Who's the best saxophonist you've ever heard play live?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Sport

Old Sport Forum Resident

Michael Brecker was amazing when I heard him play his jazz set with Paul Simon tour in Cape Town, 1994. But you expected him to be outstanding and it was better than I had hoped for. My biggest surprise was hearing Eric Marienthal playing Big Phat Band compositions with the Roger Fox Big Band in Auckland in September 2009. I was expecting to hear a professional, experienced saxophonist - what I heard was so much more. His playing was both articulate, passionate and almost raw with a range that I couldn't quite believe for an alto sax...and moreover what a humble, personable musician. I heard him again in LA in 2020 for the album launch of Gordon Goodwin’s Big Phat Band The Gordian Knot, and again Marienthal was a show stopper particularly on their Tower of Power tribute track. Clearly if you want to hear how a saxophonist really plays, you’ve got to hear them live.

99khan likes this.
  2. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

I thought Chris Potter was pretty spectacular.

99khan likes this.
  3. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

I have seen Eric play live in numerous settings: his own Quartet; with Chick Corea's Elektric Band (many times over!); and with Jeff Lorber's band. He is an amazing player. But of course, "purists" dismiss him because he is associated with the contemporary smooth jazz scene (David Sanborn, David Koz school). But a helluva saxophonist!

Old Sport likes this.
  4. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Raphael Ravenscroft

5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Whoever the sax player was on Steely Dan's Two Against Nature tour.

.. I could look it up , I suppose

Edit :

Pfft ! .. figures - they had four different ones, so I will never know for sure who did the one amazing solo that was the best sax solo I have ever heard.

It was either Ari Ambrose, Bob Sheppard,
    Chris Potter, or Cornelius Bumpus.

Edit #2 :

A bit more research and it was without question the late Cornelius Bumpus, whom I didn't even know had passed away, only months after I got to see him perform. Rest In Peace to a guy who played saxophone better than I've ever heard anyone play.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    uzn007 likes this.
  6. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

I heard Joe Henderson play bossa nova one year at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.

7. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Great question... I'll have to do some research and get back to you.

8. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

Ian Underwood

9. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

In the mood to mention the greatest I’ve ever seen live as I’m in a bit of mourning in not being able to see any of them live for the foreseeable future

top 10 in the order I view them

Evan Parker
    Joe Maneri
    Peter Brotzmann
    Mats Gustafsson
    Tony Malaby
    Joe McPhee
    Dave Rempis
    Fred Anderson
    Marty Ehrlich
    Paul Dunmall

Many others great players including David S Ware, Tim Berne, Chris Potter, Rob Brown, Oliver Lake, Ingrid Laubrock, John Tchicai, Paul Flaherty, Charles Gayle, Louie Belegonis, Ivo Perelman, Archie Shepp, Ellery Eskelin, Tobias Delius, Ab Baars, Edward “Kidd” Jordan and others but the above group are on the highest level and to my ears among the greatest who ever lived.

All except the great David S Ware, Fred Anderson & Joe Maneri are still with us

Jon-A likes this.
  10. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

Branford Marsalis
    Wayne Shorter
    Michael Brecker
    Pharoah Sanders
    Anthony Braxton
    Fredrick Hemke - classical sax player. Playing Agusta Read Thomas' "Prisms of Light"
    Roscoe Mitchell and Joseph Jarman - with the Art Ensemble of Chicago
    Alexander von Hagke - young, but supremely gifted player with fusion band, Panzerballett
    Jan Garbarek
    Ornette Coleman
    Steve Coleman - without question, one of the best current players, and he can compose!
    Rudresh Mahanthappa - not saying he's among the best, but he sure is good.

11. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Thinking back, I guess I haven't seen a lot of them. Paul McCandless, Andy Mackay, Napoleon Murphy Brock, Mel Collins, Jorja Chalmers, Kurt McGettrick, Albert Wing, Bobby Martin, Paul Carman.

I'd probably go with McCandless. Both he and Mackay's primary instrument over the years has been the oboe.

12. Theacademyinperil

Theacademyinperil Forum Resident

Sonny Rollins at Tanglewood!

uzn007 likes this.
  13. Marius Neset. He was spectacular.

14. lordfalconer

lordfalconer Forum Resident

Maceo Parker in 2007 with Prince was pretty damn good :love:

I'd say Mel Collins was a close second best in both 2018 & 2019 with King Crimson

uzn007 likes this.
  15. rogermcnally

rogermcnally Forum Resident

Pharaoh Sanders in The Tripod, Dublin in 2008.

I came in slightly late and he was playing 'My Favourite Things' as I made my way to our table. Magical is an understatement :)

16. Swingburn

Swingburn Forum Resident

Steve Coleman at a tiny bar on Broadway in Sacramento, CA. Some time in the 90's. I remember at one point Jimmy Smith walked in and played a tune on the piano and then left. That was pretty cool!

uzn007 and StarThrower62 like this.
  17. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Sonny Rollins
    Joe Lovano
    Michael Brecker
    Bill Evans
    Nappy Brock w/ Ed Palermo Big Band plays Zappa
    John Gilmore w/ Sun Ra
    Lou Donaldson

uzn007 likes this.
Thread Status: