Why did grunge music shun keyboards?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RosesFromYesterday, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Correct, and my mis-statement. We did address that upthread, though.

2. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Why? Because grunge bands didn't consider keyboards to be cool. Guitars, man!

Instant Dharma likes this.
  3. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Shunned? Says who! I disagree with this thread premise....
    Always wanted a Keyboard player in my band and did have for a couple short runs..
    Only problem I had with Keyboard players is their tendency not to have a stage amp and wanting to play through the PA system..
    Most people who got called grunge hated the label finding it confining.....Most did embrace the label for 5 minutes, but still

4. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

More and more I'm realizing some of the bands did use keyboards but they were sneaky about it - just listening to Sean Kinney playing piano on Facelift - I never knew. Soundgarden and Pearl Jam also used them a few times. I'm not sure about 80s grunge bands but Screaming Trees did use organ on their earliest records.

BeatlesObsessive and CassetteDek like this.
  5. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

All due respect to "The Killer(September 29, 1935 – October 28, 2022) of course.. as well as Ian McLagan, Gary Brooker, Johnnie Johnson, Nicky Hopkins, Billy Preston, Fats Domino and a few hundred OTHER names I should mention here. I was just giving the justification for the antisocial joys of the electric guitar unscrupulously amplified but truth be told.. you just don't HAVE rock and roll without the influence of the piano and EVERY major organ and keyboard product has its own history in this music when it is well played. The piano is big, unwieldy and often is forced to fight with a rush of other sounds and can get lost until all you CAN hear is the "plink plink plink" of some high keys through the chaos! But in the hands of great players like Jools who give a lot of thought and have some control over how the music is presented we get a chance to restore the ivories to their rightful place.

Regginold31 likes this.
  6. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Like the punks, they were more aggressive than ELP.

7. Obviously...

"Grunge" was/is anti-cape:
    [​IMG]

speedracer likes this.
  8. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Were flannel capes permissible?

Patanoia and speedracer like this.
  9. gonfishn

gonfishn Senior Member

That's such a general statement but I think I get your point if you remove the word "shunned keyboards ". Grunge or the Metal genre that encompasses "GRUNGE" is about guitars and drums. How many metal bands use keyboards and that is were "GRUNGE" came from. How do you think "TOOL" would sound with keyboards, and I am aware tool is not GRUNGE but GRUNGE is rooted in guitar rock plain and simple.

10. Regginold31

Regginold31 Forum Resident

This reminds me of Lou Reed's quote:
    “One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you’re into jazz.”

Patanoia and gonfishn like this.
  11. gonfishn

gonfishn Senior Member

Yeah, when it comes to grunge I will definitely agree.