Why did rock die?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andypandy65, Jan 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andypandy65

andypandy65 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I heard there’s been no rock band break through on a general public consciousness level since the Arctic Monkeys 15 years ago. And as for mega artists that arrived in the 60s or 70sand 80s in profusion and are still playing massive stadiums you’d only have oasis (who split up over a decade ago) since the mid 90s to add to that list.

do music forms have a finite life span - jazz was the music de jure for a large part of the population from its birth from ragtime until the mid 60s when rock took over at the music of the era and of the ‘intellectual’ critic types. Jazz arguably died at 50 years old as far as possessing the zeitgeist rock seems to have also no longer been relevant for the majority of the population at about 50 years old. Maybe this is something that happens to all popular culture movements.

For most of the 16-25year olds of today with their hiphop, r&b and “edm” music with guitars seems positively antediluvian and something for the older generation to be interested in.

are we on here remnants of a passing era?

2. Mr. Siegal

Mr. Siegal Forum Resident

Cause of death in autopsy: confirmed dementia disorders

3. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Here we go again!

joy stinson, jɑmbo, roger87 and 62 others like this.
  4. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

You kind of answered your own question rather satisfactorily, I would say.
    :)

5. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Neither Arctic Monkeys nor Oasis "broke through on a general public consciousness level" in the world's biggest record market, the USA. (Arguably they did this nowhere, except in the UK. Arguably they didn't even do this in the UK.)

To your question: things that are "popular", by definition, go up and then go down in cultural relevance and in commercial favor. There are no exceptions. Rock and roll music will of course never go away or disappear from certain contemporary levels of popularity, but its period as a shaper and reflection of culture was roughly 1955 to 1980.

If you want to draw a comparison with Jazz, rock and roll music now is something like Jazz was in the 1980s.

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Heck, in the US no rock band has grabbed the public consciousness since Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Then Cobain killed himself and Pearl Jam kind of withdrew from the mainstream. Since then the fading rock banner seems to have been held by . . . Foo Fighters, the band started by Nirvana's drummer.

7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Rock is alive and well and producing some of its best music in decades.

It might not be mainstream, at least in the UK & US but being underground suits the genre and, in my neck of the woods at least, there are plenty of young people at rock gigs and a whole raft of promising young bands knocking on the door of a breakthrough.

8. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

one of the great things about digital storage of audio is that the music of past recorded history is preserved in a non-deteriorating medium (unlike vinyl and magnetic tape which have a finite lifespan) so that future generations can have the ability to rediscover music from a century or more before they were born
    (provided of course the tech infrastructure and libraries are maintained by society). There will always be people out there interested in relics of the past because it is human nature in some to want to discover them

roger87, quicksrt, Jack_K. and 4 others like this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

RickH likes this.
  10. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Because it's been done and marketed and it's no longer new and record companies have moved on to pushing something else. This happens with every single form of every single genre of every single type of thing. People want new stuff.

roger87, head_unit, quicksrt and 6 others like this.
  11. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

You stopped watering it.

jlf, D-rock, Tebbiebear and 39 others like this.
  12. It became modern country.

Rock needs to want to be accessible again, seek out hits, compete.

13. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

I thought it was your turn!

14. Evethingandnothing

Darn! Thanks for reminding me. Maybe it's not too late.

15. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I'm blaming the Arctic Monkeys and Oasis.

16. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Just like car wrecks......I'd assign "blame" on covid-19.

Trader Joe likes this.
  17. Pearl Jam, Chili Peppers, Radiohead, Metallica, Dave Matthews, etc.,

One doesn't need to be a stadium act to be vital and relevant.

18. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

Simple. People kept making threads about rock dying and rock got so depressed that it decided to retire and buy itself a nice house down at the beach.

19. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

It died because I stopped listening to new stuff.
    Or I stopped listening to new stuff because it died.
    Or both.
    Or neither.

20. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Done in by:

Steve Jobs
    Pro Tools
    MTV
    Nirvana
    Rap

21. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Try buying a ticket for a Tool show when that's possible, and then ask yourself again.

22. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I agree with your 3rd para ‘jazz in the 80s’ comparison entirely, as to your 2nd para I would extend rocks influence as a ‘shaper and reflection of culture’ up until the mid 00s (ie 50 years after its inception) but as to your first para, there is no way that it is ‘arguable’ that Oasis didn’t ‘break through on a general public consciousness level’ in the UK in the 90s. They were inescapably huge in the UK in 95-97, way beyond the context of the music sphere. They were prime tabloid fodder in that period, rarely off the front pages of red top newspapers.

23. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Oh dear...

People stopped caring about the words and focused more on the beats... gee, isn't that ironic?

24. Evethingandnothing

When's the next album scheduled for release?

roger87 likes this.
  25. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

2030!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.