Why Are Some Albums Discounted on Amazon?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by AcidPunk15, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sub Pops Records band Metz 3rd album is listed as $11. The Stooges Debut album is listed $10.50. Are these albums not selling, so in order to get rid of inventory Amazon will reduce prices? Or do these bands realize if they list their albums super “cheaply” they albums will sell like hot cakes! Or is it that Amazon’s algorithm knows I will purchase this album if listed at this price?

Thoughts?

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Normally it's the distributor or label doing Amazon and possibly other retailers a good deal, sometimes to promote an act/title, sometimes just to clear stock, there are also times when Amazon does good deals off it's own back and takes the hit on it's margin itself. The only time Amazon seem to cut prices to clear inventory is with expensive deluxe box sets, they keep on reducing the price until they sell a copy or two and then the price returns to normal, not seen that behaviour with ordinary LP titles.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It could be a number of things but I think that it all comes down to Amazon wanting to generate attention and buzz about their LP prices. They want you to keep coming back and checking prices, and buy a bunch of albums for $10-$13 that you once looked at or popped into your cart at $24 but didn't actually purchase. I've been watching these prices with interest but haven't yet seen anything that made me pull the trigger. They are getting so close though! :laugh:

AcidPunk15 and GroovyGuy like this.
  4. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Same here ... thanks for saving me the typing lol ;). Also, with Amazon's pricing "algorithms" coupled with their "Prime" pricing strategies who the h*ll knows where there pricing comes from or where it will go.

AcidPunk15 and dkmonroe like this.
  5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I suspect that this may be the "new normal" for Amazon, at least as long as they continue to sell a lot of LP's this way. The prices don't last very long - less than a week by my observance. They seem to sell out pretty quick, so they're obviously picking the right titles. This seems similar to importCD's LP blowout sales on eBay - perhaps Amazon has decided to horn in on their territory.

6. AcidPunk15

The Stooges Album just went up to $14, it ran out of stock. It makes sense when a product is running low, they lowered the price. I should have bought it when it was dirt cheap. Lesson learned.

7. AcidPunk15

I also noticed that as a prime member LPs seem cheaper. I have never really checked though so I could be wrong. Also I guess when stuff is sold out Amazon lowers the price so they can estimate how much they will buy based off "preorder"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.