Why Did The Rolling Stones ' Shattered ' Do So Poorly As A Single?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jul 25, 2021.

1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I don't ever remember anything as hard rocking as Shattered cracking the top ten in the late 70s.
    Top ten radio in late 70s NYC where I lived at the time was WABC AM. Shattered was more WPLJ FM type material for NYC in those days....That station was "New York's best rock"... Heard Shattered on there plenty.......WPLJ listeners were more album buyers...I bought a few singles because of being in a store and that was all I had enough money for.

2. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Judging by the replies in this thread alone, I would say that this claim is pretty far from acurate :D

Wildest cat from montana and ARK like this.
  3. I wonder if anyone actually saw it at the time, though.

bumbletort and ARK like this.
  4. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

When it wasn't a big hit, Mick and Keith were shattered. In fact, Keith was so upset that he took a 45rpm of the single and shattered it against the wall.

5. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I don't know anybody who was buying singles at that time anyway. I'm surprised any single sold well after the early 70s.

The last 'current' single I bought was in 1970.

Let it Be/You know my name, Look up the number

6. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

just being honest. The majority of the SG album is Mick’s attempt to go punk/disco, whatever. I realize it was a hugely successful album with the Miss You hit. I just never cared for it.

to end on a positive note - I absolutely love the final two songs (which are basically considered “Keith” songs) - Before They Make Me Run & Beast of Burden. Just beautiful those two are.

But Shattered? I don’t think so.

7. Blue Devil

Blue Devil Forum Resident

Thanks. Quite a number of people don't appear to understand that the phrase "but seriously" indicates that the previous remark was made in jest. Oh well.

8. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

This forum is hardly representative of top 40 listeners.
    I was there when it came out. It didnt sound anything like the hits of the day. It was too raw for top 40, too tame to be new wave.
    It's a great song, though. Feels fresh today.

9. BostonBob

BostonBob Paperback Writer

Shattered is my favorite Stones song, but I'm not that much of a Stones fan.

10. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

It was certainly played more than once in the U.K. on Top of the Pops

11. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Actually the production is complex with many layers of guitar...some of the production on Some Girls is almost Wall of Sound when it comes to the guitars on
    Shattered, Whip and Respectable...layers of electric and pedal steel. Great headphone listening.

stef1205, YardByrd, edkeef and 3 others like this.
  12. fmfxray373

Yeah it was definitely not your typical Stones or for that matter late 70s rock...
    perhaps a bit of Never Mind The Bullocks production with some glossy guitar.
    Don't know which came first Some Girls or Bullocks...too lazy to google.

Bollocks came out in 1977
    ...Stones probably heard it.

13. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Actually, NY's best rock was on WNEW-FM, but I digress. ;)

ARK, sekaer, fmfxray373 and 1 other person like this.
  14. fmfxray373

I bought both Miss You and Shattered...
    the single was hardly dead in 1978.

15. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I never realized it had not done so well. Shattered was all over the radio when Some Girls was released. They performed it on Saturday Night Live. I still hear it all the time.

Great song.

16. fmfxray373

Vin Scelsa!

ARK, Sean, Vic_1957 and 2 others like this.
  17. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

They had a slew of excellent DJ's like Scelsa, Roscoe, Alison Steele, Scott Muni (whose Things From England show was something I always looked forward to), Pete Fornatele, Meg Griffin (the list goes on). All with different tastes and before the corporate overlords took over their personalities were all over their playlists.
    Late sixties thru the seventies it was must hear radio.

Bob J, ARK, Jack Lord and 4 others like this.
  18. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

there's always the 10% that will insist on a bad counterargument just to make their live more exciting :D

re-listened to the album yesterday, love the way Charlie bends the first 20 seconds of Whip, but there is lots of crap on that album.... still a few more albums to arrive that had legit hits on them

19. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

You last bought a single in 1970 so nobody else was buying them in the late 70s? Bizarre. Single sales were higher in the 70s and 80s (peak decade) than the 60s by quite a margin, 90s too probably.

Sean and fmfxray373 like this.
  20. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

I also remember for a short time (1979-80) WPIX FM in NY played quite a bit of punk/new wave. Living in Central NJ I would try to get it in but my receiver didn't always cooperate. :laugh: Once in while I was able to......it was a revelation hearing it mixed in with standard FM rock.

Sean, fmfxray373, ralphb and 2 others like this.
  21. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Yup, the soundtrack of my youth. Can't forget Dennis Elsas either, the King of the segue. He's still "spinning" at WFUV:

Dennis Elsas | WFUV

Brownie points for anyone who remembers Muni's first "Perfect Album Side." No, it wasn't a Beatles LP. ;)

22. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Vinnie was a great story teller. :agree:

fmfxray373 and ralphb like this.
  23. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Are there soundchecks online for 70s-80s WNEW? I'd love to hear that old station again!

ARK likes this.
  24. Country Rocker

Country Rocker Forum Resident

I think you've answered your own question here. With it being the third single release from 'Some Girls', most Stones fans already had the song. The laughably 'punk' video probably didn't help matters either. Good song though! One of my favourites off that album.

25. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

T Shirt and Razoo Kelley.:)

Vic_1957 likes this.