Why Didn't The AC/DC Style Originate In America?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, Jan 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

Nah ... a kid playing jazz guitar, classical guitar, blues guitar, country or folk isn’t influenced by CB. And some playing rock aren’t either - they could be influenced by Robert Johnson or Scotty Moore instead.

2. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Why didn't anyone realize that something hadn't been done yet that would be popular in the future? I think you are not accounting for yourself as the observer at the center of this question.

No one wanted to do it yet. But a band like AC/DC has a lot going on besides one musical factor. No one was capable of being them anyway. The bands that tried or came close weren't those guys and it didn't work like that just by use of a guitar sound.

Andrew Russe and carlwm like this.
  3. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

a Ken Burns series told me?

troggy likes this.
  4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

C'mon folks, everyone knows they got that riff thing they do from The Move.

Liam Brown likes this.
  5. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

It may be that the band coming from Aus. was a critical factor in them becoming themselves on the world stage too. I can't see it holding them back in any way, and it was a great story. US fans just saw more british hard rock coming in from the empire that was also a compelling new sound.

6. ralphb

Or maybe they borrowed it from a family member.

7. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Zilch hard blues rock from America before AC/DC? Dumbest post I have ever read on a rock thread. The hard rock blues based rock formula was nearly played out by 73, was old hat by the time AC/DC showed up. AC/DC didn't invent jack.

8. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Why should AC/DC have come from the USA?

Afterall, It had taken a bunch of people from the UK to make US audiences aware of the blues and rnb' that most of its population had ignored before that point, plus I can't think of anything to foreshadow AC/DC's sound in the USA, even if they did draw from early R&R.

The Easybeats had pretty much been a blueprint for AC/DC, and there wasn't really a rock band of comparable force (that were generally known) to come from the USA up until maybe the late 70s. The really influential artists in the field of loud guitar rock had either come from outside (excepting Hendrix, who'd relocated to the UK), or were someway out of most of the population's radar at that (MC5, Stooges, New York Dolls).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Blank Frank, Andrew Russe and ralphb like this.
  9. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

US resisted Slade earlier.

10. speedracer

You are either totally unaware of hard rock from the late 60s, early 70s, or trolling. But I'll let Leslie West settle this

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

I don't think AC/DC ever claimed they invented anything they just wanted to rock.

12. speedracer

Got no argument with that, or any issue with AC/DC - the OP is making the outlandish claim there was no hard blues rock in America before 1973 when AC/DC showed up.

Matthew Tate and Andrew Russe like this.
  13. jothoma

jothoma Forum Resident

Slade - UK 1972 - two years before AC/DC released their first single

https://youtu.be/RPTk5poAa1c

14. Archon

Archon Forum Resident

Sounds a lot like AC/DC before AC/DC were a thing.

15. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Thread derail but reminded me of the great INXS/Jimmy Barnes cover

905 and carlwm like this.
  16. ralphb

That Easybeats song I posted upthread came out in 1968. The Move track is 1971. Those songs are blueprints for the AC/DC sound.

17. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Me too.

It's where the songwriting and personality come in. All these bands are unique. I don't see slade in the same slot though.

18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I always thought that their sound was a natural, more sinister-sounding outgrowth of this famous Free song. Among other things.

Chuckee, penguinzzz and Big Blue like this.
  19. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Sure, but the other countries that also speak english had bands that quickly contributed to the musical evolution.

Once the basic ingredients were out there, and the music spread very quickly, cross pollinating, competing bands,
    and influencing each other. Beatles/Beach Boys, Jimi Hendrix/Cream etc etc. Does their music belong to any country?
    Many Americans, Canadians, and Australians (especially in the 60s and 70s) were of British heritage, it seems all very arbitrary to
    draw a bunch of lines. Young people heard music they liked, picked up instruments and formed groups,
    and the music went all around the world.

Blank Frank and Big Blue like this.
  20. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

TIL a lot of people have no idea what AC/DC sounds like.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

22. garumph

garumph Forum Resident

The other question to consider is the state of the Australian rock scene in the early '70s. Blues boogie was the big trend and bands were looking for something to stand out from the crowd. Either being earbleedingly loud like the Aztecs, aggressive proto-punk like Lobby Loyde & The Coloured Balls, striving for "authenticity" like Chain or stirring in prog jamming like Carson and Madder Lake. AC/DC were really one among a pack, just they managed to transcend their peers.

Also, the Young family were pretty much Rock Royalty by then (Easybeats were the first Aussie band to find popular overseas and thus lauded as the "local Beatles"), so anything they did was going to be noticed by the local press.

This later Easybeats single definitely has the early AC/DC vibe.

23. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I don't think Chuck Berry had a "crunchy" guitar sound.

To me it was more like an "a-ringing a bell" sound.

:winkgrin:

24. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

Stevie Wright, the singer of the Easybeats. Tell me who this sounds like.

notesfrom, finslaw, blutiga and 3 others like this.
  25. MartyGabriel

MartyGabriel Jaded Realist.

No they didn't. "Mama Weer All Crazee Now" was a sizable hit in the US. I remember Slayed? being all over the place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.