Why did IMDB remove the Box Office & Business features?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vahan, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was told that two things happened: 1) there were huge screaming arguments that erupted on the old forums, to the point where threats of violence were made and lawsuits happened; 2) some celebrities complained that personal information got out, like home addresses and phone numbers, which they were not happy about. It's tough to do forums like that unless they're heavily policed and controlled by moderators. There are movie fans out there who put the "fan" into fanatic, no better or worse than religious proselytes or political gadflys, basically there to stir up trouble and cause dissent.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

They needed gorts / mods to police the boards. As is for the information..real movie fans...non nutters ..suffer, due to its demise.

3. alexpop

Ah ..my cornflake analogy post is gone.

4. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

5. alexpop

It's good something exist..
    But,not individual film/actor /director message boards ?

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

that was the company line but I don't buy it, the trolling/squabbling was really only on the huge films (latest star wars flick etc) 99 percent of the movie/film boards were as civil as it is here. and even the 'hot topic' boards weren't really that fiery - I don't think ive ever seen a threat of violence in all that time I was there
    and more of that celeb nonsense happens on reddit/4chan etc.
    imo they just weren't making enough ad revenue in their minds and they recoup it devoting space to more trailers etc.

alexpop likes this.
  7. the pope ondine

xilef regnu likes this.
  8. the pope ondine

If you use the search box I think you can find everything, I put in a couple obscure actors ad a random tv movie from 1970 and all the messages were archived

xilef regnu likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have been told that celebrity lawsuits were involved. What they should have done was to just make the discussion boards a separate entity so that Amazon couldn't be sued, make it non-profit, and then hire a whole bunch of moderators. But I believe that was seen as a) too much trouble and b) not profitable, so they just threw in the towel... which was the simplest thing to do. I don't know if you've heard this, but some people can be mean, cruel, and crazy on the internet.

budwhite and alexpop like this.
  10. the pope ondine

The only celeb lawsuit I know of was an actress who sued because her age was included in bio and she lost, I haven't heard of anything else, I'd love to hear about a lawsuit over the message boards, I agree though, not profitable enough was probably the reason, and really most posters there are/were cool just don't feed the trolls

alexpop likes this.
  11. alexpop

Never noticed "aggressive " stuff myself. But you'd get the occasional derogatory remark ( actress usually), but nothing compared to "Youtube " which gets worse silly stuff.

12. alexpop

What they should have done?
    Non-profit separate entity doesn't make sense to hire a bunch of mods. When the IMDb message board was running ( the hot /nasty boards ) the moderators should have closed down /tidied up existing problem stuff.

13. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Special cornflakes may be subject to moderation too.

:cheers:
    Cat

14. alexpop

Or corny jokes.:laugh:

15. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

It's in the other IMDb thread.

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

It's confusing these days "DB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.