Who's Next Deluxe Edition details

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rspaight, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member Thread Starter

The new ICE includes details on the Who's Next Deluxe Edition, scheduled for March 25. Included on Disc One are the six Record Plant tracks, which Astley claims are unedited this time. Disc Two contains fourteen tracks from the 4/26/71 show at the Young Vic.

I don't really want to list the tracks here because that seems unfair to ICE. I will say that the Young Vic show has been edited down a bit from the original 95 minutes (the canned tracks were mostly Tommy material), and includes primarily Lifehouse stuff, including "Time Is Passing" and "Pure And Easy."

The album itself will apparently appear in its original mix. Astley claims that he used the real master tape for the first time ever -- that MCA had misfiled it as a safety copy. Any comment on that, Steve? :)

I doubt my Canadian copy is in any danger quality-wise, but the bonus tracks sound tasty enough to justify the purchase.

Ryan

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Thanks for the info Ryan. Besides the Record Plant tracks on disc one, have they added the rest of the tracks recorded during these sessions that did not make the original line up (Pure & Easy, Relay, Join Together, Let's See Action, etc)? Call me impatient, but I can't wait for my copy of ICE to arrive :) .

3. Rspaight

Nope. You get the original album, the Record Plant tracks, and the Young Vic live stuff. That's it.

Which means they blew yet another chance to put a non-crossfaded "Relay" into print. :mad:

Other than that track, though, the other singles are pretty widely available. I don't mind so much that they're focusing on officially unreleased stuff. According to ICE, the Record Plant and Young Vic tracks that previously appeared on the 1995 Who's Next remaster are presented here unedited, so technically everything on this set will be new to an official album.

Ryan

4. The Relay is such a great song, and they keep ignoring it, when it comes to repackaging material such as this expanded Who's Next. :confused:

Attached Files:

5. Rspaight

I hear you, Mike. It's marred by crossfading on the 30 Years box, not on the original Who's Next remaster, not on the My Generation comp, not on the expanded Odds & Sods, not on the Ultimate Collection comp, and not on this Who's Next DE.

You get the idea Jon Astley doesn't like this song?

Ryan

6. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I realize this isn't strictly a Who's Next subject, but when are they going to get around to newly compiling the non-album b-sides like Waspman amongst others? I have the German Rarities collection from years ago, but they need to do something to bring these in line with the rest of the catalog. Maybe someday we'll get the complete singles collection with all the U.S. & U.K. a and b-sides (wishful thinking).

7. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I'll pick this up for the Young Vic stuff but I'm a little dissapointed. I was hoping to get some alternate mixes of the Olympic and Stargroves stuff. There are some 'full' mixes of some of the LP tracks that have more guitar and fiddle if memory serves.

FWIW there are *more* than 6 Record Plant tracks. AFAIK the below tracks were done at the Record Plant. I wonder which one they will leave off?

Getting in Tune
    WGFA
    Time is Passing
    Behind Blue Eyes
    Baby, Don't You Do It
    Pure and Easy
    Love Ain't For Keeping

Outside of Bony Moronie, Water and Naked Eye I've never heard the Young Vic show(s). Musically, how are they?

Chris

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Re: Re: Who's Next Deluxe Edition details

I don't think "Time is Passing" is a Record Plant track, is it? It definitely wasn't on the original "Lifehouse to Leeds" boot where the Record Plant stuff first appeared, after the tapes were fished out of the garbage. It would have been nice to see the complete (ie, stereo) Time is Passing on there.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, Time Is Passing wasn't from the Record Plant, despite what the O&S liner notes might say. It's got that classic Glyn Johns drum sound, more easily heard in stereo (Glyn's drums were in stereo, while the drums from the Record Plant were more or less mono).

10. Chris M

OK. That makes sense. Anyone know more about the mixes of Goin Mobile w/ more guitar?

Chris

11. Rspaight

Yes, on the "Who's Next -- Classic Albums" DVD they talk about this and even tease a few things. There's a guitar overdub for "Goin' Mobile" in particular that I'd like to hear all of.

