Whoo-hoo! indy mike's ONE tune per hour thread: Best Bass Blasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Apr 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Another Pleasant Valley Sunday - beautiful sunny day in the midwest! New week, new topic: "Gimme some bass with those 88's" commanded the singer on Cool Jerk, and brother, was he ever soooooo right! The Monkees thread axing about who wielded the bass on Pleasant Valley Sunday inspired this installment - simple rules for us music lovin' fools: think up a tune where the bass is oh-so cool, write it up and tell us why it rules, maybe tell us a great sounding source, and then hit enter... Only caveat: ONE post per hour - don't list 58 of Your All Time Favorites at once; say it's 3:33 - post ONE tune, then wait until 4:00 shows up - yay, post another one, then wait til 5:00 and do it again...

After all this blabbin', let's get blastin"!!!! I went to pick up a pizza yesterday and punched in the oldies station - Midnight Confessions started up and hubba-hubba, do those bass notes grab yer attention or what??? Izzat Carol Kaye slingin' the strings? I like Vintage Oldies 9 & 10 on MCA to listen to that one - "bum-baba-bum-bum-babababababahhhhh" - you know in an instant what's on the speakers when you hear those notes...
    :)

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Paul McCartney's bass track on "Letting Go" from Venus and Mars.

One of my fav. songs, this song (actually, the whole album) has actually evolved for me! From muddy sounding LP (my old '70's era system's fault, I'm sure) to indistinct "boom" sounds on stock CD to amazing clarity where one can easily distinguish each note on the DCC version! Turns out it's a more complicated bass track than I ever imagined.

To this day, it's one of my "test tracks" for auditioning interconnects, speakers, etc. :cool:

Hey! I'm the first responder to the thread! :cool: :nauga: :cool:

3. indy mike

4. indy mike

Hey, what's with the bold faced type up there - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Nauga's are attacking - run for your lives!!!!!!

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:hurlleft: Rice-a-Nauga :hurl:

6. indy mike

Put alotta ketchup onnit - Larry'll eat it...

7. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

the savage bass riff on "Back in the saddle again" by Aerosmith, played on the 8 string bass by Joe Perry. Most excellent.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Not Fragile--BTO. One time, back in the ol' college dorm in the late 70s, we had this turned up so loud, the bassline literally knocked the cover off one of the speakers!! :righton:

9. indy mike

Over Under Sideways Down - The Yardbirds; sheesh, that's a crazy zooming bass that stutters, wanders, and just always puts a smile on my yap. I think Jeff Beck mighta been handling the bass on this tune - Y-Birds fiends, correct me iffen I'm mistook here. Sonic best? Probably the mono press on Columbia/EMI vinyl, although the Demon/Edsel reissue of the 80's is a Porky Prime cut which sounds pretty swell (only problem here is OUSD is rechanneled - grrrrrrrrrr - where's the mono master for this)????

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Best Bass Blasters?

JUNIOR'S FARM/Paul McCartney & WIngs

Even I can play along on bass, it's like just one note. But WHAT a note! :)

11. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Mike, Steve & Friends,

Pony Time - Chubby Checker

A vintage big bass track!

Bob:)

12. indy mike

Helpful host SH sez Joe Osborne gets credit for Midnight Confessions - guess I'd better think of a Carol Kaye backed tune for the next round...

13. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

Larry Graham on bass for Sly & the Family Stone's "Dance To the Music".
    Fuzz Bass!

14. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Well Jimbo has beaten me to my BTO bass fave so I will have to revert to my tried and trusted standby Dazed and Confused by Led Zeppelin - make sure your fillings aren't loose :D

All the best - Andrew

15. indy mike

"I'm gonna add some bot-tom, so that the dancers just can't (or is that won't) hide..." :D

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Oh, you're talking about mucically! I thought you were looking for recording/mixing/mastering.

OK, how about "Dance Dance Dance (Yowsah, Yowsah, Yowsah)" by Chic? The thumpin' galloping bass is couteesy of the late, great Dr. Bernard Edwards.

Disco and R&B records are a natural for this type of discussion!

17. indy mike

I wouldn't disqualify well recorded stuff, nosiree! :)

Hmmmmm, Large Time - Atlanta Rhythm Section, Champagne Jam on MoFi vinyl kills them all - when that good ol' boy kicks in the bass, HE KICKS IN THE BASS!!!!! Monster truck, big, badazz thumpin' here, yesindeed (and nicely recorded, too)... :D Hey Grant, how'd yer transfer of that Champagne Jam LP turn out???

18. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Low Notes

I don't know about bass lines, but what about the CLASSIC bass solo in "My Generation"?

R.I.P. John Entwistle

19. Grant

Well, my first attempt was with a somewhat crackly Polydor LP from CRC. It sounded OK, but then I found a better company pressing that sounded mellower with slightly deeper bass. That is the one I used. The bass isn't super deep, but it's all there. I'm a bit disappointed with my favorite track, "Imaginary Lover" in that on the LP it sounds a bit lighter than the rest of the album.

My transfer came out quite good! I cleaned up all the clicks, and was
    very gentle with the NR! I left in some surface noise, and there are NO artifacts.

20. billh

billh Senior Member

Crossroads--Cream

21. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

John Entwistle, "Won't Get Fooled Again", live version, on The Kids Are Alright soundtrack. Probably about five thousand notes. Love it, especially the end, where all that racket is Thunderfingers, and no one else!

22. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I've always admired Chris Hillman's playing on the Byrds' Younger Than Yesterday and Notorious Byrd Bros. albums. Very melodic bass, almost McCartneyesque. Okay, if I had to choose one tune where he shines, it would be "Renaissance Fair".

Jim W.

23. Grant

For the noon hour, coming up, I want to add "Saturday In The Park" by Chicago. Deeeep bass, there! You can feel that bass pedal on the kick drum pound your chest!

24. indy mike

B-B-B-B-Black Slacks - The Sparkletones - upright bass gettin' slapped hard and fast! Those boys (all teenagers) could flat out play!!!

25. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

For something a little different with a great bass line I like Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus it drives the song along really well :)

All the very best - Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.