"Who's Next" Deluxe Edition cancelled?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reechie, Dec 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Well, we can only hope it's a global phenomenon:rolleyes: Sorry; I'll take SH's old MCA and be happy with it. Once bitten, a hundred times shy...:sigh:

ED:cool:

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I would not have bought it anyway. After the SH mastered disc, there can be no other!

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Obviously there's little chance in the album itself sounding better than Steve's version, but the big draw for most fans is any unreleased material. For example, while I don't really care for the sound on the 1995 CD, it does have a number of tracks not found anywhere else.

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

True Dat, Mr. Pac, but these bonus cuts do nothing for me(in this particular case). I mean, the live material sounds out of place, and I don't need the repeated tracks in different forms. Steve's disc sounds the best, and I just want the original album.

6. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

Some of bonus material that was discussed sounded enticing.

A full-page ad on the back cover of this month's ICE still lists it as forthcoming, for whatever that's worth.

Ryan

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Eh, I wouldn't take it as canceled. It could be off the line with a rescedule date pending.

Don't give up hope yet.

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

You mean, hoping it'll never see light of day? That's a hope, alright.

ED:cool:

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

What do you guys think about the MO-FI Who's Next compared to the standard 1995 re-issue.

10. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

Hi reb, I think the Mofi definetly sounds better. Although the mofi is taken from the same masters as the 95' remastered release, Mofi's conversion is significantly more spacious and more analogue sounding.

I luv ya Steve, but I do like the mofi version the best. Please don't crucify me, this is just my HO.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You're safe. :)

12. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I'm searching for Steve's "Who's Next." How would I identify it on Ebay? Or would there be a better method of obtaining it? The 1995 CD I have gives me a headache, though the packaging is nice.

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

You can get it pretty cheap from A&B Sound (Canada). I don't have the MCA numbers handy.... 37??? or something. Should cost under $10.00 US including shipping (it's actually available up here for $9.99 Canadian).

14. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

The usual answer, from old posts by Luke and Steve:

"Steve mastered a version of Who's Next for MCA in the mid-'80s. The catalog number was MCAD-37217. Chances are if you have a "Manufactured In Japan" pressing it is Steve's. However, MCA switched masters along the way, and at least some, if not all (it is unclear) "Manufactured In The USA" issues are NOT mastered by Steve. Luckily, MCA in Canada has started using Steve's master for their CD. The catalog number is MCABD-37217 and it can be found at www.hmv.com.

At least some BMG music club copies also use Steve's master.

If you are unsure what version you have, look at the total time. If it is around 43:25 (plus or minus a second or two) you should have Steve's version. If it is around 43:13, it is NOT Steve's.

Also, keep in mind Steve's master is NOT used on any of the following versions: Germany Polydor, MCA gold, MCA/Polydor remix/remaster with bonus tracks, MFSL gold with bonus tracks."

They're still out there, I found one about two weeks ago in a local used CD bin.

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The easiest way is to get the Canadian version from hmv.com. Catalog number MCABD37217. If you look up "Who's Next" on their site, it will be the cheapest version available (going for $6.57 US$ last time I looked).

16. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

That's it!

Be careful, though - the remaster is also available up here. But it costs twice as much as Steve's version and has a different catalogue number. Go figure! :rolleyes:

17. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Thanks to all three of you. I checked HMV, and I found three matches. Is Steve's the one that's $6.57 U.S.? I'd link you to it, but it's a "javascript" URL and wouldn't work.

Addendum: my question was answered before I posted the question. Thanks! Pulls out debit card.

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

We can only hope someone took notice od Steve's work and halted what probably was a no-noised catastrophe!

I can dream, can't I?

19. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

The "Who's Next" deluxe edition is mentioned on the back page of the January '03 issue of ICE as "Coming Soon". The ad features the covers of 16 currently available deluxe editions with a bottom strip that reads....

"Coming soon: Sonic Youth-Dirty/The Who-Who's Next/Moody Blues-A Night At Red Rocks/Howlin' Wolf-London Sessions"

More than likely, the new edition has just been delayed. I first saw this listed in a MOJO ad from Badlands in September.

20. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Are the Bob Maley DELUXE EDITIONS any good, or are they maxed-out crap like the Gin Blossoms issue?

Incidentally, I think we should coin a phrase for maxed-out remasterings: "Blue Screen," in honor of the graphs frequently posted on the forum. As in, "That Deluxe Edition of NEW MISERABLE EXPERIENCE gives me headache. Gotta be a blue screen job."

21. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

London Howling Wolf Sessions is now listed for March 2003.
    Anyone heard any more about Disraeli Gears or Layla?

22. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

One can't be too disappointed in the cancelation of "Who's Next Deluxe".

Steve did a great job on the MCA 1980's version.

23. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

You know I hate to say it because Steve's Who's Next is probably closer to the master tapes, but I also prefer listening to the MoFi. Anyway, back to the original thread - even if it wasn't the best version, wouldn't you guys want to hear a deluxe version of Who's Next that was as Pete intended it - ala "Lifehouse"?

24. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Well, according to MOJO (Jan. 2003 issue): "DISRAELI GEARS, the classic Cream album from 1967, is set to receive the 'deluxe' treatment from Universal next spring. According to label spokesman Joe Black...The original tapes will be remastered, and housed in a fold-out package with detailed notes and a second disc that includes nine recordings from BBC sessions taped between May 1967 and January 1968...Bonus tracks confirmed: Tales of Brave Ulysses, We're Going Wrong, Born Under a Bad Sign, Outside Woman Blues, Take It Back, Politician, SWLABR and Steppin' Out."

Jim W.

25. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yes! A great piece of history!

No! It'll probably be a Blue Screen Special with the Breath of Death!

You can't win, can ya? :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.