Why does the piano 'pump' on After the Goldrush?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Damián, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Hi everyone

I was spinning my local LP copy (original pressing) of After the Goldrush and noticed that on After the Goldrush (the song), the piano on the right channel pumps rather distractingly.

Or rather, not the piano itself, but the hiss comes and goes when the piano plays, as if some kind of primitive NR was used on it.

I'm curious. Does anyone know why this is?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Really sounds like an azimuth problem with a very poor tape copy (combination of terrible handling, 5th generation tape or even an old 3 3/4 IPS RTR copy). If it's noise reduction, it's because they're using a Reprise LP to make an LP, or something very shady. Bootleg quality comes to mind.

In certain countries, including your's, simple practices of getting LP's, tapes and sometimes CDs duplicated can be poorly handled. No offense to you Damian. I'm listening to a fairly average US Reprise LP from the late 70's, and there's not a trace of what you're explaining. After The Gold Rush is a very dynamic, clean sounding record. Very little tape hiss should be heard. Even average US copies made by WB or Capitol should be fairly impressive alone.

Who made that record? What label?

3. Damián

No offense taken, Sckott. We have an impressive history of **** pressings.

The LP itself is an orange/tan label Reprise, although the distributor is of course not Reprise but a local distributor (which appears to be on more than 60% of the LPs I have, and they're not all like this one) called Music-Hall.

The pressing plant itself is Sicamericana (?), although I doubt that says much to you.

Probably just sourced from a lousy tape copy, 'cause it sounds all muffled and pinched.

Thanks!

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Give it a new life as a flying projectile on a sunny day. Just make sure Rover doesn't fetch it back to you. Toss hard. ;)

If I find a decent copy of the record in the next couple of months, I'll snarf it for you. They're almost as common as tomato soup around here.... especially in the big used stores.

5. Damián

Cool. I've already been offered the same thing by a fellow member, but let me know if you find one.. a man can never have enough LPs :D.

6. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

Look around of an original UK copy with slightly different edits on "Southern Man"
    Or
    The late 80's US edition with even slightly longer alternate edits on a few tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.