Why does Ian Anderson keep singing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I truly never noticed any decline in Ian Anderson's singing voice. True, I haven't bought all Jethro Tull's later albums but I have Anderson's solo records. I haven't seen him or Jethro Tull live, either ...

2. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

Let´s be fair with the man. He turned 67 YESTERDAY and is still a very active musician.

squittolo likes this.
  3. on7green

on7green Senior Patron

I saw him in 2013. He looked in good shape and his voice sounded OK to me (flute too). Filled Massey Hall in Toronto.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It was a new day yesterday, but it's old day now .....

5. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

The real question is why do people keep buying tickets? If they want to see him that's their choice, they're fans. Truth is they would pay to just see him and talk with him. Ian could show up and do two hours of Q&A and it would be really interesting to his fans. Same goes for all other musicians. Fans, it's about the fans.

squittolo likes this.
  6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The kid was annoying, and Ian looked like a putz stepping aside to let him sing.

He's not slated to be on the upcoming tour.

squittolo and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Probably because he couldn't get the job as a greeter at Wal-Mart.

squittolo likes this.
  8. Forklifter

Forklifter Forum Resident

To see Ian Anderson play and sing is seeing a bit of history and a chance to see live one of the most creative and original individuals produced in Rock music....so what if his voice cracks now and then.

9. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

That was painful to watch on several levels. My last Tull show was 2005. I probably should have called it quits in the mid 90's. The bar just gets lowered every tour and remarkably there are punters to go see Ian. I wondered about the large crowd and then realized it was a festival. Glad I never bought into the Ryan thing.

squittolo and Chrisaw like this.
  10. PC31

PC31 Forum Resident

Live in Iceland 2012

squittolo and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Anderson continues to sing because it is the perfect accompaniment to his "intepretive dancing".

That and the fact there is only so much flute-playing in a rock context that anyone can tolerate before they rush the stage with murder in their hearts...

D.D.

squittolo, joepepitone and patrickd like this.
  12. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

From the clip that I could play in this thread (Isle of Wight) it wasn't all that bad. Or painful.

squittolo and TonyR like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Age doesn't do that to a voice - smoking does.

squittolo likes this.
  14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

He was under 40 when his vocal problems began-- on the Under Wraps tour, the rest is well documented.

squittolo likes this.
  15. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Why does Ian Anderson keep singing?
    Oh, my, my, my, oh, my, my, my. Already answered;>)
    Singing my song, feeling so lonely,
    I'll sing very softly, so if the phone rings
    I can hear it, I can hear it.

Singing all day, singing 'bout nothing,

squittolo likes this.
  16. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

That was one of the levels I was talking about. When he starts pacing the stage whilst playing the flute, I just want to take a running jump.

squittolo likes this.
  17. brunofaetten

brunofaetten Forum Resident

I think I've likened Ian's current singing to someone passing a kidney stone elsewhere, and I stand by that. "Painful" is the most common descriptor, and it's apt, because if you have any music in you at all, you feel Ian's pain; straining his whole body to grab those elusive notes. The fact that he still goes out there exposing himself, standing on one shaky leg fluting away, while his backup band seem to have mugged Clive Bunker for his old stage clothes, is bound to stir emotions for better or worse. There's quite a bit of heroism involved, along with some resignation. That quote earlier about his voice "slowly exiting the stage" sounds very him, as he's been play-wrestling with his rock star identity since early on, and the "old rocker" myth is now playing out in a very real way. Not for him the Olympian excesses of Zeppelin, or the self-destruction of the Morrison-Cobain poet-martyr. His struggle is grander still, as he battles vainly but valiantly with time itself.:wantsome: And sells tickets for it. :D

squittolo, Phil147 and GodShifter like this.
  18. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

But he was born in 1947 so he wasn't yet 40 in 1984, he did turn 40 in 1987.

squittolo likes this.
  19. Yes some people can't stand the flute. Mozart himself wasn't wild about it. And I think even Ian ain't so crazy about it either...

Me I like it a lot, in any old context. And IA improved hugely as a player (not so much as an improviser though...) with the years. A little while before the Divinities project, he relearned his technique thoroughly (proper fingerings), which at the age he was then and given his accumulated experience, was quite commendable I think.

squittolo, Runicen and Diamond Dog like this.
  20. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

For the same reason that at the age of 74 I still keep teaching. It's what he does. It's what I do.

squittolo, showtaper, pdenny and 2 others like this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

good for him...if ppl pay to see him then more power to him....there are far worse croakers out there refusing to give up...power to the people behind the microphone.

CCrider92 and squittolo like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL...I was going to write that as well...

squittolo likes this.
  23. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

money

squittolo likes this.
  24. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I read once that one of several reasons Dave Pegg left Jethro Tull was that he found it embarrassing being in a band with such a terrible singer (this was in the mid-90s).

I've heard many reasons given for Ian's determination to stay on the road. Perhaps the least convincing was that he wants to provide his band members with a means of paying their mortgages.

It could be that he had some Scots Calvinist work ethic drilled into him when he was young (listen to 'Son' for an example of what I mean) and it's something he can't/doesn't want to shake.

squittolo likes this.
  25. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

True, Anderson's voice is no where near what it used to be and I'm guessing some ego is involved (you don't get that far in the music business without a strong ego) but I'm guessing the main reason IA still sings is because he likes to and no one would want to hear Tull with a different vocalist and no one is forcing anyone to go hear him. I saw Tull at the Oakland Coliseum in the mid 70's and Ian sounded GREAT! If I were to see Tull today would I want to hear another singer? No way! Pretty much no one plays or sings as well at 70 as they do in their late 20's-- that's to be expected. I'm just super glad he's still out there doing it!

CCrider92 and squittolo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.