Why buy the DCC Gold 'Hotel California'?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chip Stylus, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jblock

jblock Senior Member

I'm with the posters who say pass it by if you're not an Eagles fan. I often see DCC CDs of groups that don't do anything for me. What good is a great sounding CD if you don't like the music? Personally, I don't like the Eagles and I don't like Hotel California. A better sounding CD is not going to change my opinion. I do like Joe Walsh, tho!

Jonathan

2. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I sort of agree with you, but then again when someone lists a gold CD on eBay and labels it poorly, it usually goes for a lot less - and I pounce. Sort of the same thing.

3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I see that as being different. Yes, poor judgement on the Ebay seller (who is stating a starting price, etc.) and you're taking advantage of an opportunity. That's fair I think in life. I see it differently when someone walks into a store and is deliberately offered a "rip-off" price and is just about taken advantage of by a cunning dealer. I would suspect that the person trying to sell his used CD's in a shop would (sadly) assume that he/she was being given a fair price rather then ripped-off out of ignorance....

Todd

4. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

:laugh: Speak for your self Todd, I'm back for a moment of worship. :help:

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Too funny! :laugh: :laugh:

6. World of Genesis

World of Genesis Active Member

Hotel Calif. DCC GOLD CD

Personally, the DCC Gold disc for the Eagles HC is still probably one of my favorite Hoffman remasters. I have not purchased the DVD-A to compare them properly, but the DCC version is a great sounding disc. Even the packaging was great!

I wish that DCC would have put the same attention to detail into the packaging of Steve's remaster of Genesis' From Genesis To Revelation. That disc (which was aluminum by the way - not gold) was plagued with typos, errors ("Silent Gun" instead of "The Silent Sun" is just one of them) and inaccurate period band photos - very disappointing. Between all of the errors and the picture of Steve Hackett and Phil Collins on the front (who were not even in the band when this LP was recorded) - I've seen bootlegs with more attention to detail. Certainly, this is not Steve's fault - He is not the graphic designer, after all. It's just sad coming from a great company like DCC who were known for quality (not just in remastering, but in packaging, too).

7. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Todd, think about it. Who's going to go to the trouble to pay the dough for a gold disc and then sell it for $4 because they hate it that badly (knowing that even if they didn't care for it, they could recoup much of their loss from someone else) and then sign up on a forum dedicated to discussing these discs just to announce they sold it for such a ridiculous amount?

Either the person is a troll or someone with more issues than they make out.

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

If anyone doesn't like their DCC CD, please let us know. We'll be glad to buy them off of you.

HC On DCC is a great thing. I love both the CD and the LP. Gorgeous sound.

Steve Hoffman is not God. He's a very hard-working audio engineer who knows something sounds good when he hears it, and I'm glad to put the money down for it. Every time I do, I'm very happy I did.

If that doesn't work for you, that's cool. That just means there's one less person grabbing for product I'm either looking for, or that could go to a fan who wants it more than you. That's all.

I would have paid $10 for that disc easy :) Oh, well....

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I just tried this. yes, it does indeed work that way.

Also, the O-N and O-F-F switch seems to turn the unit on and off. To turn it on put the O-N/ O-F-F switch in the O-N position. To turn it off put the O-N/ O-F-F switch in the O-F-F position. Works every time. :thumbsup:

10. Sckott

I'd like to think this person lost some bread in the deal. A disc that used to retail for $26.99 and that's worth close to $100 now, got $4.00 for it.

Good going. :thumbsup: You just did something very foolish, and admitted it on a public forum!

11. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I'm trying to buy it, and the GH, too.

Who's this "Steve?"

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Re: Hotel Calif. DCC GOLD CD

Nice thread crap, pal.

I happen to agree with you though. It sucks. Glad you were only one of the 6 people who bought that turkey.

13. Todd Fredericks

:laugh:

Jamie, thanks for the tip about the O-N/O-F-F thingie. I've been pullin' the fuse out of the wall, and darn it if the penny always falls out each time. Also, did you know that to hear CD music you have to hit this thing called P-L-A-Y. It took me at least six mumps to figure that one out. Well, that was after mother told me to pug this snake thing into the wall (took me 3 hours to carve a hole that would fit!!).... :)

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Re: Re: Hotel Calif. DCC GOLD CD

Uh, five people. I have two copies. :D

15. Todd Fredericks

Re: Re: Hotel Calif. DCC GOLD CD

Steve, I have no idea what you were smokin' when you worked on that dud! Are you sure (yes sireeee) the tapes were the only thing baked?? Man, not only is that piece of ka-ka CD "soft", it's also less than 80 minutes!!!!!! what a friggin' rip off....... :)

16. Steve Hoffman

Re: Re: Re: Hotel Calif. DCC GOLD CD

Oh no. And you still post here?

17. Sckott

Re: Re: Re: Hotel Calif. DCC GOLD CD

Jamie's a big squirrel. :D

18. Todd Fredericks

I'm not sure but I think that was the name of the guy who played tamberine on that album (in the adjoining studio across the street)?! If not, then it must be the name of the mixing desk, kind of like how people call their cars Bessie or some **** like that.............

19. Todd Fredericks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hotel Calif. DCC GOLD CD

Ya, NUTZ!!!! Especially for buying two!! Man, didn't he know he could download those boring songs from MP3.com or record it off the radio????

20. Steve Hoffman

I wuz thinking the same thing, comrade.

21. Todd Fredericks

I didn't at first (blush), I need more coffee today. His tone did put up a red flag however......

Todd

22. Mark

Todd: Mighta been the guy getting donuts and coffee for Henley.

23. Mark

Jamie: I learned this both from my parents, and my wife, as in "turn down the g***** stereo!"

24. Todd Fredericks

That's right!! Little Stevie (famous for his webbed feet and toothless grin)! He was the kid with the cigarette ashes on his head (they always used him as a substitute tray).... :)

25. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I agree......I run a jackhammer 24 hrs a day, and I like my music SCREAMING LOUD!!!!!!!! So Steve, do me a favour, just compress and maximize the $%^ out of everything from now on so I can hear the damn music...........oh, and I traded in my Sun Records 45 of That's Alright Mama so I could get the new 2nd to None disc.....got $5 for it!

YEEEEEESH!!!!!!!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.