Why do records sound better ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrocker, Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

This is probably an odd idea... but I often feel; think I feel that recordings made in the "analog age" are best listen to; sound best on vinyl and with many many exceptions... particularly audiophile productions, recordings made in the "digital are" are best digested in a digital format. Maybe the idea is akin to a feeling of in and of their own time. I guess the logical or illogical expression of that would be 78s should only be played through gramophones. Logical or illogical... not particularly practical.

Of course in all cases; with all formats you want the best playback equipment which can be comfortably afforded to produce the best sonic experience. And maybe even a bit better then what cam be afforded... although I wouldn't suggest going into hock or selling your house.

mercuryvenus likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

they don't...wishful thinking. Both the LP & CD can sound wonderful...but, a straight out lie that the LP sounds better is Bu******

h46e55x, Jackson and frightwigwam like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indubitably! but they loving saying it! ha ha ..

Rne likes this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Why do records sound better...after I've smoked a spliff ?
    It's the stangest thing. Happens every time.

5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

And very few people actually read the article.

Not really surprised.

6. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Oh gosh...

7. AnalogueAndy

AnalogueAndy Forum Resident

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude . . . like, yah man!!!

8. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Better than what? Live music? Yeah, I prefer recorded music too. :D

9. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Ask Steve Hoffman....he makes them sound good.

10. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

They don't on a purely technical level. It's the fact that analog mediums have the potential to have a quality that digital mediums usually don't for whatever reason. That being said, both mediums also have the ability to sound like the other one. What really matters is the mastering, regardless of the medium. At least that's my two cents.

frightwigwam likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I like the nostalgia of records, I prefer the sound of well made cd's, by quite a margin really

frightwigwam likes this.
  12. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

No, digital has the potential for greater dynamic range, and the mechanical process of cutting records will introduce degradation/distortion of the sound.

If a vinyl record sounds better than its digital version, it's probably mostly a difference in mastering, and partly a reflection of personal preference for vinyl aesthetics. A properly mastered CD/SACD/FLAC should provide a cleaner, more accurate representation of the original recording.

13. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

For me,

I think most LPs sound better to much better. Analog sound 'Feels' better to my soul. 'Feeling'. Analog sounds more natural. A continuous sine wave. Maybe not as 'accurate' as CDs... but much more warm and natural - lifelike.

I've read and understand that LPs are mastered differently than CDs for many reasons. Research that.

Some LPs 'sound and feel' simply outrageous. Some CDs sound outstanding but void of 'something'. But there is a big difference in sound to me.

Analog sound is Natural. I can listen to analog all night long, 6 hrs - 8 hrs... no problem. After 2 or 3 max CDs... I'm mentally cooked - finished listening to digital - Done. But then I can put on an LP & all is fine again. I'm just speaking for myself.

I do have more CDs than LPs. I was 'born into' analog LPs.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Crimson Witch and mercuryvenus like this.
  14. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Could someone recommend some ceedees they prefer to their corresponding vinyl? (including remasters)
    (or point me to a thread specifically discussing such)

15. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

They
    I think you're listening to the right records, and the wrong CDs, add in any inherent bias and there's your mental fatigue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.