Why aren't Hendrix reissues done like the Miles Davis Sony/Legacy boxes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Anyone? Why do Miles and Coltrane reissues and boxsets receive much more thought and care than what EH/MCA have put out? Sure, Jimi was a pop star and Miles Davis wasn't but why should that matter this late in the game? Why haven't we seen a Complete Bitches Brew Sessions styled box for Electric Ladyland, or a Live at the Plugged Nickel styled set for the six 10/68 JHE Winterland sets? Would a Complete Electric Ladyland Sessions box sell that much less than the 'purple' box EH put out a few years ago?

Chris

N.P. Cherokee Mist - Electric Ladyland outtake from the OOP Lifelines set

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I can't answer your question, I just wanted to say that maybe it is because the rights to Jimi Hendrix's material is still being disputed. If you read the June 2003 issue of Guitar One magazine, you will see that as of today, there is no clear indication of who has absolute legal rights to the Hendrix recorded legacy.

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Also I think that Miles studio sessions are much more defined in time period and were cataloged much better than Jimi's. Miles also tended to use CBS studios. Jimi recorded in a variety of studios across the globe and I think most of his sessions were not nearly as well documented.
    Never the less a great idea.

4. Chris M

While it's true that Jimi used many different studios nearly all of his post Are You Experienced sessions are very well documented and EH has all the outtakes and multitracks. This may not of been the case 10 years ago but most of Jimi's reels are all in one place now. Many reels and a large amount of studio documentation was discovered/recovered by EH after the Sessions book was published in the mid 90's. If they wanted to issue a Complete Jack Johnson Sessions or Pet Sounds Sessions type box for any of Jimi's albums the tapes and session info are all there. It's just a case of EH/MCA not wanting to do it :mad:

Chris

5. Chris M

Jimi's brother Leon and Mike Jeffery's estate have claimed in the press that they own the rights to Jimi's material but as of now EH/MCA has the rights. For the moment at least they can issue anything they want. Also, EH/MCA has had the catalog for 8 years so they have had ample opportunity to do the catalog justice.

Chris

6. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Don't know the answer, but it's a damn good idea whose time has definitely come (and probably passed)

7. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

I think also Jimi did not have the discipline of Miles Davis and did not produce the variety of material that Miles Davis committed to tape. I think also the average rock fan would not be inclined to buy a multi-disc at the royalty rate that that the estate would want and Universal would want to put out on the market.

8. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Janie Hendrix, Jimi's half-sister and head of Experience Hendrix was recently guest on the syndicated show "Off The Record". The only thing new that was mentioned was the tribute CD coming out in the spring with various artist like S.R.V., Clapton, Santana etc. I wonder if they are holding back because of the lawsuit right now. She made no mention of it during the show.

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

She isn't his half sister, is she? She's his stepsister... no blood relation there. And Leon Hendrix is Jimi's half-brother, not full brother, isn't he?

10. Chris M

Your right about Janie Hendrix, no blood relation. I think Leon's relation is in dispute. They have the same Mother for sure. Leon and Jimi were raised together as brothers from birth.

Chris

11. Chris M

I'm not sure I agree with your statement regarding Jimi and discipline. Hearing Jimi shape ideas and leads over multiple takes is very compelling listening. It's amazing where he takes Vodoo Child (Slight Return) over the course of 16 takes. Also, there was a wide 'variety' of material recorded at the EL sessions...the South Saturn Delta Session was very jazzy, Vodoo Chile was blues, Come On was rock, Have You Ever Been to Electric Ladyland was RnB, Crosstown Traffic was pop, 1983 is psychedelic, etc.

The royalty rate problem was sorted out for the Pet Sounds box so I assume it's do-able for Jimi's albums.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.