Why do so many classical LP's sound dull and muddy?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 12" 45rpm, Jan 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Has anyone ever heard any classical recordings under the Nimbus "Natural Sound" label?

Accompanying literature contained within a CD of Mozart Violin Concertos No 4 & 5 was very convincing of the advantages of the recording technique...one that used a signal stereo microphone for "single point source", such as would be the case of seated listener at a live concert. Reviewers gave it all kinds of accolades as well.

Could barely wait for the track to begin just after I loaded the disc into the player expecting what was sure to be a mesmerizing listening experience, right? Just the opposite. Dead, limp, lifeless and utterly uninvolving. Did it sound very similar to a live performance? Well...yes... IF you had the crummiest seats in the house!

Sorry but if this is one's idea enjoyable music reproduction they're welcome to it. I've been to many concerts where I'd just assume listen to my hi fi. The experience of a live performance cannot be beat - but it's due to other reasons, ie: the spectacle, the audience, watching the musicians ply their talents. All that is taken to whole other level with opera. But as far as so-called "accuracy" is concerned (50 rows back) is something that is way overrated in my book.

2. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Alcohol for sure is for reducing the surface tension of the water, so it gets down to the bottom of the grooves.

Pretty sure the soap is for ionic bonding with dust and dirt molecules. But whaddoo I know, I'm just a ******* violist!

3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

This is an exemplary remote-microphone orchestra recording. Recorded digitally in 1981 with Ambisonic/UHJ 2-channel system.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    OC Zed and Lowrider75 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.