Why are the Early 60's so Disliked?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosskeenneat, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Basie with Lester, now there's sometime timeless!

2. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Yes
    Different is good...
    It wasn't the 50s anymore.....
    Those were a great bunch of singles

3. danasgoodstuff

A friend of mine who should know better repeated this cliche recently. I wrote 10 - 20 pages of rebuttal before I thought better of it and let it go.

4. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Yes
    Session musicians in Wrecking Crew made go9d money.
    The documentary on them is a MUST

5. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I'm familiar with electric blues but I found that I prefer folk blues.

By music writers I am referring to the OP, and attitudes of "dislike" for the era, some expressions of which came from frenzied critics.

6. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Post it.
    :)

7. danasgoodstuff

H
    handwritten, if I start typing I'll start editing and then who knows how long I'll be at it...

8. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Beach boys are ...what? They were competitors with the fabs to say the very least. We don't have to unreel that saga.

Yes I have heard of the wrecking crew. But I don't think the book of session-man millionaires is going to be very long. (I don't recall rich guys in that movie for instance. ) If there were I don't think the trend was widespread. IOW besides the LA wrecking crew who else had a shot? There was another movie about musicians: Standing in the shadows of motown. No millionaires in sight in that one.

9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Up to a point ('66 '67 maybe,) music still was styled within a sort of status quo, and listening to it now, it seems constrained.

10. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

The revolutionary artists who came next were, to a degree, inspired by what had come just before. The Beatles, for instance, recorded songs by the Shirelles. I frankly don't get the condescension that often applies to early sixties music.

11. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'm going to blame Fabian and Frankie Avalon. Just put on some Fireballs and Dion's Runaround Sue and get hip!

drad dog likes this.
  12. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

55-59 and 64-69; there was a vibe in the air. But not during those years in between.

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You kiddin'?

14. ronm

ronm audiofreak

It's just the music avalanche that came after buried it into oblivion.

15. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

No.

16. Sure, the Beach Boys did compete for chart ranking with the likes of labelmates the Beatles and did very well holding their own.
    The Wrecking Crew documentary was about the musicians and not about how rich they got. What is apparent with the session musicians was that they were paid union scale, definitely not working for free and had very little down time. If that doesn't translate into riches, I don't know what would.
    Session drummer Hal Blaine states that he doesn't have the money like he used to, but the other day I read somewhere that he was worth 4 million. I'd love to have just one million.
    Talking about musicians under the Motown umbrella, sure many were taken advantage of, that's the way Gordy operated, but some like David T.(Terry) Walker did very well for themselves.

Tim 2 likes this.
  17. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Because they are largely right.

Plus any thread that claims the early 60s were great but doesn't mention Davy Graham or Sandy Bull has to be a bit suspect. No Davy Graham equals no Stairway to Heaven.

18. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Some people dislike 60's and even 70's music.

I can only guess that some find the OP's period to be bland or having no contemporary link the later music they like?

19. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Roy Orbison for sure.

20. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

There's something that's called Presentism. People afflicted by it don't have an historical sense.
    Can be good, or bad.

21. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Well the Beatles first album in 1963 is pretty good. Better than their second album. I think we also had The Shadows in the early 60s?

22. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

1960 - jazz
    1961 - jazz, Bobby Bland, The Shadows
    1962 - Ray Charles, jazz, Booker T & The MG's, Bob Dylan
    1963 - The Beatles, James Brown, Bob Dylan, Sam Cooke, Jorge Ben, jazz

DeRosa likes this.
  23. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

1964-1966 might be better than 1960-1963 for sheer volume of incredible music that made the charts but the early 60s have it all over the late 60s ('67-'69) in my opinion. "Bristol Stomp" (which might be my all time favorite song), all the Gary US Bonds hits, Beach Boys in their early prime, "Palisades Park" by Freddy Cannon. The Everly Brothers had tons of great songs then too as did Bo Diddley, and others have pointed out a bunch of great stuff from 1960-1963. Just because the charts had some teen idols with crappy songs on it doesn't mean there wasn't a lot of great music being made.

I rarely go through a day without listening to at least 10-15 songs that were released form 1960-1963 and it's usually way more than that.

Tord, frightwigwam and sixtiesstereo like this.
  24. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

To each his own, because I think drugs made a lot of musicians sound dull. Early 60s music had a fun and innocence to it that a lot of the more acclaimed music that came later was lacking because people were trying to be so important.

Tim 2 and Spaceboy like this.
  25. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

That’s good, it’s a great period of music.
    My favorite period of Everly Bros. AND Bo Diddley
    Add some Ray Charles, Sam Cooke and Solomon Burke to the playlist.

Spazaru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.