Why doesn't Rega make a DAC?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Sep 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident

Pretty cool with separate digital out's for the DAC and CD sections.
    [​IMG]

bhazen and Art K like this.
  2. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I have the Rega DAC (not the R version). I’ve had it since around late 2011, so I’m not sure if it’s the original or updated one.

I don’t think it’s a particularly good DAC, it makes everything warm and fuzzy, which = everything sounds the same. Not the last word in resolution/details, I prefer my McIntosh D100 way better.

TBH, there were better choices out there at the time, but the main reason I bought it was it aesthetically matched my Brio-R (which again the Brio-R is only okay sounding as well).

benzo likes this.
  3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

The more surprising thing in 2022 is, Rega doesn't produce a streamer. Of course, if you understand their ethos (analog sound and musicality über alles) it isn't surprising.

jusbe and Art K like this.
  4. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

No, I don't think I have to. To wit, making a CD player means working to a digital *standard* that is fixed and around which engineering can be progressively developed.

In contrast, today's digital often means software first, hardware later, and is tantamount to chasing your tail. Not all audio companies want to do that.

This is just a guess on my part, though, as I'm sure you know.

5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

+1

I believe Rega knows what they think they're particularly good at -- first tier: record players, amps. Second tier: everything else they make, including CD/DAC stuff. They'd never admit to this publicly, of course. But a between-the-lines reading of some of Roy Gandy's past interviews might lead you to the same conclusion I've arrived at.

I happen to value their CD decks and DACs very highly, however; the original Planet ... sigh. Maybe the best source I've ever owned.

jusbe likes this.
  6. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

I was referring to the very first model there were a number of revisions that I believe later resolved the issue.

I found it too warm and bass bloated. Some stuff just sounded horrible and slow, with bass guitar feeling behind the rhythm.

Later stereophile reviewed it and confirmed with measurements what I was hearing.

Rega DAC D/A processor Measurements

I moved off the Rega (and the Apollo) to a Linn DSM streamer and that’s what I’m still using 10 years on.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  7. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

I had read somewhere that Rega would be including a DAC in their integrated amps that were due an update. Not sure if that's reliable info though

8. Night Version

great idea, anything to justify their massively increased price points of late

9. fully_articulated

fully_articulated Forum Resident

That new Rega Saturn sure looks darn sexy. If I was in the market for a disc spinner, I doubt that I'd consider anything else.

On the Rega DAC, I owned an early gen 1 version as part of an all-Rega system for a couple of years and enjoyed it thoroughly... ...until I didn't. Upon the purchase of an Oppo 103D I decided to do a quick shootout between said Oppo, the Rega and the analog out from my Sony television.

The Oppo lost (due to a bit of harshness up top) but the Rega and Sony were indistinguishable, except that the Rega's bass was noticeably loose and flabby by comparison. It was replaced soon after.

louis_anthony and Night Version like this.
  10. StephenGR12

StephenGR12 Forum Resident

I keep forgetting to tell myself I'm listening to garbage.

sonnyrock and SirAngus like this.
  11. Night Version

if you have the first edition, you are

12. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Prices on just about anything goes up these days, welcome to reality.

13. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

They will on their forthcoming Elicit mk5.
    Perhaps they have a streamer surprise too ? not that I am in that market at all.

Noel Patterson likes this.
  14. StephenGR12

StephenGR12 Forum Resident

That's why it's almost never available on Audiogon or eBay when I look for Rega stuff. Nevertheless, I will try to give a closer listen this week vs same material through CDP's DAC.

15. Night Version

fair, but Rega prices have shifted towards the stratosphere. They used to blame UK currency conversion but that’s no longer as bad.
    As long as you don’t have the first edition you are fine. And you would have noticed it, the bloat is at 120hz. Some people liked it that way. Not sure they sold too many of these DACs but for awhile easy find for $400.

16. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

I disagree!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.