Why Does Good Remote Control Design Elude so Many Companies?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Helom, Jul 15, 2022.

1. zenith2134

zenith2134 Well-Known Member

The remote that came with my 1980 Sony KV-1945R Trinitron TV means business. It has actual metal on it, can you imagine (lol) and despite years of use, still works and looks new. Right when IR remotes were becoming the standard for TVs. Still had brands using ultrasonic until about '82.

McLover likes this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Which reminds me...here's a podcast where the moderator mentions having a Roku quarterly report, where they are actually bemoaning a loss of earnings over "button revenue"! :laugh:

3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Agree with those thoughts. Also the remark - I think it's just very lazy design, and absence of real world testing

PS I get multi-quoting all screwed up, it was jfeldt who made one of those remarks

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  4. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

I like the remote for my Belles Aria Integrated amp. Only 6 buttons: power, volume, mute, input, monitor which changes it from speaker to headphone.

5. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

This! I bought a Rogue RP-5 preamp and I love the remote. It sounds great too and I don’t think the volume control degrades the sound at all.

I have a nice Rotel pre-amp as a back up and I never was able to master the remote. It always overshoots my needs. I have a Marantz integrated amp in a secondary system and the remote is better, but it is coarse compared to my Rogue. Rogue nailed it!

Dafox and Ntotrar like this.
  6. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I always thought the same thing about the open and close button on a CD remote. But now that my player has one I almost always hit the open drawer as I’m walking over to change the cd/sacd. It speeds things up by a couple of seconds. :)

COBill and Big Blue like this.
  7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Could not agree more. They used to be so nicely designed during the 80s and 90s. Now they're just an afterthought.

Helom likes this.
  8. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

I'm 100 percent with Darko on this around 51 seconds in:

My ideal is an actual physical volume knob AT my listening position, for volume - preferably nice looking with a good tactile feel. Problem is such a device pretty much doesn't exist that would learn the IR codes for my preamp(s). So I'm having one custom built.

Helom and Big Blue like this.
  9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

That, plus I’d rather use the button on the remote than constantly put my oily fingers on the front panel of my disc players.

Sneaky Pete, Tim 2 and Ntotrar like this.
  10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Stop manipulating your controls while making fried chicken.

Big Blue likes this.
  11. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

I have to say my least favorite high-end remote is Dan D'Agostino's.

[​IMG]

Tony C. and Helom like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and considering many units cannot function properly without the remote...

Helom and Tim 2 like this.
  13. MattHooper

These remotes comprised of a billion teeny buttons are abominations.

I was at friend's house, operating a Hegel preamp and the remote was a dark brick comprised of tons of teeny, identical buttons in indistinguishable rows, with inscrutable labels. Truly atrocious. I became having visions of water torture just using it.

14. RonN5

RonN5 Forum Resident

How about a remote with a better seal for the battery compartment so the batteries don’t corrode?

Clonesteak likes this.
  15. MattHooper

I'm convinced some of these posts are pulling our leg.

That's an ergonomic nightmare, right there!

16. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Most corrosion is due to leakage from inside the battery, usually caused by a buildup of gas. Sometimes happens when you have multiple batteries that have a different charge, so one discharges into the other. Sealing the compartment may even make it worse. But it is a real problem, that's for sure.

COBill, Helom and MGW like this.
  17. MattHooper

This is close to the remote control of my dreams, just for my stereo system:

Remote control - Steinway Lyngdorf - The World's finest audio systems

Nice side, luxurious smoothly operating dial for volume, and some basic hard buttons. I'd feel like a king operating it :)

I actually got in touch with Steinway to see if I could purchase one and program it for my system, but of course they won't sell it without...you know...spending
    the extra $100,000 for the whole system...

Unboxing here:

Helom likes this.
  18. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I have never, ever had this happen in a remote control. Am I just lucky?

19. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

One possible reason for the open/close button on the remote is as a reset button. You open and then close the drawer to reset the player, clearing all of the non-default settings (such as programming and play mode).

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  20. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I have to say Samsung TV remotes suck! The buttons are so darn small and more buttons that are really needed for my liking.
    I really do like my Yamaha amp remotes. Simple

Helom likes this.
  21. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

From what I understand, all batteries will corrode if left unused in a remote control, or any device, for an extended period of time. That is why if you're not going to use a device for a while you should remove the batteries. I think that part of the reason is that even though the device is not being used the chemical reactions in the batteries are still going on.

Although it might sound a little silly here, but in an episode of Gilligan's Island the batteries in their radio had died. They had a spare set of batteries and put them in the radio but they were dead. The Professor made a point that the batteries will eventually die even if not used. Later, they developed a way to charge the batteries using first a bicycle-like machine after another methods involving metal rods and a liquid.

Dafox, RonN5 and Big Blue like this.
  22. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

The Pioneer laserdisc remote design circa 1990-whatever totally rules. Common to many of their models, like my CLD-D604. It’s very power efficient, I think I’ve changed the batteries once in the ~8 or so years I’ve owned it. Its chunky like many remotes of that era, but it feels great in the hand. The jog dial feels nice and has a good springy snap to it. The buttons are always responsive - only trouble I ever have is if I eject a disc and the open tray physically blocks the IR receiver, then I have to contort myself and point in weird positions. It’s a good remote.
    I’ll have to take care of it, as I understand some of those original Pioneer remotes are getting pretty pricey these days and in some cases can cost more than the actual player.

I can’t comment on any remotes for stereo equipment. The only stereo I ever had with a remote was the Sony mini-hifi with 51 CD changer/dual cassette deck, that I got at The Wiz 23 years ago. And even then it was an open-box model that never even had the remote.

23. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

The Samsung TV remote that we have (Bluetooth) is the most minimalist affair ever! Very few buttons, completely intuitive, the complete opposite of what you describe!

24. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

Incredibly.

I always used to wait until the batteries stopped working in a remote to replace them, but after having to clean multiple remotes I now put a date on a calendar and check all my remotes once per year unless I have to replace the batteries more often than that.

Worse, for years I used to put my battery-containing Hallmark Christmas ornaments away after the season with the batteries still in them.

It was not an issue for decades, but in the past few years any ornament I forgot to remove the batteries from in January would be guaranteed to have badly leaking coin cells the following November.

Big Blue likes this.
  25. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident

You'd probably like the remote that comes with the Devialet Expert models then. Fantastic volume control imho.
    [​IMG]