Why are the Early 60's so Disliked?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosskeenneat, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

The original artist sings it live. No kidding, not lip-synched, as many 60s performances were (including The Mamas & Papas on Ed Sullivan).

seed_drill, Jarleboy and Steve Litos like this.
  2. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

And this one really had animus towards 60s music. :)

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Ben E. King, immediately after The Drifters. 1961.
    One of the most-remembered and beloved songs of the entire decade, indeed, of the entire rock & roll Top 40 era.

Jarleboy, Timmy84 and John B Good like this.
  4. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

This has been a cool thread - I've been looking to learn a little more about this little window of music - post Buddy Holly, pre- Beatles.

I was recently watching the Netflix series "Ozark" and this song capped the finale of season 2 ad I was blown away by it:

5. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

That's a great song. A cover of a 1950s Drifters song.

I've always loved this song, when I first heard the Dion version on Dick Bartley's Solid Gold Saturday Night radio program, in the late 1980s.

This was Dion's "Bronx Blues" period.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    mlew, Timmy84 and Lynd8 like this.
  6. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Great performance!

Someone from the bandstand is clapping on the 1 and 3 while faintly through the crowd you can also hear a 2 and 4 beat!

Chev likes this.
  7. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Sometimes the deeper tracks give an idea of what was coming.

The Everlys recorded this in 1961 I believe, though it wasn't issued until 1964.

8. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Good Lord. Being from Wisconsin I've never seen the Legends mentioned on this forum (other than
    I believe once by me). But you are correct. The "Let Loose" album is terrific, and was a major seller
    throughout the Midwest in 1962. It was first issued on the Ermine label, and then got picked up
    by Capitol. (I have both). And Sam McCue is, I believe, still playing in the Milwaukee area.
    One of the best instrumentals from the early sixties.....

ILovethebassclarinet and troggy like this.
  9. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

The truth is it was The Beatles "Rubber Soul" that influenced or changed Brian Wilson view on what a rock album should be. Also according to The Beatles former engineer it was Paul McCartney who was one who had the most production ideas.

10. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

one of the worst sherman bros tunes i've ever heard. seemed like a lame idea to do it. i loved all of mary poppins 100 times more. bland.

there was a virtual avalanche of oldies remakes then, between 73 and 76 (hey, that makes me think that the two eras had a link...) some were better than others. a lot of that was musical dead wood, looking to keep from petrifying. the singles market was trying to serve pre-schoolers too at this time. this makes for more bland unexeptionable fare, amd more novelty songs, of which those r&r remakes were examples, to me. they were chosen for acceptability, and not necessarily any brilliance.

whenever you have a boom, you have an expansion of the mission. the mission after both the rock and roll boom, and also the late 60s rock boom, was to bring younger tykes into that singles market to expand it ( possibly the younger siblings of the berry, or beatles fans.) to me top 40 radio suffered under these conditions.

11. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

stand by me was a good choice for the single from the LP. but if you look at the LP and it's history it's not a pretty story. long story short: it was mostly 50s rock and roll; songs were chosen to satisfy lawsuits by the copyright holder of the tunes; and i count only 4 or 5 later tunes, by sam cooke, benny king, lee dorsey, and rosie and the originals. it is not a strong endorsement of early 60s music to my ears. it's a court ordered oldies LP. the tunes cut in rehearsal: that'll be the day, cmon everybody, and thirty days, one of berry's earliest and two tunes by OG rockers who died.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of the surf and hot rod albums, almost all of which are from 1962 - 1964. Wrecking Crew session musicians and songs written by Gary Usher, all enjoyable to my ears. There's some interesting stuff out there. For whatever reason, original pressings of most of these, are not cheap. I've got some weird ones, too ... The GO Sound of the Slots, which is music played with lyrics about slot car racing, LOL.

13. shrinksjp

shrinksjp Well-Known Member

Prior to signing with MGM, Connie FRancis a=was brought to Columbia to Mitch Miller. He turned her down saying that she had no looks , was too short, and too ethnic looking. Boy was he sorry a year later when she broke through. He was the first one knocking on her door when her MGM contract was up in 1960. Reprise wanted her badly, as did other companies. MGM gave Connie everything to keep her.

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't even know if it's because they forget about it. A lot of people here weren't even around in the early 60s, or were way to young for it to have had any significant personal impact unless they had ample exposure to the music at some point. It also may have something to do with the type of music they like and were exposed to. This forum has a lot of post Beatles rock fans, so, consider the room atmosphere.

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Apparently, a LOT of people do notice, and heed the words the professional critics he hired.

Tim 2 and douglas mcclenaghan like this.
  16. shrinksjp

The Brill Building also gave us Connie Francis and Bobby Darin.

RSteven likes this.
  17. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I don’t dislike it per se, it’s just there wasn’t enough innovation for me. Things really started to pick up in 64

lc1995 and Carl Swanson like this.
  18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Or the much more highly rated Linda Ronstadt.

nm_west and RSteven like this.
  19. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

I hear ya,but the early sixties jumped too,it's just that at the beginning of[Camelot]things were kinda quiet,Motown was in it's infancy and many of the doo-woppers were fading,but artist like-the Drifters-Shirelles-Four Seasons-Beach Boys-Impressions-Brook Benton-Sam Cooke were hitting.

lc1995, frightwigwam and seed_drill like this.
  20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Chrysler ruined this song with their horrid Plymouth of the same name.

21. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

There was a lot of great music released in the early Sixties. This era was simply overshadowed by the many legends of Fifties rock before it and Beatlemania following it.

Simple as that.

Crimson Witch, frightwigwam and WLL like this.
  22. shrinksjp

..and Carole King.

Connie, Neil, Carole, and Bobby all together.

Grant likes this.
  23. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Isn't that later than 1960? BTW, Bobby's version of this song was a quasi-" rock'n'roll " remake of it. The Italian-language original had been the biggest hit version in America a couple years before, with I guess Dean Martin's the biggest - Best-remembered now, anyway - of various English-language cover versions in a more traditional lounge style.

24. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I love the early 60s popular music as well. Among my favorite eras.

RSteven, WLL, Damiano54 and 2 others like this.
  25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Marty Robbins' Don't Worry.

RSteven and John B Good like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.