Who wrote "Black Sabbath"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paulette, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

It would be interesting to know the context. In the throes of the reunion - c.f., anything said in the last twenty years - Geezer would probably agree with whatever Ozzy has claimed. The lyrics don't sound like anything Ozzy would write (and that's not much), and everything Geezer would write. But it sounds like we'll have to agree to disagree.

2. sad124

sad124 Forum Resident

Sorry I don't remember when he lit the ciggy. It's been years since I've seen that interview.
    I have heard the show Tim posted and it is magnificent. What a band!

I don't know why you insinuate Geezer is walking on eggshells around Ozzy.
    Anyway, Geezer mentioned this many years ago before the reunion was even a thought. I think Geezer mentions it in the Black Sabbath Story video.
    Actually, it's only recently the lyrics to Black Sabbath have been attributed to Geezer.
    I wouldn't be surprised he had a hand in them, but I think Ozzy wrote the crust of the lyrics.

Paulette likes this.
  3. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Interesting thread, just skimmed all nine pages. Regarding Sabbath's drug use, anyone read the new Van Halen bio by their former manager? Great stuff on Sabbath when they toured with VH in the late '70s. The two bands got on well and apparently Sabbath's drug use was way beyond what Van Halen were used to at the time.

Paulette likes this.
  4. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm glad you think my thread is interesting :righton:
    I will read that book.
    Thanks
    Oh, "Trainspotting" is one of my favorite movies. My favorite part is when Sickboy tells Tommy they understand that he's upset his girlfriend broke up with him but "Don't take it out on us" by making them experience nature. I laughed so hard.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  5. Paulette

So, you're saying what lyrics Oz writes aren't much?

6. Paulette

I need to amend part of this post.
    As far as I can see now, "Symptom of the Universe has no bridge. It is 3 verses and a coda? Correct me if I am wrong. I am thinking of starting a thread about song structure. Maybe like, describe the structure of your favourite song or something. Gonna need a little time and therapy beforehand to ready me for the onslaught of mean comments.

ParloFax and GodShifter like this.
  7. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Trying to understand Sabbath song structure is a major pain no matter how much musical education you possess.

These guys wrote in a way that was often completely innovative and sometimes just downright unique. It's one of the reasons their music has never become "boring" for me no matter the repeated plays.

Thinking about "Symptom" I think you have something like this but I'm sure someone will correct me...

Intro
    Bridge
    Verse
    Bridge
    Verse
    Bridge
    Alternate Bridge
    Bridge
    Verse
    Bridge
    Alternate Bridge
    Alternate Bridge Var. # 2 (w/ elec. gtr solo)
    Coda (w/ vocal then ac. gtr solo)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Paulette likes this.
  8. Paulette

Oh my gosh. I was looking at lyrics and they were written out as four different paragraphs. Oh! I got the coda part right!

What about "The Writ"?

See, would this be a cool thread?

Thanks Tim.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  9. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

0:00-0:21 Intro using verse material
    :21-:31 Turnaround
    :32-1:13 Verse with turnaround
    1:13-1:54 Verse with turnaround
    1:55-2:25 Static Interlude with turnaround
    2:26-3:06 Verse with turnaround
    3:07-3:28 Static Interlude
    3:29-4:14 Bridge with guitar solo
    4:15-6:10 Coda with outro guitar solo

Tim1954 and Paulette like this.
  10. Paulette

Thanks
    OK, 4:15 is the part that I thought was a bridge. I just dig this so much. Whenever I hear the things that I think are far out like this I just imagine myself swimming in Ozzy's voice.
    I read something today when I was doing my bit of research about song structure. None of it means much without a melody.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  11. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

I had never listened to original version of Junior's Eyes with Dave Walker on vocals before.
    Ozzy's melody is so much better than this, in my opinion...

Paulette likes this.
  12. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Brad Gillis when learning the songs for Speak of the Devil said, essentially, the same thing that I bolded from your comment. He found a lot of Black Sabbath's music structure to be very unorthodox and difficult to learn because it didn't follow standard songwriting structures; weird places for bridges, etc.

14. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I don't believe that story about the book but it's a good story.

15. Evil Strawberry

Evil Strawberry Forum Resident

i heard Geezer said that Ozzy Wrote the lyrics to the Black Sabbath Song

16. Rosetta Tharpe is truly amazing, thanks for bringing her up. And isn't it pretty likely that she influenced some of the artists who influenced Sabbath?

Paulette likes this.
  17. Paulette

Just rereading this thread and I have a new appreciation for this :)

18. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

I know we've talked about this before, but I do honestly wonder how the part at 4:47-5:11 isn't heavy enough. What is it about Iommi's playing that makes it heavier than that segment?

Paulette likes this.
  19. Sure it is heavy and energetic etc. To me, however, many riffs and moments in Black Sabbath's work still sound heavier, mostly because the sound and tone is fuller and darker. (Anyway, of course, "sounding heavy" is not a very straightforward notion - I can totally imagine that it means something slightly (or very) different for different people.)

Paulette likes this.
  20. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

Still not heavy enough? 0:00-0:14

21. I am familiar with Zeppelin. And this is heavy, but it is also much closer to Rock'n'Roll than the song Black Sabbath or War Pigs.

Paulette likes this.
  22. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Who wrote Black Sabbath?

Thee Great LES BAXTER!!!

23. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

Okay, maybe this one will finally do the trick :) I think you'll like the guitar sound. 0:00-0:53.

24. It is all good and heavy (and familiar) stuff. Has anyone claimed that Led Zeppelin wasn't heavy? I am not sure which point you're trying to make.

25. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

It was claimed that the guitar wasn't heavy enough (as compared to Sabbath, I take it). That Dazed and Confused segment (which predates the Sabbath debut by over a year) suggests otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.