Why artists are avoiding the SuperBowl Half Time Show

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PhilBorder, Dec 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Lauryn Hill's been offered the Super Bowl Half-Time Show ? I think you have your answer.....

D.D.

uzn007 likes this.
  3. Time to bring back Up With People!!

Summerisle, Sean, uzn007 and 5 others like this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I think it's been downhill since the term "wardrobe malfunction" became a thing. Besides, big artists now make more touring. Doing a halftime show would help sell an records, probably does nothing for seeing the artist live. You'd be giving away incentive to see them live by giving away a free live show. And selling records doesn't make money, because renting is how people mostly listen today.

melstapler, Fullbug and lightbulb like this.
  5. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

By the time she gets on the stage, the whole game will be finished.

6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I wonder if anyone asked Foo Fighters. It seems like it might be on Dave's bucket list to play the Super Bowl.

Meyer, Sean, lightbulb and 3 others like this.
  7. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Dump the big name entertainment. Show highlights and flubs of the year's games. Celebrate football.

Summerisle, Sean, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

As the article notes, the NFL doesn't pay artists for their halftime performances. Claims promotional value worth it.

melstapler, TonyCzar and Spitfire like this.
  9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The local NYC classic rock station claims they aren't allowed to use the words 'Super Bowl' on the air...thought that was odd.

melstapler likes this.
  10. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Yes, that's why you'll see lots of commercials that just say 'the Big Game' rather than 'Super Bowl.'

I can't blame artists for not wanting to do the show. It's a tough gig--you get such a brief amount of time, you have to do a show that is a spectacle for the folks at home and the folks in the stadium, the sound is usually awful... It's thankless. A few artists have pulled it off (Prince and U2 stick out in my mind, and I thought both Katy Perry and Lady Gaga nailed the 'spectacle' part of things) but even more have done mediocre to bad work. I'm a diehard Stones fan, and I thought their halftime show was terrifically blah. Same goes for the Who.

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I bet The Piano Guys are available...! :goodie:

12. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

They've even tried to stop people from using "the Big Game".

13. Bill

Bill Senior Member

For these and other reasons, I have had it with the NFL.
    Too self-important.

Fullbug, Lonecat, Sean and 6 others like this.
  14. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

This is best idea.

15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Almost every FF show is a 'half time show.'

16. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

They need to be done with the halftime shows. The Super Bowl is only about the game and the commercials anyway. :shrug:

17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I'm sure Ted Nugent or a zillion country music artists would do it!

TonyCzar, Sean and dmiller458 like this.
  18. meimnoone

meimnoone Forum Resident

That’s almost certainly due to this year’s increased politicization of the NFL, which fell under the cultural microscope when former 49er Colin Kaepernick was heavily criticized (by our president, no less) for taking a knee during the national anthem in protest of police brutality and racial injustice. Rihanna, for example, reportedly turned down the gig as a show of support to Kaepernick. “No one wants to associate themselves with the NFL,” US Weekly

19. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Maybe they could have a poetry slam between the past and present poet Laureates.

Or 15 minutes of silence. Let the fans think about things for a bit.

:--)

Fullbug and uzn007 like this.
  20. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Part of the reason they make so much money on the superbowl is people who don't give a crap about football still watch it. People like my mom who might watch one game a year still are interested in the halftime show. (And even she would probably turn it off if they put some bro-country act or Ted Nugent on there.)

I used to be a big football fan but I seriously doubt the games are on the up and up anymore, so I basically just skip it.

21. John54

John54 Senior Member

Doesn't matter why. I always avoid watching it!

oldsurferdude likes this.
  22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The only radio stations that can say Super Bowl on the air are those stations that are Westwood One NFL affiliates promoting the game. The only TV stations that can say Super Bowl on the air are the stations that are running the Super Bowl (this year it is CBS) and the NFL Network and also during any NFL game is another time that they are allowed to use it for obvious reasons.

23. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

Does it mean even sports radio stations cannot mention the Super Bowl unless they're affiliated with Westwood One? :confused:

:wave:

24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I would avoid it because miming a lip-synced medley of hits in underwater mp3 sound quality on the TV broadcast isn’t an appealing proposition.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  25. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

They keep pushing the game back further and further from the regular season and next thing we'll know it'll be played on July 4th.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.