Why all the recent Beatles 2014 mono vinyl LPs for sale?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Veech, Oct 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

I can tell you it's easily the worst sounding one of the 2014 box. Revolver is horrible too. But the rest are simply fantastic.

Dave likes this.
  2. slashdot87

slashdot87 Forum Resident

Didn't Mono vinyl sets get released in 2009 when the Beatles re-released everything on 09/09/09?

These 2014 Mono sets are different?

Sorry if this is a foolish question...

3. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

I think Revolver sounds fine----I sold my Sgt. Pepper.

4. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

No, only stereo was released at that time on vinyl. There was a mono CD box at that time.

5. slashdot87

slashdot87 Forum Resident

Thanks. I wasn't sure about that...

6. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Last year there were (false) rumours (and a thread here on the Forum) that there were new found old stock for sale in significant quantities and a new pressing of the mono set would be forthcoming. My guess is that some people wanted to sell their mono copies before the rumoured new copies happened upon the marketplace and reduced the sale values.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Veech likes this.
  7. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The CD mono set was issued in 2009; the mono vinyl set in 2014. The mono vinyl set is all analogue (obviously, the CDs are digital). Both sound very good and the mono vinyl in particular was highly praised. Some consider it to be better regarding SQ than the original UK mono pressings.

The stereo vinyl set was also issued in 2009. These LPs are digitally sourced. The 2009 US pressed stereo LPs were manufactured at the Rainbo plant and have been heavily criticized for their poor quality. There was also a German pressing (at Optimal?) which is considered the better of the two pressings.

(And IIRC, the Japanese issue consisted of Japanese packaging, but German pressed vinyl. Someone please correct me on that point if I have got it wrong.)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Veech likes this.
  8. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

P.S. The mono LP set is OOP, but you may find some copies still available from retailers (probably at inflated prices).

Veech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.