Why does the Dave Clark Five continue to be overlooked?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Hey, you’re the one who originally said these specific bands ‘didn’t’ used session musicians, not me. You’re back-peddling now.

sbsugar likes this.
  2. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

I don't know about Billy Preston, but I'm pretty sure Clapton wasn't paid for his work with the Beatles...rendering him more of a guest than session musician...

czeskleba likes this.
  3. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Yes, he felt by keeping the masters off the market, demand would build linearity. It didn't quite work out that way, by the time the DC5 made it to CD in 1994, most fans had bought the European CDs .

4. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Why are there not more threads on Herman's Hermits

riskylogic likes this.
  5. stereoguy

That's nothing. Dusty and Buddy Rich really got into it over a shared nightclub stint.

6. stereoguy

Great question.

7. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

The same reason that there are not more threads on Alvin and the Chipmunks. They had their brief fling at fame in the early to mid 60's, sold a ton of records at the time and then were forgotten in favor of the next novelty act.

8. FredV

FredV Senior Member

9. a customer

They couldn't be as important as DC5
    When I think of the greatness of DC5 I realize how lame Herman's Hermits were.

You should list all your favorite Alvin and Chipmunks hits

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  10. PossiblyIndecisive

PossiblyIndecisive Forum Resident

Time has a way for filtering out the forgettable stuff.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  11. George couldn’t have been paid (at least under the ‘normal’ ways musicians are paid) as he was under contract to a different label - if he was credited he would have been in violation of that contract.

12. TwentySmallCigars

The list is identical to all my favorite Herman's Hermits hits.

13. PossiblyIndecisive

PossiblyIndecisive Forum Resident

I don't know much about them, but I have read that there was a brief period during the British Invasion (very brief), when they were actually considered to be bigger than the Beatles?

14. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

But Mrs Brown had a very lovely daughter. That seems to override all your other arguments.

15. a customer

You still haven't listed your favorite Alvin and the Chipmunks songs or the similar Hermits songs compared to all your DC5 hits

16. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Billboard #33 in 1959

a customer likes this.
  17. TwentySmallCigars

For the record, I'm not a huge Dave Clark Five fan, either. I really only know the song 'Glad All Over'.

The post topic is 'why are they overlooked?'. I offered my opinion on that subject early on.

Your question was 'why aren't there more Herman's Hermits posts?'. I gave my opinion on that as well. They were a one-note novelty act that wore thin after a few listens.

Both acts (Alvin & Herman) sold a ton of records in a short period of time but (most) people tired of their respective gimmicks quickly and their music really doesn't merit any deep discussion.

18. TwentySmallCigars

Witch Doctor was #1 for 3 weeks in 1958.

19. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Just for Love Me Do on their first recording sessions. Ringo performed on the US version of Love Me Do which was certified platinum. Ringo was being auditioned by Martin after Martin rejected Pete Best. A session drummer wasn't brought in after that.

20. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Clapton and Harrison were close freinds and also collaborated on the song Badge for Cream. Clapton was more of a guest star, than a session musician.

21. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I’m not sure this is true, but Apparently he had silicone injections in his face, then went sunbathing in the Mediterranean on his yacht. The silicone melted and his face couldn’t be restored.

jeremylr likes this.
  22. a customer

I'm into something good
    Can't you hear my heartbeat
    Mrs brown
    Silhouettes
    Henry the VIII
    A must to avoid
    No milk today
    There's a kind of hush

Just going by memory

23. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Herman's Hermits had hits on both sides of the Atlantic from 64-69 - the duration of most sixties chart acts. As to their music, calling them a one note act is ludicrous, most of their singles are top draw pop, written by some of the best songwriters of the era. The two novelty songs to which I assume you refer were not issued as singles in the U.K. and were untypical of the group.

24. TwentySmallCigars

The same can be said of The Archies.

25. TwentySmallCigars

I've only heard three of those songs. Four, if you count 'There's a Kind of Hush' but I've only heard the Carpenters version.

Isn't this a Dave Clark thread?