Why are the Early 60's so Disliked?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosskeenneat, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I agree.

2. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Because they wore suits while performing? :D

Damiano54 and John B Good like this.
  3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I love the early 60s. It was a fertile period that produced some of the best records in existence. To say something as untrue as the claim that nothing of note happened between the death of Buddy and the arrival of the Beatles amounts to a lazy person's assertion - the ramblings of one who cannot be bothered to hunt down the records by scouring fairs and conventions as opposed to simply dialing into the Rhino vaults and searching with the keywords "top 100". Some of the best records ever made never turned up anywhere near a chart. But I guess some people are willing to dismiss all of those weird, local 45s that for any number of reasons didn't get picked up by a regional or national label and so distribution of the 100 to 500 copies that were pressed scarcely made it beyond the band members' high school busing district.
    Of course there are those records that did make the jump from small, independent studio labels to regional-label pressing distribution and perhaps did bubble under the charts, just missing the top-100, but then have simply been forgotten over the years. It's a sad and dispassionate mentality that believes that if a song didn't sell in huge quantities and make a fortune for some big label and its suits, then it is best forgotten.
    Why would I let some bored of directors decide for me that only that art which managed to be exploited by a business is worthy of my attention ?
    True aficionados and collectors know that what they're after doesn't always come served to them on a silver platter. More often than not, one has to go after it, find it, and acquire it the hard way.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    zphage and frightwigwam like this.
  4. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Hahaha. What does Jann Wenner have to do with it? Or is it just easy to blame him for all of the world's ills?
    How silly.
    Anyway...
    I'd say that after the explosion of Rock & Roll in the mid-50's, the music lost its edge at the beginning of the 60's
    (y'know, around the time the Big E went into the army). Not that that's a bad thing, but... it just wasn't as exciting. Still, there was some good music that was released. The world needed to catch its
    breath before the next music explosion!
    :--)

Larry Mc likes this.
  5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

So did most mid-60s rock bands. Try again. :D

lc1995 likes this.
  6. Grant

And this guy:
    [​IMG]

WLL and starduster like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Why are the Early 60's so Disliked?

not in my collection!

RSteven, laf848, Tord and 4 others like this.
  8. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

They wore suits and their hair were slick? :p

9. Grant

Yes.

10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

It wasn't just the suits thing. Bands in the 80s wore suits too (and some of that music was awful as well, but that's a discussion for another time). There is something I find sickeningly sweet about that whole early 1960s era, the presentation of the groups (not bands, GROUPS), so neat, so squeaky clean, so innocent, so goody-goody. Neil Sedaka's "Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen" perhaps encapsulates in one song almost everything I dislike about the music scene of that era.

Looking back even from the 1980s, let alone from 2020, the impression gained is that the predecessors of the Parental Guidance crowd had got to every recording before it was released, listened to it a few times before eventually deciding "Yes that one's OK, I'm comfortable with letting my little Johnny and Susie listen to that."

Yes of course there were exceptions in the form of some great songs, and one could say that about any era. Still, the OP asked the question, and so I have tried to answer it.

11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

That’s how I see it. It’s not hated, more overlooked.

Obviously, the Beatles had a wide impact. But let’s be fair here, you had Motown starting to make a name for itself, the surf music scene (not to mention jazz hitting its artistic peak). Rock/Pop (or rock and roll if you will) was in somewhat of a weird place giving the Buddy Holly crash and Elvis being in the army, but it’s still worth looking into. There was gold, there was crap, but that’s true of any period.

frightwigwam likes this.
  12. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

OK, as a thought experiment I've determined what decade tracks on my single song iPod come from (using 0 as the base year rather than the more accurate 1, e.g. 1960-1969 is one decade). Results:
    40s: 43 tracks
    50s: 299
    60s: 1370
    70s: 1673
    80s: 1355
    90s: 776
    00s: 1198
    10s: 1299

Conclusions:
    1) Doesn't actually indicate much, other than when I came of age, where everyone's taste seems to fixate
    2) Blowed if I know what I'll do with playlists if I make it to 2039.

13. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

:edthumbs:

14. There is no way in heck that anyone can discover all the good music and still have time to eat sleep and work.

Of course there was good music in the early 60s. Are there many who actually believe that music of the mid to late 60s wasn't better in general?

seed_drill and Tim 2 like this.
  15. Grant

This tells me you didn't like the 50s or the 90s much.

wellhamsrus and Tim 2 like this.
  16. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Eat, sleep and work are way over rated, lol.

troggy, frightwigwam and starduster like this.
  17. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Even at Monterey Pop, that was the case. I assume that ended by 1968, though.

Grant likes this.
  18. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

Alternatively, I like the 50s more than the 40s, and I had kids in the 90s so I didn't get out much.

19. Grant

Ah, so now you can catch up.

wellhamsrus likes this.
  20. Especially work.

21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Aren't you glad we're both retired ? :agree:

22. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Ok it's not rock but I just have to mention Howlin' Wolf's extraordinary "Rocking Chair" album from 1961!

23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Listening to it now on Tidal.

All Down The Line likes this.
  24. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Lots of great music from the early Sixties but has anyone touched on how different post Army Elvis was to pre Army Elvis. The loss of rebellion meant a lot.

There was lots of garbage as well.

Read the tracklists of these two albums that highlight the year of my birth.

Billboard Top Rock'n'Roll Hits: 1963 - Wikipedia

Billboard Top Pop Hits - Wikipedia
    Scroll down to 1963

Barely any difference between the two and a good deal of garbage on there as well. I could be wrong but one of the reasons that the Beatles were such a breath of fresh air was that Sugar Shack had been recently #1 for five weeks when it was released. Should I mention that Dominique and Dale and Grace's emasculated version of I'm Leaving It All Up to You followed?
    I'm not saying everything was terrible. Louie Louie was breathing down their necks on the charts. The overall feel you get from that time is one of meh ..

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Tim 2 likes this.
  25. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Just in the short time frame I focused on they covered Dale and Grace's version of I'm Leaving It All Up To You and Nino Tempo and April Steven's version of Deep Purple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.