Why disdain for "Let It Be... Naked?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Jul 11, 2014.

1. slane

slane Forum Resident

It's on Spector's mix too, except John (low harmony) is mixed down a bit more. LIBN uses the same part there.

2. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I agree. I can see that the noise reduction will rub some forum members the wrong way and, okay, the cover art is no classic, and, yeah, the still-looped I Me Mine is pointless (ditto the loop on the Anthology 3 While My Guitar Gently Weeps! hey George! why the love for those stupid loops?!). But, crucially, and more importantly, the song selection is superior and the polish is welcome.

I also agree that Lennon's remarks on the original LIB are really just asininity masquerading as high spirits, but Lennon was in a bad place in January 1969 and we'll forgive him the lapse. It bears remembering, though: Lennon's famous quote on the album probably owes a little to the fact (okay, okay, the opinion) that this album was Lennon's weakest contribution to the Beatles. I'm happy to have Don't Let Me Down, too, and would have been even better pleased to also have The Ballad of John & Yoko, which was always one of my favorite late-Beatle Lennon tracks. In any case, with what we got with LIBN, it was an improvement on Dig It and Maggie Mae.

streetlegal likes this.
  3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Did this release have the dreaded Copy Control? That would have made it unpopular around here :)

4. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I missed all the banter...particularly Lennon's. The song fade outs bothered me as well...

alchemy likes this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Let It Be...Naked blows Let It Be away. It's not revisionism, because it's not replacing Let It Be.

saborlord123 and Tone_Boss like this.
  6. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Me too.

Also, the tacky tack piano on the LIBN version of For You Blue drives me nuts...

Huck Caton likes this.
  7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I love LIBN.

8. Yes, it's bothersome but on the plus side I prefer the edits and some of the choices of takes . i a
    So disliked ones the overdubbing from Spector of the orchestra and choir for the most part.

9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Doesn't bother me. I like both versions and glad they are available. It isn't like they replaced John Lennon with Hayden Christiansen and then put the original Let It Be out of print.

10. It's two different takes edited together from the roof top concert as I recall.

11. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

LIBN was supposed to be the soundtrack to the DVD, right?

I love it -- hope there's more to come.

12. dotwacky

dotwacky Forum Resident

You mean the vocal part right before the guitar solo, right?

Do you have a link to that thread by any chance? I can't find it. I specifically searched the words "Beatles thread," too. ; )

13. Kim Olesen

Ofcourse they aren't. We all hear things differently. I think it sounds good. Am i stupid and deaf?

14. Kim Olesen

Is that hard info or just speculation?

15. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Yep, I also love the 3 part harmony of Don't Let Me Down. THAT ALONE makes this a terrific album, better than the original.

I guess I've heard Phil and his gloppy strings on TLAWR just one too many times........

Cracklebarrel and DeYoung like this.
  16. slane

slane Forum Resident

Actually, you may be right about that part :cool:. I was thinking about the last middle eight (Spector uses part of the first middle eight there, on '.....too.........because.....drum fill.....'). I'll have to listen again to that second middle.

17. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I love the original and LIBN. Both sound great and both feature my favorite mixes of "Across The Universe". The original extended and enhanced Spector rendition of "I Me Mine" is eons better than the lifeless, naked version which mimics Spector's extending edit.

18. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

The material is awesome, but the quality sounds like it was heavily struck with some NR tool.

19. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I thought the title was odd, the artwork too... but happily purchased it when it came out.

I haven't spent time dissing the album - but I did kind of wonder "why?" it exists at all after someone pointed out that many of the same songs reworked for "Let It Be... Naked" were also reworked for the last Anthology set.

I've listened to the individual tracks from Anthology-3 next to their cousins on LIBN, and I think I preferred the ANT-3 version better every time.

I played it happily for a few weeks when it came out - but haven't spent much time listening to it since.

No regrets that it was released - but I'd rather listen to the original album or ANT-3 if I was in a (rare) mood to play tracks from that period.

20. dotwacky

dotwacky Forum Resident

I'm still not sure whether it was auto-tuned or flown in from another take (they certainly had many to choose from, I guess).

21. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I don't have time right now to read through all five pages of threads, so if I repeat something, sorry. Generally I like the mix, but a little less happy it is Edit Be.

1. Missed opportunity to pull a Beach Boy Smile and release it as "Get Back" with a remix/remaster as much as possible knowing that Spector erased some tracks. This would have included Maggie May and a full version of "Dig it". It would have also been packaged with the original Get Back cover. McCartney would have got his clean album, and fans could have closed a chapter as Beach Boy fans did with Smile. I would be okay with flying in separate tracks from other songs if erased by Spector (except Lennon's bass:hide:).

2. Yes, Don't let Me Down belongs, and so the the coda on Get Back.

3. This LP was generally filmed live. Why no dvd? It doesn't have to be "the movie". Give us the damn performances! I have a stereo version of the live tracks and though the video was likely derived from a VHS copy of the movie along with Anthology clips-I play it constantly. I could care less about the movie. This DVD did a good reverse sync edit for I Me Mine and Across the Universe).

4. Fly on the Wall WTF???? Someone could find Beatles A-B Road (if this was done before the nagra tapes recovery), and master 10-20 complete songs with the then state of the art equipment. There are interesting bits in there, but official "Twickenham" performances would have been interesting- Gone Gone Gone, Suzy Parker, ATMP, Oh Darling, Eddie, Black Dog blues, etc.

22. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Love them both!

23. GlassOnion

GlassOnion Well-Known Member

Unlike Paul McCartney and others,i have no problem with the strings or whatever else was added to the Let It Be album.I like all the songs on there a lot.Well most of them,i don't care for the short snippets of dig it and maggie mae,but love the album. I play the cd a lot.One of my favorites> I also like the Let it Be.....Naked album too. Sometimes im in the mood naked sometimes im in the mood to just,,let it be.

24. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

yes ! not all copy's though!

25. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

No, but I never implied that anyone who likes it is stupid and deaf.