Why didn’t McCartney use his Lady Madonna voice more often?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatlesfan9091, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

"My Other Voice"

Sorry.

joy stinson likes this.
  2. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

So did the reviewer at Cashbox: "Take one step back, the Beatles ease their progressive pace with this knocking rhythm side that features Ringo Starr in a rare vocal showing..."

This is referenced in the song's Wikipedia entry.

905, joy stinson and DK Pete like this.
  3. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

That's funny. I also thought it was Ringo. And, for some reason, I thought this photo was them recording it (obviously, unaware that it was recorded a year after this was taken):

[​IMG]

jwb1231970 likes this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Wow..interesting. I don't recall hearing that before.

Ken Wood likes this.
  5. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

One of my favorite Beatles singles. I love Mccartney’s vocal on it. My all time favorite vocal by him is the studio version of Maybe I’m Amazed. Stunning!

joy stinson and DK Pete like this.
  6. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

I love those "Lady Madonna" vocalization Paul does so well, but I imagine that it hurts this throat.

joy stinson likes this.
  7. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I loved his voice and vocal personas in the decca sessions....we agree on lots but usually not on music I notice...

DK Pete likes this.
  8. joy stinson

I prefer the rock show lady Madonna...my go to version...and he looks like he’s in math playing the piano....in fact I prefer that version over Beatles version .....

9. stevef

stevef Senior Member

No, he sounds specifically like Elvis on "Name And Address" from London Town. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    joy stinson likes this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Pity Elvis Presley never did a version.

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I think our agreements/disagreements are about 50-50; I've always had a problem with the approach of Paul's pre-Parlophone vocals. It's interesting how much he changed his style once they started making proper records.

12. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

He seemed to use that voice when singing “Fine Line” live in 2005.

joy stinson likes this.
  13. joy stinson

Your guesstimate is probably closer to the truth about our agreements/disagreements which makes you an interesting poster for me to respond to as I have to formulate sound reason in my comments you disagree with and I’m not just in an echo chamber with you. Your posts are longer with supported info and I learn lots from them.

DK Pete likes this.
  14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Everyone learns from everyone here...it's just that some are too deep into their own cloud to admit it now and again. I've been a Beatles obsessive for the vast majority of my life; among "musical circles of friends", I was the Beatles know-it-all. Once I became a part of the Amazon forums and to a far greater degree here, I very quickly humbled and learned a lot a never knew or, even more jarring, THOUGHT I knew. And the technical knowledge here in terms of audio equipment is second to positively none.

15. joy stinson

He was trying out various vocal personas to suit the songs…love those sessions and listen to them along.

DK Pete likes this.
  16. joy stinson

Yes…it’s back here …love his voice here and this song…thanks for posting this song possibly my favorite on Macca III.

17. Mang

Mang Forum Resident

Ha! I laughed out loud reading the title. I agree, great song, great voice!

joy stinson likes this.
  18. joy stinson

Thing is I read he wrote it for Elvis, sent it to him, but Elvis returned it, so paul put it on London Town.

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Maybe that was the problem…trying personas other than being himself. Sounded very “put on” to me.

20. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

There’s nothing wrong with trying different personas. There are plenty of songs where Paul sounds like himself.

joy stinson and DK Pete like this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If any one Pop/Rock vocalist was the master of many voices, it was Paul. But that Latin lover type approach in pre-fame songs such as Like Dreamers Do, Besame Much and Love of the Loved sounded very fake and unflattering, IMO.

joy stinson and TonyR like this.
  22. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

Maybe I misunderstood you. I thought you were referring to “Lady Madonna” and other such songs. I agree with you on the Decca session. He hadn’t found his true voice yet.

joy stinson likes this.
  23. joy stinson

He had a great gift with adaptation of vocal personas and in his late Beatles and seventies decade vocal hay day. I can’t imagine those songs and albums had he done some of that stuff with his “regular” voice. Imagine monkberry moon delight, eat at home, several back to the egg songs, beware my love album version, Lucille in Kampuchea, summertime on choba, call me back again, rock show version, wild life WOE or album version, etc, done in his “regular” voice which would sound lame …and which would have seriously detracted from the uniqueness and power of the songs and performances. His vocal versatility in his vocal hay day was truly an asset and he used it well. I’m very grateful I saw him perform with wings in his vocal hay day, doing all styles using his different vocal personas as the subsequent times I saw him, vocally were no match for the wings tour when he easily swung vocally from one style to another. All really flexible vocalists have to ..”put on” to adjust their voices to the styles.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  24. joy stinson

Yes, he was trying out different voices with different songs…as no one knew what decca wanted. The Latin lover type voice was popular in the early sixties when bolero type stuff was the rage but the style soon faded with entry of brit invasion.

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Fats Domino did a version.