Why dont more people here like Phish?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatlelennon65, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

Do you guys just not like Phish or have you not heard them? If you have heard them and they really arent your bag, I can understand that, maybe. On the other hand, if you havent heard Phish, go listen to some! Go down to the freakin library and check out an album for free or borrow one from a friend. Crap man, you can even get them for free as Phish actively encourages fans to copy and distribute their live music! Seems that Strange Design and I are the only Phish fans around here. Too bad for you guys. :)

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I like Phish. I like the concerts I've downloaded from their site (and paid for it) I love Picture Of Nectar, Lawn Boy and Hoist.

I don't listen to them ALL the time, but I really enjoy their music, and their web site is neato too.

How could you assume that people around here don't like Phish?

3. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I've never heard them and I don't think I've ever seen anything by them for sale in the record stores.

All the best - Andrew

4. Sckott

You should be able to find Phish out there. Should be on Elektra/WEA UK. Maybe not as popular as here in the US, though...true.

5. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

Aashton- You should go to phishhook.com or one of the other Phish trading sites. You can pick up some shows for next to nothing. Remember, Phish encourages the trading of shows.

Sckott- It just seems like the last time I brought up Phish it got a small response and I have never seen anyone else bring them up, sooooo I just assumed that nobody here really cared for them. :)

6. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

You think i don't like Phish? :laugh:

-Jeffrey

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I've heard them and I don't like them. They are more energetic than the Dead. I'll give them that.
    I do like the one song that goes"The tires are the wheels that go on the road"...something like that.

8. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

I've been meaning to check them out. Where should I start?

9. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I'm curious to check out the live album where they play "The Beatles" (White Album) in it's entirety. They've also been known to play a complete set of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the moon.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I heard them and it wasn't my cuppa tea.

11. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

OK, now I know where to start. :)

12. Mike

Mike New Member

American Beauty. :D I watched them on Austin City Limits a few weeks ago and I just couldn't get into it - I didn't think the songs were memorable. I do want to hear them doing Quadrophenia. The way they play entire albums on Halloween - that is very cool!

13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Yeah, same here. I bought the "Billy Breaths" CD and just could not get into it no matter how hard I tried.
    A Phish fanatic friend of mine played another CD of theirs from a few years back and it downright annoyed the heck out of me.

I certainly appreciate their talent and the "we do our own thing" attitude, but as much as I want to like the music I just can't.

Go figure.

Dan C

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I'm Catholic, and like Phish mostly on Phridays during Lent.

Regards,

15. Matt

Matt New Member

They're okay. I don't hate them, but I don't listen to them that much. I know some huge Phish fans, but I don't like Phish enough to own any of their music.

16. Ian

Ian Active Member

As much as I like Phish, I only have one CD ("Lawn Boy" on the A Go Go label). I did see them in '90 and thought they were just incredible. I am waiting for them to come back to Limestone at the old Loring AFB. Missed 'em the last two times they were there

17. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I've just ordered A Picture of Nectar (picked a title at random from an on-line seller :) ) - I'll let you know when I've had a listen

All the best - Andrew

18. Sckott

The live shows are where people "get it", not from the Cds.

Much like how people go to see Dave Matthiews and they're floored, even though they've heard "Crash" and "Everyday", they go to see the concerts and they're FANATICS.

Phish is a lot like this.

19. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

It's not just Phish--I really don't like any seafood (seaphood?):rolleyes: ;)

20. Sckott

Good start. The album opens with "Llamma" and gives you a good idea if you're gonna stick with it.

They do really nice covers live, sometimes Bowie or Beatles as someone mentioned...

21. audio

audio New Member

I've heard a few things by them I thought were okay. Overall, I'm not really into them. Too techy geek without being interesting enough and not enough melody and simplicity for my tastes. Great musicians, though. Maybe I'd change my mind about them if I heard the right stuff.

22. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

My wife is a fan, so I've heard a fair amount of their music, enough to know that they don't appeal to me at all. (I'm not a Dead fan either, though the two are different enough that it really shouldn't make a difference.) I agree that they're a little too technical (I'm more of a punk fan) and the whimsicality in their tunes doesn't do anything for me. They seem to have been heavily influenced by Zappa, but it seems to me that they picked up on some of his more tiresome tendencies (endless jams, etc.) Sorry... :)

23. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

while I can admit they're great musicians, their music just sounds too goofy to me. too many unneccessary, awkward changes for the sake of making it sound complicated.

I don't like the singers voice either :o

I can hear the "Yes" influence, but Yes has a much more listenable collection of awkward changes IMO :laugh:

24. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I do own the "A Live One" double CD set, and think that they are excellent musicians. However, I have a tough time getting into their vocals, and that is the reason that I don't own any of their other CDs. If they ever did an instrumental CD, I might want to check that out. For right now, "A Live One" is enough Phish for me.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

25. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Complete opposite here.
    Sold back the live CD's I bought, love most of the studio stuff - Hoist, Billy Breathes and Rift.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.