Who’s using the Rogue Stereo 100? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaleClark, Aug 25, 2019.

1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Since PS Audio is going direct, the BHK 250 will be out of my price range when I make an amp purchase at year’s end. I am really enjoying my BHK pre amp that I recently purchased ( I sold my Rogue RP-5).

The Stereo 100 is now back on my radar. Just curious who owns one or had owned one and what are your thoughts, likes, and dislikes.

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I have heard one many times at a local Rogue dealer. I could not ask for better sound in every possible way. I am on the fence about this one for my final amp purchase- it will be the 100 if I decide to go tube power amp.

3. Helom

Helom Forum member

It sounded nothing like a tube amp in my system, except for its soundstage expanse, however, I was running it with a solid-state preamp. The bass was excellent but I missed the lush midrange of the CMII.
    Both amps have transformer hum in my system, even with a DC blocker upstream, so something to consider if you've had any past problems with dirty power.

If I were to try the ST-100 again, I
    would run it with a full tube preamp.

tIANcI likes this.
  4. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I had one and it's a very good amp. Very heavy. Noisy sometimes depending on tubes.

I'm using a Benchmark AHB2 now with my PS BHK preamp and couldn't be happier. It's my last power amp.

tIANcI likes this.
  5. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I have one and love it. Paired with a McIntosh C2500. Both are my only tube amp/preamp experiences. So take that with a grain of salt. I went from a Bryston 4b and the difference was huge. ( Audiophile's definition of huge) I'm now running vintage Amperex tubes and the stock KT120 power tubes. Mine is not noisy at all and none of the vintage tubes I ever tested made it sound noisy. In fact I can't even hear tweeter noise /hiss when I put my ear directly on the speaker. I have heard about the tube swish sound some tube amps have when dead silent. Mine does not have that at all. Just saying.

TheeGory likes this.
  6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Sometimes when I've had a little of this I've been able to tighten down the transformers and improve the situation.

7. Rcadog

Rcadog Member

I had one before. Run with a vtl 6.5 pre. It was stunning. I rolled the tubes to JJ kt88 (n the pres too) from the original electro-harmonics. Had no hum probs.

8. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the BHK pre myself. and on the fence about the AHb2 myself. One thing that has made me shy a bit with the Rogue is that I've heard about noise issues from others as well. AI'm also thinking of the new Primaluna EVO amps. The top tier models even has balanced inputs. Plus, they are mono capable (like the Benchmark).I'm afraid if I go with the Benchmark, I would still be wondering what all the fuss is about with tubes.

9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Definitely wasn't the problem unfortunately. I went through quite a lot of troubleshooting over the phone with Mark O. with no solution. It could be my incoming power as about half the amps I've owned behaved similarly.

10. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Take it home and demo it and see if it has noise. Now that I think of it the demo unit did have some noise but mine has been dead silent, so maybe I got a good one.

11. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Does anyone know if this would be a solid match with a Croft Preamp? Using Totem Hawk speakers.

I know it’s a broad and subjective question but if anyone has insight, it would be ver appreciated!

Callahan likes this.
  12. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Rogue and Totem are a good match. I have listened to the Stereo 100 with RP-1 and Totem Hawk. It was a great combo.

Rick58 and TheeGory like this.
  13. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Excellent! Thank you.
    Hoping this will handle rock as deftly as I’ve seen it handle classical on some YouTube videos.
    As for the Croft preamp, it’s performed wonders with my Quad solid state. Hoping the Rogue will be a nice match as well.

timind likes this.
  14. Callahan

Callahan Forum Resident

I know I'm a little late to the party, here, but I used the Stereo 100 with Totem Hawks for a about two years and it was a great combination that I would ave been happy with for many years. I heard the Totem Tribe Towers and decided I liked them a bit more and now use them with my Stereo 100. But your Hawks should sing magnificently with the ST-100.

On another note, has anybody upgraded their Stereo 100 to Dark? I'm wondering what the Dark upgrade sounds like.

TheeGory and Rick58 like this.
  15. Callahan

Callahan Forum Resident

In the process of doing it now. I’ll keep you posted.

TheeGory, ghost rider and billnunan like this.
  16. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I have purchased one recently. Took the time to go listen to it before I bought it.

Couldn't be happier: very powerful amp, yet with finesse, not just dumb muscle. Drives my PSB X2T's with gusto: speakers go down to 30 Hz, and there is definitely no need for a sub. In fact, I even traded the sub in for a new NOS DAC.

No hum at all - zilch, paired with a Brown Audio tube preamp - a pair of 6SN7 and one 6L6GC. Used in ultralinear mode only: cannot hear any benefit when switched to triode.

For me - quite likely the endgame amp. Not saying I won't get another, but I won't trade this one in to do it. I traded in a Parasound 2250 and Cambridge Azur 851A to get my ST-100, and do not regret it for a second.

17. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

Mine is dead quiet. With original tubes it is not "tubey." But it has the three dimensionality and smoothness of tubes. Sound can be modified with tube rolling, both the power tubes and the small tubes.

18. mark62

mark62 Member

Has anyone got the Dark yet?

19. guyfromscene24

guyfromscene24 Forum Resident

I have had a ST100 in my system for about a year and love it. No hum - dead quiet. I'm driving PSB Synchrony ones and am relieved they can handle the difficult impedance load (down to 3 Ohms). I used to have an Atlas and the upgrade was significant (the Atlas did have a transformer hum).

20. mark62

mark62 Member

No hum here either.

21. Callahan

Callahan Forum Resident

Waiting for my upgrade. It talked about six weeks. I’ll report back.

TheeGory, billnunan and mreeter like this.
  22. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

A huge thanks for this! Sorry for super late reply but I just picked up the dark version, today.

Currently rearranging the listening space and if you or anyone has any platform or stand recommendations that are affordable, would love to hear it.

60 lbs is No joke!

23. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Hey Callahan : have you been happy with the upgrade? Will post impressions from my end but I’m starting with the dark version so can only post from there.

Callahan likes this.
  24. Callahan

Callahan Forum Resident

For the most part, yes. But to be fair, I bought new speakers around the same time I bought my Stereo 100 Dark. So, I wasn’t sure how much of a difference the Dark upgrade made and how much the speakers contributed to the better sound. It’s a great amp! I have zero complaints with how it sounds in my system. That said, I did just order a Leben CS 600X and plan on selling my Stereo 100 and RP-7 preamp. I’m trying to downsize a bit and the integrated amp is calling to me. I also like that tube rolling will a breeze. But yes, the Stereo-100 Dark is one hell of an amp! It can drive pretty much any speaker and sound great

jonwoody, Oliver Meyer and TheeGory like this.
  25. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

hahaha amazing! That’s kinda what I thought may have happened. Congratulations on the new new upgrade!

Callahan likes this.