Why Did Captain America Say, "We blew it!" to Billy? ["Easy Rider" movie]

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sternodox, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I honestly think Peter Fonda lived very comfortably and only worked when he felt like it. CelebrityNetWorth says he was worth $40M at the time of his death, which is possible. Interestingly, sister Jane is worth $200M, I'm guessing because of her exercise video empire, plus having worked quite a bit in the last 30 years (and also got half of Ted Turner's money in the divorce). She kept busy for a long time.

Steve Litos, notesfrom and IronWaffle like this.
  2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I bought the Criterion Blu-Ray and watched Easy Rider for the first time a couple of months ago and I agree, I thought it was a really boring movie. I almost fell asleep a couple of times.

Maybe it would have made more sense if I had seen it when it originally came out, but I just didn't get it. I am also not a biker, and I have never smoked weed, so that could be part of the problem, too.

I will give it another chance sometime down the line.

Regginold31 likes this.
  3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I’m not a biker nor have I smoked weed either, but I get the film. It’s all good. Not everyone can like everything :)

The Hud likes this.
  4. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

They "blew it" by defining freedom and happiness as achieving economic wealth.
    The "road" to freedom was not getting "rich".

Same as their parents generation.

5. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Good to know he lived comfortably from the proceeds of Easy Rider. Shame he (and Dennis Hopper) didn't feel the need to share some of that wealth with Terry Southern.

6. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

I simply thought it was the end of the American Dream s we knew it (Whatever that was, for the hopes and dreams of each generation).

Steve Litos likes this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I love this movie. It's so Kerouac in some ways and Jim Thompsonian in others.

I would love to see the original cut of this that Hopper worked on and scrapped.

I've changed my mind several times about "We blew it," but I tend now to agree with the man above who says that they failed to achieve happiness pursuing independent wealth.

Myke and notesfrom like this.
  8. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I remember Terry Southern's anger at being stiffed by the other stars on the writing credits.

9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

to get to the other side?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.