Why does some cartoons look so "blurry" on LED TVs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiodrome, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

I just finally got rid of my wonderful Samsung 32" CRT TV and "upgraded" to a Samsung 40" LED TV. The picture quality on the CRT TV was excellent but it was heavy and using a lot of electricity (plus my daughter wanted to get Netflix).

Our family watches a lot of Spongebob so we're used to what it looks like (at least on a CRT TV) and I couldn't help but notice that in general the picture looked kind of blurry on the new LED TV. Now I don't know if "blurry" is the right word but the black outlines were not very solid or distinctive and on closer inspection there seemed to be white streaks moving throughout black lines making the outline definition much less pronounced than on the CRT TV. There was also some noticeable pixelation in the solid colored areas surrounding the black outlines, similar to a low resolution picture or graphic. Is this normal or is this vary from cartoon to cartoon?

2. sugarbuzz

sugarbuzz Forum Resident

Are you watching from DVD or from broadcast TV? I know when I first upgraded from a CRT to a flat screen everything on cable looked crappy (except for the few high-def channels I could get).
    Some of it may come down to properly calibrating your new TV. And a lot depends on the original source - check out some of the remastered Disney DVDs if you want to see some great looking animation.

chilinvilin likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Standard def or HD? Cable or satellite? Or DVD or Blu-ray?

What I see from standard-def DVDs played back on a Blu-ray player look fine, but I'm using the player to do the up-rezzing (to 1080) rather than the TV set. It's a good question as to which looks better -- the TV or the player -- but the reality is that a modern set can't do standard-def very well. When you up-rez the material to HD, then you have a chance it'll look OK, but there are inevitably artifacts depending on how well (or badly) the up-rezzing is done.

4. audiodrome

I think it's just a matter of getting used to now being able to see the differences between source quality which I hadn't really noticed with my old CRT TV.

5. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Must be looking at standard def which would look better on the old CRT. Have you upgraded to HD cable?

6. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

7. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

It's amazing that any professional working on the "cleaned up" version would actually think that what they were doing was improving the image, though I guess that just as with music some people are more obsessed with noise and they'd rather scrub the life out of something to make it look and/or sound clean, not noticing that along with the noise they're removing a lot of wanted detail.

Vidiot and minerwerks like this.
  8. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

That review mentions that neither blu ray looks as good as the Hal Roach Studios / Image DVD. Has anyone here seen that DVD and can comment on it?

Derek

9. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Wow what a difference.

10. subzro

subzro Forum Resident

Not sure if this will help in this particular case, but since it's a Samsung, it's important to turn Auto Motion Plus completely off, or at most set to 'clear'. The motion interpolation causes more problems than it pretends to solve.

Vidiot likes this.
  11. audiodrome

Yes we have Xfinity HD Cable.

12. Dee Zee

I would call your cable provider and have them come out and check your system and settings.

13. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

HDTV looks just fine on my desktop LCD display, so you can get a good picture on an LCD/LED set. Nickelodeon is certainly available in HD, make sure you're watching the HD channel and not the SD channel. The HD channels are usually numbered much higher, like "Channel 10" for SD and "Channel 510" for HD.

14. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

Keep in mind too, that Spongebob was an SD show for most of its life (all the way to 2009, it looks like), so whatever Nick is running from those years is surely just upscaled. Could just be that they don't do a very good job of it.

Kuzronk and Vidiot like this.
  15. Dee Zee

Video on 60-inch LED looks very sharp if it's a good HD source.

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Maybe your new tv is so much better it's showing the flaws in the broadcast. Honestly, I've ALWAYS found that the one thing that looks good in HD is cartoons! They really pop.

17. Cartoons originally animated and stuck in SD resolution look fairly terrible on modern Hi-Def displays.

18. Kuzronk

Kuzronk Well-Known Member

The first season is also fairly outdated animation wise as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.