Why does the Dave Clark Five continue to be overlooked?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Jun 13, 2021.

1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

My pleasure to make a forum member happy.

2. I'm gonna expand a little bit about my relationship between the Beatles and myself. I'd always been into music since the age of 3, so it seemed a natural path to chose as a career. Of course that was never to be cuz my choice of music style didn't figure in with my parents plans. To make a long story short. My background was uncertain, often violent, and majorly disfunctional. So when the Beatles came along...they were my salvation (figure that one out). They are the ones that raised me. They gave me a sense of moral right and wrong. They taught me everything that my parents didn't. And later on in their career, they taught me love and peace. So I worshiped them, or should I say the spirit of them, and in a real sense...do to this very day. They were with me when everyone else was gone or dead and gone. I'm 73, retired, and did OK for myself. Had I not had the Beatles I'd be dead, or in jail I'm certain. So there you have it. Another reason the British Invasion was so important to me. It spoke to me in ways that our North American music didn't. Hallelujah!

Usagi75 likes this.
  3. Yes stereo was...no doubt, but, when we're naieve and don't know any better...mono was just fine. Just sayin' :)

4. Just checked, and you are correcto-mondo. I remember it as a red cover...but that's trivial. When I look at the song titles I realize I have all of them on this 7 cd bootleg except for 2. I about fainted at the $175 cost. Too much for 2 songs. As much as I loved them, my pocket isn't that deep. But hey...you're the man today! You've solved an almost 30 yr puzzle for me.

5. I've never been able to figure out what happened to Dave Clark's face? It has to be a botched plastic surgery procedure, or many of them. I've studied his new face, and I can't find a feature that resembles the old Dave? He still looked like himself when he was chumming around with Freddie Mercury. In a sick twisted way it reminds me of the Mephisto story, only with a twist? Sorry, maybe it's just me.

Michael likes this.
  6. stereoguy

7. stereoguy

Wonderful story. 60s music has pulled me out of many a depression and made me myself again, so I know what you mean.

8. I say this respectfully, and I'm not gunning for trouble or a response. I don't like Peter Noone or the original Hermits. To a 17 yr old they were bubble gum music catering to a whole audience that adored them. I/we/some of us just weren't. OH one exception. Love their version of Jezebel.

9. You are so much more observant than me, and I guess that's the drummer in you. I can't compare like you, and more power to you. I only know what I saw from 2 shows. He was as good as most drummers around. No Ginger Baker or Keith Moon, but adequate. He had that signature rat-a-tat drum roll. And when they did Anyway You Want It...his kit looked like it was going to fall apart. He was 'jack hammering it'. Way way cool!

jeremylr likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

IIRC, he had some health problems? maybe someone else on the forum can provide some insight...

11. Whoah...you know more than me. Still I have trouble raising an ounce of empathy or care for him, regardless of his health woes. It looks good on him. Hows that for sour grapes?

12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The Hermits were a much better band than people give them credit for. While they also had studio musicians on their sessions, (Jimmy Page who was a paid studio musician at the time and was prominent on some Hermits records), for the most part the band did play on their records and were a fun live band.

Besides the hits, they had some really excellent album tracks. This is a Hermits track that is a favorite of mine. Far removed from “bubblegum”.

13. I'm gonna confess something to you. If you read the breakup story of Hermans Hermits and how they divided up, and the bitterness and harsh feelings. Peter comes across as a spoiled imature brat. BUT I gained respect for that band...but NOT the Hermits that went with Noone. He came and comes across as bitter and petty. So I confess. I liked the sound of the new Hermits, but I still wouldn't buy a record of them...either band. They just aren't me. To much like "yummy yummy yummy I got love in my tummy type stuff. Oh I get such a bad 'rush' off of just saying that. Must go wash my mouth out.

14. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

i loved the dc5. i remember like it was yesterday when my pop was at columbia/epic in '64 and he brought home their first long players.

bits n pieces 'n glad all over. heck, i'll even listen to "i said a wontcha come over an a talk to me, and be my girl" ( whatever that song was called - this dance is gonna be a drag?! ) whatever...

add: the hermits were the "worst" of the merseybeat brit invasion as I remember boss radio from the time.

mrs brown? nah. but i'm leaning on a lamppost on the corner of the street in case.. doubleplus nah.

15. But that was kinda the way it was. Everybody sort of played with everyone. Not always mentioned on the record sleeve, but contributed never the less...ie Eric Clapton on While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Just got turned onto a new hard rock band made up of famous members of other bands. Check out the Hollywood Vampires. I have a new found respect for Depp. I had no idea how good a musician he is. Alice Cooper and Joe Perry are there plus other well knowns. Ooh-la-la! Check em out on You Tube.

16. stereoguy

Thats "Over and Over", their #1 hit.

rkt88 likes this.
  17. I get chills talking bout this stuff. So many memories...good and bad.

rkt88 likes this.
  18. Your knowledge...you amaze me. Right on!

rkt88 likes this.
  19. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

yes props to @stereoguy i cant recall obscure titles. but can sing those songs note for note and *mostly* word for word ( if i hear 'em )

I just remembered a herman's song i rather enjoyed. "kind of a hush". i mean it was not bad ha. i like the refrain mostly.

doesn't give me "chills" but not much does these days

20. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Clark, the drummer, was the front man and main writer, but most of the hits were sung by Smith. I think this format is confusing for the fans. They needed a more lyrical name and for Clark to take a back seat Smith, publicly. Their singles didn't seem to drive album sales, which could mean that parents were buying Dave Clark singles because they didn't want their children to listen to the Rolling Stones or other groups deemed inapproriate.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  21. You have such an in depth knowledge of these guys, I'm going to venture a question? In the beginning the DC5 wore something that looked like a turtle neck shirt with 3 or 4 buttons down the side. To this day I don't know if it was a 'knit' or an actual shirt. Been trying to find it or anything about it since 1964 to no avail. Do you or anyone know anything about this. I was always a big fan of their boots too. They sported slightly higher heels than the Beatle boot. However you can get a custom made pair for about $500 from Anello Davide.

22. Yeah OK...I reluctantly admit to like "Kind Of A Hush". So that makes 2 songs they did I liked. Jezebel for me is still better, but that's just me.

rkt88 likes this.
  23. stereoguy

I know the shirt you mean, but I really have no idea about what it was. I'd imagine it was a custom made shirt that Dave had made for the guys. Dave was all about presentation and marketing. He was ahead of his time with that.

24. But Clark wasn't a main writer. That's all rubbish. He just stuck his name on everything they did to gain some of the credit. The guy gives me the creeps. Too bad cuz the rest of he band were fantastic.,

czeskleba likes this.
  25. stereoguy

I dont think I'd agree with your comment about their singles not driving album sales. The DC5 sold a BOATLOAD of albums for EPIC and every album had a lead single.

Shak Cohen likes this.