or 2005ish.
    Shane was so wasted he could barely stand up, let alone remember the words to songs. He kept wandering off stage and some handler guy had to keep bringing him back out to the mic. I swear the audience was cheering for the fact that he was so drunk. Made me sad.

Another time I saw the Pogues in the 90's and Shane had to quit the tour. We found out the night of the show :(
    BUUUUUT.... They had a replacement singer: JOE STRUMMER!
    That was killer.

13. MoroccanMelody

MoroccanMelody Well-Known Member

I think I was at that Faces concert in Vancouver. I had seen Rod Stewart once before and I think it was his first tour. He kept marching around the stage going behind the drums and coming back out while he was singing. It was obvious he was frightened.

Then when they came back again this time he was much less ill at ease but they were all falling over drunk. It was so sloppy, there were having a great time up there pissed as can be while the audience who had paid their hard earned money for this show were watching a bunch of drunks have a party between themselves on stage. Not impressed!

Uuan likes this.
  14. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Dan Hicks. Every show.

Greenalishi likes this.
  15. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

16. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

My friends saw Stevie Ray Vaughan at Vanderbilt in the early '80's. He was so drunk he fell off the stage, and when he climbed back up he had vomit all over the front of his shirt. At another point, there had been several bursts of feedback. Stevie warned the sound man that the next time it happened, he was fired. It happened again, and he was.

They also said he played like a demon that night.

squittolo, MoroccanMelody and hiterss like this.
  17. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

Either Shane McGowan or John Martyn.

squittolo, ARK, Jonny W and 1 other person like this.
  18. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Mark E. Smith. Just saying that by default as no-one else I've seen live seemed pissed, but Smith would have been on his way, but not blotto. That was at the Leeds Festival in 1991. Really enjoyed it. 'Big New Prinz' (or was it 'Hip Priest'?) stood out for me, but I Am Kurious Oranj is my favourite album by The Fall.

Anyway, shouldn't you ask a Gort to change this thread title to the simple 'Has anyone here seen The Fall live?'

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  19. Saganomics

Saganomics Billions (and billions)

Saw The Strokes between Is This It? and Room on Fire, in Las Vegas at the joint. 2002 maybe? Julian, the singer, was utterly wasted. He was getting picky about beverage temperature it seems, as he would take 3 or 4 sips of whatever he was drinking and then launch it backward over his head while the drink was still mostly full, maybe 15-20 feet up, with the bottles/cans then landing in various places behind him. One landed pretty near the drummer iirc. The band just went on like nothing could possibly come down and bust them in the noggin at any moment. They played really well in fact. Did one or two songs from Room on Fire that night months before it was released.

hiterss likes this.
  20. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

David Yow is definitely the drunkest I have seen as well. He drank somewhere in the ballpark of 30 beers at the Scratch Acid reunion show I saw.

Candlegoat, DTK and Rollie like this.
  21. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Clapton, London, April 1977. Went off stage for an hour to get sober and was dragged back on by Townshend for 2 songs. Hopeless.

22. Ragged Glory

Ragged Glory Forum Resident

Mine is Zakk Wylde at the Hard Rock Hell festival in 2008, during a Thin Lizzy show. Lizzy were headlining the first night, with Black Label Society leading the second. Halfway through Lizzy's set, an obviously smashed Zakk stumbled on stage and tried to pour beer into the mouth of a visibly pissed off John Sykes. Out of nowhere, a roadie/stagehand appeared and ushered Zakk off stage. One of those moments where everyone looked at each other and tried to figure out if what they had just seen had actually happened. BLS played the next night as planned, and were brilliant.

ODShowtime likes this.
  23. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

Andy McCoy - saw him a couple of times, once with Hanoi Rocks at the Hacienda in Manchester, UK in 1984 and the second time with The Cherry Bombz a year or 2 later at Liverpool Uni, UK..He had definitely had a few but it never got to the point that he couldnt perform.

24. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

you can't figure how popular robert smith is in france. In the eighties it was the most popular, here non contest!! wave above the rest even depeche mode or U2

Uuan likes this.
  25. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

At least he actually showed up that time. I once attended one of his No Show Jones concerts.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    ILovethebassclarinet likes this.