As Luke and czeskleba noted, TIP isn't there -- the other six are.

Actually, Bony Moronie isn't... ah, the hell with it, this is silly. Here's the track list for the Young Vic disc:

Love Ain't For Keeping
    Pure And Easy
    Young Man Blues
    Time Is Passing
    Behind Blue Eyes
    I Don't Even Know Myself
    Too Much Of Anything
    Getting In Tune
    Bargain
    Water
    My Generation
    Road Runner
    Naked Eye
    Won't Get Fooled Again

The article mentions that some of the Lifehouse tracks (Getting In Tune and Bargain specifically) are pretty rough, and Pete insisted on leaving all the bum notes and glitches in when JA wanted to fix them in the mix. Which is a good sign, perhaps.

They also mention that though most of it is 16-track, there's a minute or so in WGFA that's 8-track, since they only had one 16-track recorder and had to change tapes. JA sez we won't be able to tell. :)

Ryan

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Who's Next Deluxe Edition details

That's interesting - what changed since Live At Leeds: Deluxe Edition?

I can't imagine the "extra" tracks on the 16-track being anything more than the ambient mics anyway. 8 tracks is enough to have 3 tracks for the drums if there are no ambient tracks. That is, unless any tapes were involved. Were they using backing tapes at those shows?

13. Rspaight

Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's Next Deluxe Edition details

Good question. The article points out (correctly) that they were using different synth tracks for WGFA at the Record Plant (which was after the Young Vic shows), so it's hard to say what they were using at the Vic. I haven't heard any boots of those shows.

As far as not fixing the mistakes, maybe Pete took some of the criticism of LALDE to heart?

Ryan

14. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Are the studio versions of Too Much Of Anything & I Don't Know Myself going to be on there too?

15. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I read the ICE article too. Exciting news.
    $***...This means I will have 8 copies of the Who's Next CD.

Again...
    The real interesting question is Astley's claim that the master tape HAS NEVER BEEN used. Steve? or Kevin?

I hope and pray that this master is sent to Germany for the LP and that whoever is doing the Universal LP does a good job.

BC

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I wouldn't think too much of it. Astley makes a lot of "claims". Remember when he said the AQO multitracks went down in a flood at Kit Lambert's castle? Or how Magic Bus would be remixed for the 1996 best-of? Or how noise reduction doesn't hurt the music?

No doubt if such a thing happens they'll be sent a noise-reduced mess...

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I'll take Jon Astley's words with a grain of salt

18. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: Who's Next Deluxe Edition details

Absolutely. In fact, if such master does really exists, it will never leave England again.

It doesn't hurt to hope and pray against all odds.

BC

19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

BTW, The Relay does appear uncrossfaded on the English Polydor Rarities Volume I & II. Original mix(un-Astleyed)as well.

It is possible that Jon did use the original master. Hope he referenced Steve's disc to make sure it sounds like the original mix(but I doubt it).

20. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

If it's really the original master, as in the original two-track mixdown tape, then it can't help but sound like the original mix, because it *is* the original mix! ;)

21. Chris M

While I expect the remastering to be crap I am very much looking forward to hearing more live Who at their peak. Naked Eye from the Young Vic is pretty rockin' on the '95 demaster.

Chris

22. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Hang on to your Hoffman's, folks! ;)

23. Larry

Larry Member

Relay is also on The Who Collection Volume 1 from Polydor in all of its uncrossfaded glory!

24. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

On Hooligans too. MCA 2CD set. OOP unfortunately, but mainly a flat xfer.

If someone mentioned this, my apologies. Glad I got it, because it was only available for a very short time in the US.

Disc has Relay, Let's See Action (Nothing Is Everything) and Join Together without the piccalo in the end (as the 30y box has)... No xfades.

Half.com has a few copies.

25. Rspaight

Is that still in print? I've got a copy, but it's the first version (with the edited Baby Don't You Do It) and also from the infamous PDO plant, so it's turning a fascinating shade of brown. Still plays, but...

I'd be interested in getting a second edition copy if it's still around.

Ryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.