Why are people COMPLAINING about the new U2 album!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Besides, it's not like every other album they've released this millennium was stripped-down and live sounding. They've been dealing in overproduction for a while.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  2. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Hey xtraplaylists you are gonna love this: importance defines biggest. :D

big comparative bigger, superlative biggest:
    2 important important and serious

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/big_1

When you are saying: It's though being the biggest band in the world you are also saying: It's though being the most important band in the world...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  3. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

U2 is still a great band in my opinion. The problem for them is the fact that they had their feet so definitely entrenched in socio-economic and humanitarian issues, that once you begin to appear corporate it comes off as a bit hypocritical.

Too some, they now appear to be UN-cool. Unfortunately, once you lose your mojo or relevance, its the kiss of death for some bands career. I suspect that may be happening now to them.

Stuart S likes this.
  4. Interesting that Springsteen is now considered a"corporate" rocker. Is that true of anyone who sells millions of albums, has devoted fans but does t allow is music to be used In commercials? I'm to a fan of all his music but I would hardly call him a"corporate" rocker.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  5. On I don't know. They need to sell albums like everyone else to fund all of that socio-economic humanitarian stuff they do. ;)

6. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

Nobody sells units relevant or not, empty or full mojo. but U2 can outgross everybody on the road.
    how many units do those relevant pitchfork groups sell? none.

7. Ffosse

Ffosse Well-Known Member

You couldn't pay me to listen to U2.

8. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

That's true, but once you begin to lose your supportive audience, the money stops also.

9. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

AFAIK, the songs didn't load in my iphone without my permission.

You'll have to type the Apple password and then press "purchase".

So, nothing was imposed.

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I really can't tell if this is a joke or not. I have quit using several Internet services such as Facebook because I came to feel like the benefit of them wasn't worth the trade-off in my privacy being invaded or my data being mined, but I don't really understand the horror of the privacy invasion here. The U2 album didn't magically appear on my phone, horribly violating my privacy, because I understand how to use my phone, and I have turned off the "automatically show/download music from the cloud" feature, because I prefer to manage my iTunes library on my laptop, and manually sync to my phone only the music I want on my phone. I had to go to my iTunes account on my laptop and go get the album and choose to download it. Again, I understand how to use computers, so this wasn't a problem. If the album had shown up unbidden on my phone or computer, I understand how to delete it and tick "hide this album in the cloud?" box when it asks me if I want to do that. As Oatsdad noted, Apple already preloads all kinds of stuff on my phone that I don't need or want, from the stock app to GameCenter. I just don't use that stuff, or delete it, or hide it in a folder and forget about it. I guess if Apple ever did start pushing undeletable One Direction and Pearl Jam albums onto my phone, and didn't give me a way to prevent that, I'd look for another phone provider, although I highly doubt any other corporation is any different. When Google offered the Rolling Stones live albums for $5 a pop a few years ago, the catch was you had to install Google Music Manager on your computer to buy them, and that is a nearly undeletable piece of malware, in my opinion. But, lesson learned, I won't buy anything else from Google Play or ever install a Google music app on my computer again. If this is where you're at with Apple, more power to you. I'm typing this on my iPhone, to me, the benefit I get from my iPhone outweighs the privacy issues it poses, even though I'm aware of them and try to take common-sense measures to protect the privacy I care about.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

If it was "pushed" to your computer it would only be an installation file, the user still decides whether to install it or not. In other words, not comparable.

Grant likes this.
  12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

U2's last tour was the biggest, most successful tour in the history of rock music. If they're losing their supportive audience, I guess every other band in the world would love to lose their audience to the same degree.

13. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

5 million worldwide.

So, sticking it into the accounts of 495 million people who didn't care last time is a bit presumptuous.

Smiths22 likes this.
  14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Adobe Flash tries to push a new installation file to my computer every few weeks. Again, it's not as if this new U2 album is the only auto-update that anyone has ever tried to send to my computer.

15. Ffosse

Ffosse Well-Known Member

I've never used iTunes on my iPhone so haven't been faced with the problem.

Driver 8 likes this.
  16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Like I just said, their last tour was not just their most successful tour ever, but the most successful tour ever. Their previous "flop" album sold around the same number of copies worldwide as the last Taylor Swift album. U2 have sustained a 35-year career at the top, when the average big-time rock band gets five years at the top, if they're lucky. You can love them or hate them, I couldn't care less about that, but this whole "their career is dying" thing is laughable. The only other band in the history of rock and roll who has achieved remotely comparable success over a similarly long period of time is the Rolling Stones.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  17. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

To each his own. I find tracks like "Volcano," "Raised By Wolves," and "Cedarwood Road" to be the most stripped-down raw rock and roll they've recorded in some time. Outside of "Every Breaking Wave," the Edge doesn't really rely on his patented delay-pedal arpeggio sound here.

Claudio Dirani and HotelYorba101 like this.
  19. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

20. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

WTF is that? a new illuminati symbol? :wtf:

[​IMG]

Tengo miedo...

Peter Pyle, dino77 and footlooseman like this.
  21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Yes and u hate them just as I hate the idea of an album being pushed down. Even an install file being pushed is an annoyance. I would want a new Zappa album pushed down and that's an automatic buy for me, although not lossy if it's abailable any other way.

22. Eh, maybe it will grow on me but usually in the past I've really loved the album from first listen (Achtung) or hated it and continued to hate it (Pop springs to mind). I say this as a fan from the very first album without any radio play (picked it up n a whim after an in store play of me track)

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sorry, I still don't see a difference, and I continue to think the pre-loaded and unremovable software on my phone is MUCH more annoying than an album I can easily delete.

Just because "Stocks" came on my phone doesn't make it more acceptable than an album added after the fact. I can't get rid of "Stocks"!

JoeRockhead likes this.
  24. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

And "wave" is a song that was due to be on No Line and, later, on Songs Of Ascent. It's the only U2 signature song in the whole album.

25. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

This is exactly how I feel about all those Beatles threads I have to endure when logging onto the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.